Mit Researcher’S New Warning: At Today’S Rate, Half Of All U.s. Children Will Be Autistic By 2025

Discussion in 'The Autism Spectrum' started by YouFreeMe, Jan 17, 2015.

1. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

This story didn't get a lot of coverage (by mainstream media, anyhow), but we don't know what causes autism and I think this theory is worth exploring. What do you think?

http://earthweareone.com/mit-researchers-new-warning-at-todays-rate-half-of-all-u-s-children-will-be-autistic-by-2025/

Research scientist Stephanie Seneff of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), a widely published author on topics ranging from Azlheimer’s Disease to autism and cardiovascular disease, raised plenty of eyebrows recently with a bold proclamation on autism at a special panel in Massachusetts about genetically modified organisms and other topics.

“At today’s rate, by 2025, one in two children will be autistic,” Seneff said last Thursday in Groton, MA at an event sponsored by the holistic-focused Groton Wellness organization.
    Seneff presented slides showing a remarkably consistent correlation between the rising use of Roundup (with its active ingredient glyphosate) on crops and the rising rates of autism; while it doesn’t show a direct correlation it does give researchers plenty to think about, especially considering Seneff’s research into the side effects of autism that mimic glyphosate toxicity and deficiencies.

[​IMG]

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

But Monsanto says it's perfectly safe and we should use more. [/sarcasm]

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Interesting to say the least! Personally I think every theory that can give insight in the cause and prevention of autism is worth exploring :p I have no idea how plausible it is though.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

there is a little rainman in all of us..

5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

seems like a feasible theory to me

6. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Simply showing that glyphosate use has increased more or less at the same rate that children have been served by a government program doesn't make glyphosate the cause of autism.

For one thing, the number of children served by a program does not necessarily correlate precisely or even well with the total number of autistic children. There are also plenty of other things that might correlate well with the increased rates of autism.

What's more compelling (if it is in fact acurate) is that glyphosate toxicity shares some characteristics with autism.

Sounds like it's worth investigating further.

I'll be happy if all the looney tunes start blaming glyphosate for autism instead of vaccines.

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Yea, the whole vaccine thing needs to be put to rest. There might be reasons not to vaccinate your children, but the autism thing certainly isn't one of them.

8. Tom155

Tom155 Member

This is troubling stuff. I have autism and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I was diagnosed with high-functioning autism 3 years ago. At the time it was colloquially called Asperger's but the APA has since placed the Asperger's disorder under the classification of "Autism Spectrum Disorder".

My case was reviewed by a number of cognitive scientists. Every single one of them diagnosed me with autism. I was in denial for a long time and was under the delusion that they had made some sort of a horrific misdiagnoses but I slowly came to my senses. Everything made sense. I simply lacked the ability to read social situations. It's why I was bullied and singled out as a child.

When diagnosing autism psychologists look for a number of behavioral cues indicative of social skills deficits. These include:

-prosody deficits.and odd speech patterns
    -steroetypy and odd repetitive behaviours
    -avoiding eye contact
    -narrow range of interests.
    -poor dress sense
    -odd gait and manner of walking
    -specific social skills deficits
    -avoidance of task demand... I would throw tantrums when I was asked to perform a laborious task that I didnt want to do

I hit every checkbox.

-My voice is very "nasally" and I tend to make odd voice inflections
    -I fidget a lot when I'm nervous
    -I never looked people in the eye when talking to them. Instead I would just look around the room at my feet
    -I played League of Legends 6 hours a day,
    -I would only wear cargo pants, dress shirts, and basketball shoes.
    -I would sometimes make a kicking motion when walking
    -I'm a wreck in social situations.. I simply drone on and on about topics other people aren't interested in, and I tend to mistake their politeness for interest in my topic of conversation.

Since then the autism clinic sessions have allowed me to make great strides. I'm still clueless socially but I'm able to keep the more troubling aspects of my behaviour under control. It's a struggle but I'm making progress.

2 people like this.
  9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

one correlation that I see immediately is the correlation between the higher numbers diagnosed and the widening of the criteria for diagnosis in the DSM

http://www.unstrange.com/dsm1.html

the chart shows pretty clearly that the increase corresponds with the broader diagnostic criteria more than any other factor.

I love how these type of things never take into account the diagnostic criteria.
    In 1987 when the criteria was really broadened saw a jump in the number of diagnosis, same with 1994, 2000.
    Again with the release of the DSM-V.http://aapnews.aappublications.org/content/early/2013/06/04/aapnews.20130604-1
    Essentially what happened is lots of kids fell within the diagnosis of autism overnight when the criteria was broadened, not necessarily because of vaccines or pesticides.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

there are worse things then being autistic. we have a culture now, that makes anyone with a brain want to avoid it.

11. volunteer_tommy

volunteer_tommy Elongated Member

[​IMG]

Okay, okay, granted, there's more to the information presented in the OP than in the above graph, but personally I think she's still jumping to conclusions a bit. Hopefully she'll get more attention and funding so the matter can be looked into on a deeper level, because I wouldn't trust any reports from Monsanto anyway!

12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

What sort of autism are you referring to? Can you describe a person with autism as you perceive them?

13. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Correlations can be extremely misleading

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But some of them are more serious than others. I think this one is worth exploring, I doubt there would ever be funding for it, though, not as things stand today.

3 people like this.
  14. Tom155

Tom155 Member

The definition of autism has changed over the years simply because we've gotten a better and more complete understanding of the disorder. It's unfortunate that the disorder has no known cure, drug, or treatment option.

It's a lifelong disability. I used to for instance make a kicking motion while walking and while I learned through behavioural reinforcement to stop this habit the core disabilities associated with autism still persist and will always persist. I can't read other people at all. It's very difficult for me to read their emotional body language.

one thing is that males tend to have autism at far higher rates than women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjE_yaJjXE8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJYmvlXH3ZU
    ^but women can also suffer from autism.

15. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Why anyone would buy something from a company with that name is beyond me.

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

LOL

17. Tom155

Tom155 Member

Autism is an extremely widespread disorder. I'm glad there is more media attention being given to it. Perhaps this will prompt researchers to find a cure.

For instance, even Vladimir Putin is believed to suffer from Autism..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/vladimir-putin/11392680/Vladimir-Putin-suffers-from-Aspergers-syndrome-Pentagon-report-claims.html

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if today's dominant culture doesn't get its head out of its greedy ass, we will all have excelent reason to become authistic ourselves. not that that will do us any good.
    imagining our artifacts and so called civilization, somehow insulate us for this planet's diversity of life, of which we are still apart, is itself a kind of collective autism.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What is the alternative to greed though.

By the same logic you have displayed there, that everything is of the same system.

Humans would not have gotten to this point if we werent exactly the way we were/are

You exist because the 10,000 generations that preceded you were greedy selfish fuckers

20. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I had to read through this a few times to understand what you were trying to say. But yes, humans do seem to strive to benefit themselves in the short term, with a noticeable disregard for long term consequences. But so do most non-humans. I'm not really sure how this pertains to autism.

Another question: Is the rate of autism even rising, or is it just diagnosed more?