Might be buying a 79 Ford van (Converted)

Discussion in 'Camping/Outdoor Living' started by Running Horse, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I would just go with the camper.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Takes awhile to not fall of the seat while sleeping but hardly any animal gets to you ;)
    [​IMG]

3. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

Hmm how to state this quickly and without philosophy and politics......

For me the less I have the more free I feel. Life is about balance and living in a van is right in the middle of the teeter totter for me

4. Nebulous

Nebulous Carpe diem

What about cooking? Showers? Using the restroom?

5. cooking can easily be done over a fire or propane stove.
    showers can be gat at the truck stop facilities. bathrooms are disposable, or easily dug.

Running Horse likes this.
  6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

[​IMG]

One of these! :)

We used to carry them in our backpack when hiking and camping in the wilderness of northern Idaho/Montana. You have to lug the fuel too, but it's not very heavy; just flammable.

7. Varmint

Varmint Member

Had several different burners with differing types of tanks. My popcan stove is just as efficient for anyghing I want to do and the fuel is in a small container in my cook pot. I'd be inclined to carry a larger can of it in a van or trailer, though. Or one of these coleman burners is just as good. They don't simmer well, though, and I've burned a lot of stuff trying to simmer with one. Great for big pots and pans, though.

One that DOES simmer quite well is the SVEA-123 camp stove, which I was able to turn almost all the way down:
    SVEA-123 Cook Stove.jpeg

soulcompromise likes this.
  8. Nebulous

Nebulous Carpe diem

I assume there’s no refrigerator or place to store food so you’ll constantly be going to a grocery store daily or eating fast food daily. You’ll be driving to truck stops (or maybe join a gym) to shower, shave, etc (in public) daily. Where’s the freedom? You’ll be a slave to your routine, working WAY harder to accomplish the mundane tasks that the rest of us non-homeless people take for granted. I sympathize for those who are forced to live that way and if it happens to me one day, it won’t be by choice.

9. I have lived this way by choice only without a vehicle. I just took a bar of soap into the nearest natural body of water
    Remember that freedom is subjective
    often found within than without
    and Canned goods are perfectly fine, also Dollar General sells thin frozen steaks for a dollar just get you an ice box. and, of course, the large quantity of foodstuffs that people refrigerate don't even need to be refrigerated. I've been starting to wonder if refrigeration doesn't make greens soil quicker

being a "slavery to routine" is simply your perspective inasmuch as another could think the same of you
    we aren't talking about indentured servitude here
    not willing to be presumptuous, let me ask you; what do you do on a daily ?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2020
Tags: