Military

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Jul 27, 2013.

1. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Joining the USAF back in 1993 was the best decision I ever made and after serving honorably for 6 years it opened up many doors [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hotwater

2. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I plan on joining the USAF myself once I get off my adhd medication for a year, what was your career in the USAF hotwater?

3. hotwater

Radar Systems :2thumbsup:

hotwater

4. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

:2thumbsup: nice job mang.

[​IMG]

5. hotwater

Thank you I am now diminished :(
    I will retreat into a cabin deep within the north woods and live out the rest of my life as a hermit [​IMG]

Hotwater

6. TopNotchStoner

TopNotchStoner Georgia Homegrown

lol That's some funny shit. People called me "Radar" when I was in basic training for the army because I have big ears. haha

7. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I often wonder if I will be given a nickname in basic. so far I have been given these nicknames in life
    Blondie (mom)
    Legs or little legs ( little legs if my older brother is around because he is legs to)
    fozzy (when my beard grows out its blonde and cinnamon like fozzy bear)
    mr.sunshine (my bus driver because I was happy, but never smile on the bus)
    sunshine ( bus driver)

Hillbilly (here)

Google (I am a serial googler, as well as reader, and educational tv watcher so my friends sometimes call me google because of the infinite number of random facts i know)

8. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

also koolaid ( because i love koolaid) and the fat man

because I was severely overweight, and its one of my favorite songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVotSuyWYs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVotSuyWYs

9. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

10. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

11. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

I'm doing my pvt licence now. I have another 25 hours to go, plus navigation and night flying tests :)

12. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

For the air force, or a civilians license?

13. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

civil, I can't join any military :(

14. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

And why is that if you don't mind me asking?

15. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I disagree. I think I have an unpopular opinion. But a cheap insult on an unrelated topic isn't really necessary.

I could get into a lot of things here. The short answer is yes. Not saying a lot of people aren't. I definitely think the military wants you to think a certain way. They have powerful tools in their hands. They can literally make human beings kill each other in cold blood for things that aren't even REAL (money, religion, patriotism, things that only have meaning because we say they do).

Obviously not every service member is responsible for murdering people. But why partake in an organization that does this? It's like working for the marketing section of a tobacco company.

I don't hate those in the military. We are getting to a point (in the USA) where the same families join the military generation after generation. It isn't their fault that they have been made to glorify and honor this institution that is so destructive. They don't know to think for themselves.

My boyfriend was in the air force. He said it was the biggest mistake of his life and became a pacifist half way through his career and resigned. His friend was a reporter in the middle east for the military. The higher-ups would tell his friend which news could and could not be reported. If they didn't like something they would just change it. They wanted themselves to look good. No stories about the murder of innocent civilians I bet.

I'm obviously not explaining myself well/oversimplifying the situation. You can attack my clothing size all that you'd like but it won't necessarily change anything. Or contribute anything to the discussion.

By the way...I'm talking about the American military here. I can't say anything for Australia or England or Germany. I do know that these countries are a bit less aggressive, less destructive, less "eagle"-like. So I'm primarily talking about my own country. I can't say anything negative about yours.

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I'm sorry to offend anyone. I honestly thought I would find more kindred spirits in a place like this.

Obviously it is hard to see past the shiny and glorious exterior that the military puts forth--after all they have a LOT of power and a LOT of money. They want you to see them exactly how they want you to see them. And it is working.

17. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I come from a long military lineage on my mom's side, all the way back to the revolutionary war.

My mom was very disappointed when I didn't join up at 18. Yeah, I'm opposed to most of our military actions. I believe we should employ a non interventionist approach. But this was before 9/11 when I was 18 - I just have never liked authority.

Most of my friends that joined don't have many good things to say about their experiences. Even my stepdad who is a retired colonel implicitly says the military is not the same it was.

I suppose this is what happens when the commander in chief is owned by corporate money.

18. lode

lode Banned

The US has built up a military industry which requires perpetual war to exist. We will always be at war, now and forever, until something really drastically changes. Those wars will be based on resources and other socioeconomic issues.

Being a member of the military you are charged with upholding that inherently wicked dynamic.

That aside, the military does provide good opportunities, often to people who wouldn't have them otherwise, and it calls those people heroes and gives them medals. And my soldier upholding wicked policies is someone elses hero, so I don't really judge someone with that different world view, as destructive as I see it.

19. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

No diminishment intended, everybody loves radar!:p

I knew you could take it :cool: sorry about cuttin' off yer hat lol

20. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member