moderator, can we have a "True Christians" section and a "Fake Christians" section?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by ChiefCowpie, May 12, 2004.

1. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Please be aware that Landover Baptist is a fabricated Church.
    Its not real.

Its a fictional Church created by 'artists' and is there vision of what a church should be like to suit their own needs.

I'm not sure if you knew that?

2. Peace

Peace In complete harmony.

Why point out people differences? Isn't it better to debate with both points of view? One sided debates sound like a dragg.

No offense or anything, but we spend all our live pointing out people differences. Isn't it time to spread the unity?

3. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Dont worry Peace.. Chief is just attempting to drop insult bait , without any real creative effort being put into it.

Id appreciate it more if it wasn't so bland and uninspiring as 'Your fake and what you call Heresy is real'.

Come on Chief.. you can do better than that?

4. Spiritforces

Spiritforces Member

I did not knew it, but.... Aren't all the churches created in such a goal? or all the religions establishments?

I'm sorry for sayin this, but there is a part of truth into it

5. Jozak

Jozak Member

The thing is though, I have read REAL websites that say that crap. I thought it was real at first until I read the disclaimer. I cannot count how many fundementlaist sites I have been to that claim Catholics are Mary worshippers, Mormons are cults, etc etc.

I am proud of my Catholicism---damn heretics ;) [joke]

6. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Jozak,
    I don't know who or where all these 'fundamentalists' are because I have yet to find a group refering to themselves in such a way.
    It basically an 'insult' term internet 'smarties' like to use derisively.

I think a few are pointing out that some Catholics are 'Mary Worshippers'... particularly those who pray to her for intersession 'as if' she were part of the GOdHead.
    Others like to insist that she is 'The Mother of God' which presumably means they believe she is almost superior to God himself.

Im not saying you do this - but some deserve to be called 'Mary Worshippers' based on the outrageous and non-biblical beliefs they are following.

7. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

especially in america, there is an overlap between different labels...
    fundamentalist, born-again, bible-based, revivalist, etc...

"the B I B L E,
    yes that's the book for me,
    i stand alone with the word of god,
    the B I B L E !"
    as the song goes...

~

anyways, www.freejesus.net might be considered a "fundamentalist" website...

a sort of anti-religious website with a lotta good links to fundie sites can be found at www.angelfire.com/pa/greywlf/mxl.html

8. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

One need not be a "fundamentalist" to recognize that Mormonism denies basic Christian theology:

http://www.catholic.com/library/Gods_of_the_Mormon_Church.asp

9. TheHammerSpeaks

TheHammerSpeaks Member

I’ve spent years of my life in search of the nature of salvation. I have come to many conclusions which turned out to be dead ends, many truths which I now believe to be false. The sin (that devil) which led me to my wicked answers was one whose essence was a superficial understanding, and perhaps a fear, of faith: I was in search of the fastest possible way to please God and force Him, by His own Law, to grant me eternal life. Of course, I did not realize this at the time. I believed that I could feel the love of God flowing through me, but the “love” that I felt was only a perverse love of myself as I stood in awe of myself, who could unravel the mysteries of His law – But I unraveled nothing; it is mystery precisely because it can not be known.

Nietzsche wrote, to paraphrase, that the philosopher mummifies – dehistoricizes - all that he touches. When deprived of their becoming, all things turn to dust. For me, to be a Christian is to undergo a process, an act of becoming, a life-long struggle between faith and doubt which can never be reconciled. Yet from every such conflict, one’s faith can be strengthened; I firmly believe this.

I have now come to realize that those who wholeheartedly claim that salvation is a product of faith alone, or of good works alone do not fully appreciate (and, consequently, claim to understand!) the totality of faith. Grace is the gift of the key to the Kingdom, given by the Father unto His Elect. It can be given only through the Will of God. Thus, Grace is the immediate cause of salvation; this is undeniable. The question that naturally follows is, “How does one please God and be granted His saving Grace?”

This devil of superficial faith of whom I wrote only a few short paragraphs ago is the devil which tempted me that I could know the Will of God through my feeble intellect, and that it was true that the laws of His creation govern the Will of God. This devil believes that, like a shot fired into the air, a man who is of faith, or a man who does good works will soar into the heavens. Or, like that which is written on our constitutions (which are idols to many), that “All men are equal before the law!” and that there is some divine precedent for salvation. Well, God is limited by no precedent. His Will is good, and His Law is good by extension - not the inverse. His Will is law, and His Law is good, even when it seems terrible to my feeble mind.

What is terrible is terrifying, and, in terror, I turned away from the truth and feared faith. Why? Well, there were two reasons: 1) If God’s Will is good, and God wills of me something that seems unthinkably immoral, it would be right to obey God’s Will, yet to do so would be unbearably painful, and 2) How am I to differentiate between the Voice of God and, say, a hallucination?

After further struggling with faith, I came to the conclusion that the former question answers the latter. If one is of such strong love and deep feeling that to do evil is absolutely unbearable, that is to say impossible, then he could only do such an act with the help of God, since for God nothing is impossible. Of course, I am not such a man. I sin, but there are some sins which I believe I could not commit through my own power. Thus, good works must precede faith – not the inverse, because faith in hands of a man who loves not his neighbour is a dangerous thing. What appears to him to be the Will of God is, in fact, only base urges, and he enjoys carrying out the Will of God. Do not be fooled; one can know the true Will of God because it is hard, because it is painful.

My struggle with faith was far from over, however. At my new knowledge of salvation, I became filled with pride. I had faith! Surely I was one of God’s Elect! But this was not the case. Those who “know” that they are among the Elect are lost. To doubt is human and, paradoxically, evidence of faith. To have faith is to have the humility to realize that while one can never understand the Will of God in its totality (it can only be understood as it is revealed to us), God’s Will is always good. To paraphrase Kierkegaard, if, after the Final Judgment, there is only one man in Hell, and if that man is me, then I will fall to my knees and praise the Judgment of God. Thus, even though I now have a deeper understanding of faith than I did some years ago, I make no presuppositions as to the fate of my immortal soul except that its destination shall be the Will of God, and that it is good

10. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Let me be the first to applaud that as the Mother of All First Posts in the HipForums.

Interesting insights into your process of being perfected too. Many will relate to a lot of the twists and turns, which we all went (or are going) through.

There are a few assertions you make regarding Faith and works.
    In particular, you suggest that works must precede Faith?

Now Ive heard some versions of this but I wonder if you can clarify this more?

If Im 'on the same track' then I think you are talking about the 'action' one makes to recieve the free gift?
    Are you suggesting the one saved by faith 'did something' in the sense they 'did receiving' in order for the gift to be place in their hands?

Interstingly - Kierkegaard was the first philosopher I read.
    (Bertrand Russel was 'the' first but I dont consider him much of a philosopher ;)

11. Smudge

Smudge Member

I am 'uncomfortable' with the Hammer's post.

I think it is unecessarily complicated....

Those who truly have faith in Jesus (who Hammer did not mention), will be able to put profound things in simple terms.

Faith is Gift
    We can never earn it- as we are not perfect beings i.e. nothing, but nothing we can do can gain us faith- it is Gift from the Father's love. (Yes, grace)

Now, once we RECEIVE this faith (which many do not- and strive for it), we will then, out of gratitude and love, as we begin to grow up spiritually, 'do' 'good works' to please our Father.
    As long as we never think we can do anything of spiritual worth, except for it being Him doing it through us...
    ..as that is self-righteousness, our own works.

I do not believe in the 'elect' in a strict Calvinistic way- for as John 3:16 says: whoever believes in Him will not perish....
    But there is nothing WRONG about having assurance, knowledge of our salvation....not when we realise it is the Gift of God.
    If we believe it is somehow, even partially down to any 'good' in us- then yes, indeed, it is wrong to base our assurance on that, as yes indeed we may be lost and not know it.
    For it is God who saves, not us.

12. TheHammerSpeaks

TheHammerSpeaks Member

I appreciate your praise, but please, do not waste it on me. I have no answers; I am no Doctor of Theology. I do not claim to know the Will of God. Indeed, I do not even believe that it can be known in its totality. I believe that there is much to be learned from Socrates when he said that he knew nothing, and that, paradoxically, his claim requires a great deal of contemplation to... understand.

But do not be fooled into believing that the process has an end in sight in this life. Do not assume that perfection can ever be attained. I have struggled for many years and I have yet to see an end in sight. I have no reason to believe that the process of becoming a Christian will even end on my deathbed, should I be blessed enough to spend my last excruciating days in silent contemplation of the Lord.

I believe that this is only practical, not necessarily the Will of God. I was struggling with the following problem: "How do I know that I have faith?" September 11th was a painful experience for all of us, more so, I dare to say, for of us who are religious. Those men certainly believed that they had faith and yet they were able comit a sin so evidently contrary to the Will of God. How could I be sure that I would never make such a fatal mistake? It eventually became evident to me that if I could literally not bring myself to sin of my own power, then that power present in me that allows me to comit an act which appears immoral to me must be the Power of God, and why else would God give me such power unless it is His Will that I comit such an act?

Of course, I sin all the same. I enjoy it. I love to sin. I am not worthy to enter the Kingdom of Heaven and I pray that God will forgive my miserable, wretched soul. I am not at a point in my life where all sin is unthinkable to me; I seriously doubt whether I will ever reach such a point. But I like to believe that I am incapable of such a thing as murder, though I have never been granted an opportunity to test my faith. I do, indeed, fear that it may not be as strong as I like to believe.

