Military

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by YouFreeMe, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I agree with you that PTSD has become a major health issue within the military.

More needs to be done to assist members and families to deal with it and to be able to live normally after service.

2. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

Actually prior to and post 911. Al Queda and their associates have been responsible for many more deaths than that. Most of the civilian casualties in both Iraq and Afghanistan have been caused by these groups. While Saddam was no direct threat to us, he was responsible for the deaths of many of his own citizens, as well as harboring and sponsoring terrorism against the west. You seem to single out the US a lot, both of these wars and previous actions (The Balkans, Somalia) were all coalition actions.
    I will admit there are some cowboys in the military and a few have caused unwarranted deaths, but I will ask you this. Say for example you are living in a small hypothetical country and you are being overrun by a terrorist organisation, wouldn't you wish someone to come to your aid? In Afghanistan, 70% of the population want the coalition to remain whilst the taliban are still around.

Oh and FYI, I have tried several times to enlist. I am rejected because I have aspergers. But given the chance I would serve my country proudly.

3. RIPTIDE59

RIPTIDE59 Banned

Given the current state of islam ; this country is in dire need of an aggressive military. Certain men have a certain personality that will be needed to defend our Constitution from sharia law. These men need not be drafted ; they will enlist. They will know their craft and perform it flawlessly.

4. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

I'm sure this may have already been addressed but just jumping in here really quick ..then I'll read a bit more of this thread... get some actual SLEEP tonight and catch up on this thread again tomorrow...
    but deviate wasn't saying we are in ww3 BECAUSE we are involved in a proxy war with Russia? they are two separate things and he was using the proxy war as an example to show that all the players for the third world war are already arriving with their play books. The proxy war with Russia is just one small stepping stone on the way to the arrival of ww3. All the players are in the exact places they need to be for the war to begin... the big players... i'll post some more on this tomorrow but you can look it up yourself if you want, if not I'll find you some stuff that I thought was decent and post it up tomorrow for you to read. :)

**another thing quick that I had noted in as far as I've caught up in this thread... (still have a ways to go) is that gongshaman is 100 million percent ;) right about the stats of rape in the military that is NOT PUNISHED..often not even looked into. the numbers are VERY high...it's scary and it's often by sergeants, etc-high ranking people.

5. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

I plan on joining the airforce....flyin jets and round house kickin like chuck norris lol naw im joining as SERE or computers in cyber surety

6. hillbillyhippy

hillbillyhippy Member

Its 2013 dude, they passed a law saying women can serve in direct combat roles now

7. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Really?

No, wait....reallllly?

:confused:

;)

8. odonII

odonII O

Officials from all military service branches told Congress today they can open combat positions to women by 2016 without lowering physical or performance standards.

Six months after the Pentagon announced it was lifting a ban on women serving in ground-combat units, military officials charged with implementing the policy said they’ve started the studies needed to make it work.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...ombat-roles-by-2016-u-dot-s-dot-military-says

9. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Hi. :) Okay, I just wna comment I was sitting here reading entire post thinking... "yep.. uh huh... I agree.. yes.. I agree.... BUT PLEASE SAY WHAT NEEDS TO BE SAID TO MAKE A DISTINCTION BETWEEN THOSE ON TOPS AND SOLDIERS.-other young kids ...18, 19, 20 yrs old and such....

and then I read what I quoted above about them being pawns... and just wanna say that since you included that, excellent post and totally right on mark there.

10. odonII

odonII O

Ok. Thanks. I understand what you are saying, and it's something for me to think about. When I think of a world war I think of boots on the ground, and battle lines etc. If Russia signed an arms contract in 2010, I struggle to believe they would have forseen what is going on in 2013. "Russian president told a news conference after a summit with European Union leaders that Russia did not want to upset the military balance in the region and all its arms sales to Syria were in line with international law." "Russia is not planning to supply Syria with any weapons beyond the current contracts that are nearing completion, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said refuting speculations that Moscow was going to sell S-300 air defense systems to Damascus." Doesn't really strike me as aggressive.

I'll happily read you next post(s).

11. skitzo child

skitzo child PEACEFUL LIBRA

Hoe can someone talk about the military when they never experinced it first hand

12. odonII

odonII O

Just about everybody does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZTNS54Vl1c"]Obama: Military not a game of Battleship - YouTube

13. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Who you callin a hoe?

;)

how can anyone talk about anything they haven't experienced first hand?

14. Melanie_86

Melanie_86 Member

I'm a life long military brat. Both my parents were Naval officers, my mother is still on active reserve. I've lived on and around military bases most of my life until only recently, including in the US. My eldest sister is an officer in the RAN and my brother until last year was a member of one of Australia's elite Special services. My own experience, even though I am disqualified from regular service, I spent 8 years in the Air Force reserve cadets.... is that enough for me to comment? Lol

15. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

I was just sarcastically using the same words from the post I quoted.

But then I guess you knew that ...... :coffee:

16. odonII

odonII O

I didn't. So you don't believe that?

17. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

What part? the ordained part or the rape part?

It hopefully isn't being ordained by anyone but there is rape. And it appears to be a lot.

18. odonII

odonII O

19. Sig

Sig Senior Member

True enough. There is a difference between bragging and simply telling stories though. It has been my experience that vets, like myself, run the gamut when it comes to what they are willing to talk about. I know men who have seen a lot heavier shit than me that are willing to talk about it at the drop of a hat. On the flip side, I know men who weren't even directly shot at who have trouble relaying their experiences.

20. Sig

Sig Senior Member

No law was passed. Instead a ban has been "lifted" on women serving in line units (a bad idea, IMO). Either way, each branch has leeway in regards to implementing this and, if they can justify it, certain units and job fields will remain closed to women (most likely special forces and, if I had to guess, infantry). Still, I think there will come a point where the civilian leadership will not allow military common sense to stand in the way of "progress", and even those justifications will be ignored.