Modern Day Hippies In Ca - Research For A New Book

Discussion in 'Writers Forum' started by SisterPeace, Mar 8, 2017.

1. SisterPeace

SisterPeace Members

Hi everyone,

I'm starting research for a new novel that I want to set in northern California or the Pacific Northwest. I'm trying to find books about modern day hippie culture that still exists in these areas. Preferably I would like to choose northern California as I have been to Harbin Hot Springs many times. I would classify that as a hippie enclave. If anyone knows of any novels that are set in any of these locations or any nonfiction about hippie culture that still exists in the Pacific Northwest, I would appreciate any titles. Thank you,

SP

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Don't know of a book, but Arcata, CA near Humboldt State University is the closest thing to a hippie commune I've ever come across. There are so many hippies! :)

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Where even the statutes have their hands out, begging.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_McKinley_statue_(Patigian)#/media/File%3AArcata_McKinley_Statue.jpg

There are pockets, moreso than enclaves.
    The never lefts, the neohippies, the second and third gen hippies, the returnee retirees.

I'm not sure where the Harbin residents are right now, after the fires.

4. Redmanchu

Redmanchu Members

Straight up, just go to Arcata CA. Willits, kinda, too, but I grew up in Humco, so I know it a bit better.