I feel that it is a mystery, something which cannot be known. Certainly, God's Grace is a gift through His own Will and requires nothing on the part of the receiver. It is possible for God to grant Grace to anyone, even those who rather not accept it. Faith, on the other hand, is far more complicated. For me, it was a choice, a conscious act of my own feeble will. Yet, in my faith, I find strength in God. This is the paradox, the mystery. As to the origin of good works, it seems to me that the work in itself is the sole product of the man who works it. However, humility in that work, the understanding that for all the good I do on this earth, I am still a sinner and unworthy to enter His Kingdom... this is an understanding of faith.

Unfortunately, Kierkegaard was far from the first philosopher I read. If I had read him sooner, then perhaps I would have arrived at my present understand of faith earlier in my life. Perhaps I would have moved beyond it by now, as well.

Perhaps, then, you can understand how I felt when I first came to these conclusions, the fear I felt.

Perhaps, then, you have stronger faith than I. I do not find that difficult to believe because I am a terribly weak man and an unworthy sinner.

As to the subject of Christology, it is first necessary to understand the nature of both man and God separately to later understand the nature of Christ, who is both God and man. In Christ, all the paradoxes present in man are surely resolved. But this is a luxury awarded only to Christ. Man can never hope to understand the mysteries except through revelation, which, as far as I know, is yet to be full and complete in any one man.

Perhaps you are right and your certainty is a consequence of your faith, and perhaps my confusion is a sign from God, telling me to repent and meditate on the Passion. In either case, I must repent and meditate on the Passion.

13. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

Let me make a suggestion here.

Don't agonise too much over your own inner-conflicts or inability to bridge every minute detail.
    Not that there is no time or place for these questions - because surely there is.

I just happen to think there is a certain point where you can 'try too hard' to justify your own sinful nature in light of Gods Grace.

In the end you can make it needlessly difficult and worse yet - miss out on a lot of celebration and freedom from what ultimately has happened with you!

To put it another way.. (this advice given to me from a brilliant Pastor):

The devil would simply love it if we spent our entire lives trying to 'fix up' that carnal old man we were.
    After all.. every minute we spend trying to examine that dead 'flesh' and keep our eyes on it - is another minute not living in our new spiritual life!

HAmmer.. live in the newness of the life you have been given and that old dead faithless carnal body will have less power than ever before!

:D

14. Jozak

Jozak Member

Go visit the Bob Jones Universtiy (Baptist) site.....or http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/, www.chick.com, http://www.born-again-christian.info/christianity.htm

That is entirely two different things. I don't know ANY Catholic that beleives Mary is a godhead, equivalent to God, etc. We pray to her and saints for intercession--all that means is we ask them to pray for us. I am sure you have asked your family and friends to pray for you, or you tell them you would pray for them, it's the same thing.

There are various accounts in the bible of intercessions, especially with Mary. Early Church fathers are on record of doing this as well, and I will gladly take their word over someone who decided Martin Luther had "seen the light" and formed their own church. (This could get huge, but if you like we can talk about it, possibly start another thread?) Most of the people who beleive this have a very narrow minded view of things, and don't even take the time to really research all the facts about Catholic beleifs, but instead post a site about born again "Christians", and then link it to a JACK CHICK publication--it's the epitome of hypocrisy.

15. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

My main complaint about the word 'Fundamentalist' is that its a word being used primarily by anti-religionists and especially popular in internet forums.

'Fundamentalist' now has an undeserved derogatory meaning.. which is effectively 'meaningless' since it can describe 'anyone'.

Are you a 'Fundamentalist' because you adhere to ancient traditions?
    Am I a 'fundamentalist' because I wont believe certain scriptures are 'allegorical or poetic'?

Its become as meaningless as the words 'Protestant', Pagan or 'literalist'.
    Who are Protestants? Extreme Charismatics? Episcopalians? Dutch Reformed?

Whos a 'Pagan'? Satanists? African bush religions? Goth teenagers role-playing LotR Elvish fantasies?

Thats all Im saying when I critisise the label 'Fundamentalist'.
    Its not a term often used by any Christian groups to describe themselves either.

As to Mary.. well I have to say Im not aware of any biblical instruction on this 'intercession' with the dead?
    I was honestly not aware the dead can hear our prayers but if they can - then I suppose they can pray for us.

16. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

side note here...
    well, this last sunday (trinity sunday) the congregation recited (read it, actually, 'cuz whosoever knoweth this one by heart is seriously out there...) ----> THE ATHANASIAN CREED !

whoa...

