mmmmm...chai

Discussion in 'Beverages' started by blueeyedmerle, Aug 18, 2005.

1. blueeyedmerle

blueeyedmerle Member

i got so sick of paying rediculous prices at starbucks and other coffee chains for my chai every few days that i decided to make my own. i just about had it yesterday when i bought a chai latte at barnes and noble and they charged me for extra chai and for soymilk, which costs less than regular milk.

anyway - enough venting - my apartment smells wonderful tonight, all the lovely spices brewing together. i can't wait to try it. i'm so excited to be making my favorite drink on my own! i think it will make it so much more satisfying. i'll let y'all know how it tastes!

2. BradinTheGreat

BradinTheGreat Member

I love chai! There's a place near where I live called The Last Drop Coffee Shop. They make the best chai! I hope yours turns out great!

3. blueeyedmerle

blueeyedmerle Member

thanks - its almost done!

the best chai i ever had was in crested butte colorado - i can't remember the name of the shop but ill always remember the chai. it was so strong and spicy. ive never had anything even compare.

4. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

I lllllove chai tea too. :D I think I lllllllove the smell even more than the taste coz it's just so incredibly yummylicious. :D

5. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Chai tea is the mostest bestest drink in all of the world. :D

6. zeljko-h

zeljko-h Member

is this chai thing some brand name or what? i mean, in croatian ''chai'' means ''tea'', so i read here you drink tea-coffee and tea-tea, but tea-tea is the best, lol
    please explain, somebody
    thanks

7. HippyFreek2004

HippyFreek2004 changed screen name

Chai is a specific blend of spices/herbs/leaves/whatever that is used to brew a tea. it's got a very distinct taste and smell, almost like pumpkin spice.

I love it. I had my first one when I got here to Seattle, and I fell in love. Nothing better than a chai tea latte.

8. YellowBellyHippy

YellowBellyHippy Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Love Chai! I had an iced chai the other night at Barnes and Noble and it was great. I wasn't sure if I would like it iced or not but you just can't drink hot tea when it is 106 degrees outside. Damn it, I can't wait to move out of this nasty fucking place called Texas! Hrmph!

9. zeljko-h

zeljko-h Member

ok, thanks. i'll ask in tea-shops if they have it, but i'm afraid they all have the same variants of green and white teas. too bad we don't have some chinese herb-shop here in zagreb instead of this hundreds chinese shops with cheap chlotes and plastic junk

10. Beautiful_Day

Beautiful_Day Member

Its the same here in the UK with all the chinese plasticy junk shops!!

but as far as chai tea is concerned, its not really a chinese thing....its more western.. Basically its just tea (black, green or white) with added black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, galangal maybe, whatever spicy stuff you can get you hands on :)

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Chai is indian, and also means tea in Hindi.
    In Hebrew it means "life" and I read something into that!
    to make chai you need
    good black tea, cardomom, cinnamon, black pepper and cloves.

12. drumminmama

oh, I add ginger because I like spicy "zings."
    I also like spicy THINGS. the above is not a typo.

13. IronGoth

IronGoth Newbie

Please stop saying "chai tea!"

Chai is the word for "tea" in dozens of languages.

14. drumminmama

unless they mean life tea!