Milk substitutes

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by moondaddy, Feb 7, 2009.

1. moondaddy

moondaddy Member

I do have a vita mix and just discovered another winner: rice and almond or cashew. You soak the nuts overnight first and then puree them, then add about half rice milk. It really mellows that strong nutty flavor of plain nut milks. Super on oatmeal or as a snack with some whole grain bread. I'm glad to get off of the soy. It was starting to give me the mean headaches. If you can get cashews as bits or small pieces they're a lot cheaper. Almonds I'm lucky on: my brother in law grows them!

2. chemigals

chemigals They call me Chemi

WOW thats so sweet so you get your almonds free??:)

3. moondaddy

moondaddy Member

4. bcsher

bcsher Member

It's sad that many of you can't get hemp milk! The taste really varies by brand. We can grow it here in Canada, and have lots of hemp products available.
    Cheesecloth and jersey fabric are good for unchunking your homemade almond milk, if you just have a blender like me. Takes a little patience. The solids come out like a paste and you can sweeten it a little with agave or honey (or whichever sweetener you like best/aren't trying to avoid). I just add the paste to my smoothies!