17. Jozak

Jozak Member

I totally see what you mean, but I mean fundementalist Christians, who take the KJV bible literal on all parts, oh except for the Catholic beleifs of communion and other places. Catholics for the most part don't interpret the entire bible literally, becasue it is somewhat dangerous ( and in my opinion foolish) to do so. Protestants are Christians who are not of Catholic/Orthodox denominations. Protestants=protest, that includes Baptists, Methodists, Anglicans, Mormons, Presbyterians, etc.

The dead can hear our prayers becasue they are alive in heaven (or purgatory but I am sure you don't beleive in that) Even the Jews pray to/for the dead.

A great example of Mary's intercession with Christ was at the Wedding of Cannon, I forgot the passages, but it's a pretty famous story.

18. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

i can assure you that most denominations who would accept (however grudgingly) the label "protestant" would balk at being grouped with LDS (mormon)...
    ~
    the marriage at cana --- was the first miracle of jesus --- the old "water into wine" trick...
    mary the mother of jesus came to him and said that the wedding feast had run out of wine; he finally agreed to attend to the problem, & had the stewards fill jars with water & then taste the liquid - which had suddenly become the best wine...
    (possible historical variation: why would his mother come to him about needing more wine for the party, unless the very groom of the feast was jesus himself?)
    ymmv...

19. Brocktoon

Brocktoon Banned

I can not believe the wedding could possibly be used to justify prayers to Mary.

I wonder what happened to 'the Guff' in Catholicism?

Did that get done away with by the Priest Luther or do some catholics still Protest that reform?

20. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Did you look at the link I cited in my previous post? Mormons are not Christians!

Are the dead omnicient and omnipresent like God?

Augustine drew exactly the opposite conclusion from this passage:

Why, then, said the Son to the mother, "Woman, what have I to do with thee? mine hour is not yet come?" Our Lord Jesus Christ was both God and man. According as He was God, He had not a mother; according as He was man, He had. She was the mother, then, of His flesh, of His humanity, of the weakness which for our sakes He took upon Him. But the miracle which He was about to do, He was about to do according to His divine nature, not according to His weakness; according to that wherein He was God not according to that wherein He was born weak. But the weakness of God is stronger than men. His mother then demanded a miracle of Him; but He, about to perform divine works, so far did not recognize a human womb; saying in effect, "That in me which works a miracle was not born of thee, thou gavest not birth to my divine nature; but because my weakness was born of thee, I will recognize thee at the time when that same weakness shall hang upon the cross." This, indeed, is the meaning of "Mine hour is not yet come." For then it was that He recognized, who, in truth, always did know. He knew His mother in predestination, even before He was born of her; even before, as God, He created her of whom, as man, He was to be created, He knew her as His mother: but at a certain hour in a mystery He did not recognize her; and at a certain hour which had not yet come, again in a mystery, He does recognize her. For then did He recognize her, when that to which she gave birth was a-dying. That by which Mary was made did not die, but that which was made of Mary; not the eternity of the divine nature, but the weakness of the flesh, was dying. He made that answer therefore, making a distinction in the faith of believers, between the who; and the how, He came. For whiIe He was God and the Lord of heaven and earth, He came by a mother who was a woman. In that He was Lord of the world, Lord of heaven and earth, He was, of course, the Lord of Mary also; but in that wherein it is said, "Made of a woman, made under the law," He was Mary's son. The same both the Lord of Mary and the son of Mary; the same both the Creator of Mary and created from Mary. Marvel not that He was both son and Lord. For just as He is called the son of Mary, so likewise is He called the son of David; and son of David because son of Mary. Hear the apostle openly declaring, "Who was made of the seed of David according to the flesh." Hear Him also declared the Lord of David; let David himself declare this: "The Lord said to my Lord, Sit Thou on my right hand." And this passage Jesus Himself brought forward to the Jews, and refuted them from it. How then was He both David's son and David's Lord? David's son according to the flesh, David's Lord according to His divinity; so also Mary's son after the flesh, and Mary's Lord after His majesty. Now as she was not the mother of His divine nature, whilst it was by His divinity the miracle she asked for would be wrought, therefore He answered her, "Woman, what have I to do with thee?" But think not that I deny thee to be my mother: "Mine hour is not yet come;" for in that hour I will acknowledge thee, when the weakness of which thou art the mother comes to hang on the cross. Let us prove the truth of this. When the Lord suffered, the same evangelist tells us, who knew the mother of the Lord, and who has given us to know about her in this marriage feast,-the same, I say, tells us, "There was there near the cross the mother of Jesus; and Jesus saith to His mother, Woman, behold thy son! and to the disciple, Behold thy mother!" He commends His mother to the care of the disciple; commends His mother, as about to die before her, and to rise again before her death. The man commends her a human being to man's care. This humanity had Mary given birth to. That hour had now come, the hour of which He had then said, "Mine hour is not yet come."