Mmm, I need a good recipe...

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by madlizard, Jun 27, 2006.

1. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

For some sort of shampoo or soap for my hair..

You see, I'm trying to naturally dreadlock it and I need something that's not going to leave any residue.. and I'm having a hard time finding anything in stores that works for my hair.

Anything I can make on my own to clean my hair?

Thanks, loves :)

2. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

baking soda!!! and apple cider vinegar to rinse!!!

3. bruschetta

bruschetta Member

shudder good luck to you:eek:

4. madlizard

madlizard Senior Member

Ah, why the sudder?

:(

5. bruschetta

bruschetta Member

it takes months and months and years and years and even then it looks gross and feels gross and smells gross and doesnt work all that well....

and trust me.... if you are the person that you seem to be you probobly wont even want dreads anymore after like 6 months:)

6. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

it's sad that some people feel the need to voice their opinions in such a negative way.

madlizard, there's a dreads forum in the personal forums where you should be able to find some info on different ways to wash them. i definately respect any attempt at using more natural products. good luck :)

7. bruschetta

bruschetta Member

No, not opinions, I was speaking from experience. I was trying to offer some constructive advice to a person who seems to be making a fairly significant decision concerning their lifestyle. There isnt always a bright side to everything.

I am sorry if I offended you madlizard, but you can chill out sarahstar; I was only trying to be helpful.

8. mamaboogie

mamaboogie anarchist

what??? the dreads or the not using commercial shampoos with harmful chemicals? Either way, I disagree with you.

to the OP, here are some threads that might help you
    http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168727
    http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164298

http://hipforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136945

most especially that last one :) I bumped it up to the top of the dread forum for you.

9. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

that's the part that i was talking about. that sounded pretty judgemental to me unless you know this person. sorry if i'm wrong.

10. *josai*

*josai* Member

hey mad lizard
    don't let the negativity discourage you! if you're going to have dreads, you'll face a LOT of adversity, but we all know that's just part of the journey (a *positive* part imo)!!!! dreads are a completely natural evolution......more power to you sister!
    anyway, i have a completely natural homemade shampoo recipe from one of my favorite herbals....BUT i'm on my way to work, so i'll post it for you tonight
    it's fun to make, easy to use, & you can completely customize it for yourself

11. *josai*

*josai* Member

Rosemary Gladstar's shampoo recipe:
    8oz distilled water
    1oz herbs (choose from list following)
    3oz liquid castille soap (dr.bronner's works well)
    1/4 tsp jojoba oil (you could use hemp too)
    25 drops essential oil (list following)

directions:
    (1)bring water to boil. add herbs, cover & let simmer over LOW heat 15 to 20 minutes. strain & cool
    (2)slowly add castile soap, then jojoba oil & essential oil. store in plastic container with flip top lid & always shake well before using.

now for the herbs:
    for light hair - 2parts calendual flowers, 1part chamomile flowers, 1part comfrey leaf
    for dark hair - 2parts sage leaf, 1part black walnut hull, 1part comfrey leaf
    for dry hair - 1part calendula flowers, 1part marshmallow root, 1part nettle leaf
    for oily hair - 1part rosemary leaf, 1part witch hazel bark, 1part yarrow leaf & flower

essential oils:
    basil - oily hair & to promote growth
    chamomile - fine to normal hair, gives golden highlights
    clary sage - all types, dandruff treatment
    lavender - normal hair, for itchy scalp & even lice
    lemon - oily hair, gives golden highlights
    patchouli - oily hair, dandruff
    peppermint - dry hair, promotes growth
    rose - fine hair, soothes scalp
    rosemary - oily hair, dandruff treatment & to promote growth
    tea tree - oily hair, dry scalp/dandruff/lice
    ylang ylang - oily hair, dandruff

this recipe is fun bc you can personalize it with scents you like & for the type of hair you have. i usually make more than one & switch it up....even the good stuff can leave build-up if you use it all the time

let me know if you make anything. i'd love to hear your experience!

12. Yakima

Yakima Member

I have two questions for you. What is castille soap? I translated it to swedish and it says it is spanish soap. Is it just ordinary soap?
    And for the herbs, should I use all three of them or is it enough with one?

Thanks for the receipe =)

13. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Months and months and years and years isn't that long compared to an entire lifetime.

I have dreads. What kind of person am I if I have them? (In your opinion, of course.

I don't think my hair looks gross...it doesn't feel gross and it doesn't smell gross...because I wash it. *shrugs*

14. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Castile soap is soap made mainly of vegetable oil instead of animal fat. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castile_soap

15. Yakima

Yakima Member

I've tried the receipe now, it worked pretty good =). Though my hair got a little bit oily, could be because I had to use olive oil instead of jojobaoil. I used sage, rosemary and then tea tree oil in it and it smells really nice =)

16. HonorSeed

HonorSeed Senior Member

I used olive oil for years .....out under the sun, the combo turned my hair almost a gold color. ....golden blonde long hair felt cool.......and since it is so fine, little strands didn't tickle my face....eww..eee...
    yeah oily.....I think I will annoint myself now:)

peace
    Honor
    [​IMG]