Military

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Just by using your brain. You don't always have to join or be a victim of something to have a well founded opinion about it.

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Personally I'm in favor of two years compulsory military duty.
    If America did that I feel we would have a better, more rounded out military force and not one populated by kids forced to decide between jail, crime or military service.
    It makes a difference.

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It sure would. I hope it would make americans rebel again like it's 1969 :D I agree it could possibly make a positive difference for the military but not for anything else. You don't oblige people to (possibly) serve in combat (anymore).

4. Sig

Sig Senior Member

The military you imagine Noxious, one populated by men and women forced to choose between jail, crime, and military service, is not one that is at all reflected by reality. Are there those who made that choice? Yes, I am sure they are. Given my experience however they are very, very rare. Personally, I never met someone like that while I was in the Marines.

I have always been against compulsory military service. Regular, professional military forces have always performed far, far better and more efficient than their counterparts comprised of conscripts.

5. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Hey there Sig, I knew this guy who came back from Iraq from the Army, hes now the manager of family dollar. He loves to shoot the breeze about military life when I check out on the rare occasions I shop there. He told me that before he left the military, they set him in a room, and made him sign a paper, saying that he would not use the training he had in the united states military to train terrorists. They would not let him leave custody, until he signed that paper, is this a pretty common practice. I get it and it makes some sense, but what about the retired fbi, cia, and military who give tactical training to civilians wanting to learn to defend themselves , some of these include working as a unit, and also sniper courses

There are a lot of preppers out there, so couldn't the government say oh preppers are terrorists, or a suspected terrorist, you trained a terrorist,you goin to jail

6. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Do you know what he did in the army? Personally, I have never heard of someone having to sign such a document.

7. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

No but if that is so, he must of done some serious stuff

8. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Or he is full of shit.

9. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

that is also a possibility and is probably more likely

10. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

Both my brother and my father have served on the front lines of Iraq and Afghanistan, my dad Vietnam and Somalia as well. They will mention something off handed, usually about their mates, but they will rarely talk about their own experiences. Even my mum who has served twice aboard American Hospital ships, once in the Gulf and once with the Tsunami relief doesn't talk much about it.

11. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

What anime is your picture from melanie?

12. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

I have no idea HH, I'm not an anime fan, but it was the only default avatar I could find, see as Hip won't allow regular members to have their own avatars...oh no, you have to pay for that..... RFLMAO! I have never heard of that one before?????

13. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

yeah seems a bit odd some of the features you have to pay for, but servers cost money

14. odonII

odonII O

15. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

If you start a forum off your own bat, you pay for it yourself simply because it is your baby. Sure if it is too costly for an individual, you could ask members for donations, as I have done (my forum costs me annually about a $500 or so). But to say 'yeah sure you can have your own avatar, but you will have to pay for it' is nothing more than a money grab. If you are offering as well merchandise, that is more money in your pocket. I will give you an example. I have been a member of Gate World for over 5 years, that forum has been going now since 02 I think, it is the largest Sci-Fi community forum on the web and it is expensive to run on VB4, but the owner asks for nothing from his members, he receives income from merchandising and advertising.

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Ohhhh, nice little stab at me there! :) I'm pretty sure you can wear size zero outfits anywhere--especially in poor countries where they can't afford the abundance of fattening food so readily available in the first world!

Anyhow.

Thank most of your for your replies. This was more of a vent. I know my opinion in unpopular. That is ok.

Whether or not we need a military--it frightens me that someone would choose to participate in this violent and often corrupt organization. I've watched many people become brainwashed and I can't support it.

I feel like George Carlin said it well:

“Military cemeteries around the world are packed with brainwashed dead soldiers who were convinced God was on their side. America prays for God to destroy our enemies. Our enemies pray for God to destroy us. Somebody’s gonna be disappointed! Somebody’s wasting their fucking time! Could it be… everyone?”

17. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

Theres selection of avatars avaiable. If you pay you get some bonuses, like possibility to upload your own avatar and some crap like that, which is probably suppossed to make you either less sad about paid money or more happy from being a supporting member.

It is not like anyone needs avatars for anything so I don't see a problem there.

18. odonII

odonII O

I think you deserved it...

19. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

You make a valid point, but really what can we do about it?

20. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Yep, we're brainwashed. That must be it.