Michael Moore Hates America

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kayatree, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I actually grew up in thw town where this happened. Let me tell you, the whole place is ghetto, and really no place to raise children. The sad thing is, the people there don't have much of a choice.

I agree with rat, the child should not have been living in this house. But what other options are there? Live on the steet? It is not safe on the streets in Beecher either.

It is juts a sad situation, I go back to visit my family and friends and it makes me really sad to see.

But anyway, any media should be taken witha grain of salt. Don't let a TV screen make your decisions for you. I am still glad for Moore's films becuase it gets people talking, and we need to be talking about things more important than who made American Idol.

2. Mui

Mui Senior Member

Pretty much. Because its the truth. The united states benefits because of the poverty it puts others through. It's multinational corporations ensure that we get a cheap product, in return from increasing economic plight in foreign countries. American companies will pretty much follow what gives it more wealth... wether its keeping the population doped up on expensive perscription medicine, misleading advertisements... most all these things have negative effects on the common person.

Time after time america has shown no regard for the rest of the world. Whether its being the first to use weapons of mass destructions, ignoring global outcry for the end of the war in iraq, going to war with vietnam to end the spread of democratically elected-communist leaders... time after time... has proven to me that this country has no regard for ther est of the world... we shit our pants over the lives of a few thousand americans, and retaliate slaughtering thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of lives... including thousands if not hundreds of thousands of innocent people.

3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I pretty much explained this the first time around, more or less. I am not going to go into "key terms" because I am not bent on having people agree with me. Either they agree with what I am saying or they don't. It just happens to be MY opinion that this was not a true documentary. Most documentaries are not as biased and littered with misinformation, for one. True documentaries present more than one side of a story.

There are many. I am not going to discuss every mistruth, because the movie is pretty much made up of mostly distorted information that requires further investigating than what Moore presents as the truth through selective editing and staged scenes.

Check out http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/ - I am not saying this is the bible of truth and should not be taken as such, but it does present some very interesting, conflicting evidence.

Well, the fact of the matter is that most of the killing involving guns in the US is in the hands of African Americans who are targeting mostly people of their own race. I am not saying it's not a problem - it's a big problem - but how come Moore didn't touch base on the gang culture from which so much violence stems? Most of the gun violence occuring in the US is occuring in large urban areas, so how come Moore is so bent on focusing only on isolated incidents? How is Columbine any more tragic than the hundreds of people who are killed everyday as a result of gang violence?

4. peacelizard

peacelizard Member

Uh, I first watched this movie (Bowling fer Columbine) when I was half asleep and the parts I caught before goint to sleep I thought was a great all around movie with great arguments. I watched it again when my brain was working and thought the ending with that NRA guy was kind of rude. Moore put him in a corner and that picture thing I didn't get.

I didn't watch the movie with a very serious mind, but with an open one and saw he really is an arrogant extreme leftist I didn't see where the funny parts that the critics claimed they were at, but I kind of knew where he was exagerating parts at.

I think this movie sparked a lot minds to start working, and I kind of conidered the idea of being fed fear by the media (I watch a lot of tv, too).

My fave part though was when he was talking to skippin teens in Canada. Moore asked to the girl, "Aren't you afraid you're missing some learning or education?" The girl said "We've got the textbook." I thought that was funny.

5. Pressed_Rat

So that means we're supposed to hate this country soley because of those reasons? There is nothing good about this country at all?

My opinion is that ALL countries are fucked up in some way or another, and it's not just America who exploits other countries either. America just happens to get most of the blame because of our size and power over the world, which I won't deny is corrupt.

So do I. But I still don't hate the country as a whole. There are much worser places we could be living. You do accept that statement, no?

So you're saying you don't drive a car then? You don't consume any natural resourses?

Um, no, if you look back to the 2000 elections you will remember that Bush was not elected by means of the popular vote. It was the electoral college which ultimately elected him into office. Lots of votes also went uncounted.

It's not like Gore would have been much better of a president, IMO. Democrats and Republicans are all the same to me.

Who? What people are you referring to?

6. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

the point i was trying to make before was that few resources are available for welfare mothers to make it possible to care responsibly for their children. the guy in the drug house the little boy was staying in was his uncle - the mother's brother-in-law, if i remember correctly. if there is a relative available, social services will deny child care assistance (know that part because i've been through the process) even if it means leaving the kid in a drug house. very often there is no other choice. it's often not the fault of the mothers any more than it is the fault of the taxpayers, or dick clark for that matter. it's the system itself that is totally fucked.

which reminds me, i'd be interested in hearing your opinion on a local issue - the judge who ruled that the mother with all those kids in foster care was not allowed to get pregnant again. pm me if you want to discuss it.

well, truthfully, our country is way more auto-dependent than others, (only in part because everything's so spread out, with concentrations of population on the coasts. suburban sprawl is a preventable part of the problem.) and we use way more oil than the rest of the world. americans can do a lot more to lessen our impact on the rest of the world. but i think that it's largely a cultural problem, not the people themselves. the people reflect the culture, but the culture is not the people.

i thought it was the supreme court, not the electoral college. they stopped the recount.

7. kayatree

kayatree Member

LOL @ right wing assholes.... I'm sorry brother, but I have a really hard time listening to that classic, "I hate
    America" bullshit. It's old... the beauty of America is that you can complain when you think things are wrong and you can take steps to help change them. If you disagree - say so!

The truth of it is that everyone, everyone reaps the benefits of the American society and economy. Even the extreme left wing freaks. Hating the country (or better yet, saying you hate the country) makes you a hypocrite, a leach and (ironically) demonstrates the exact opposite of what you hope to achieve.

"You must be the change you wish to see."

peace,

kayatree

8. kayatree

kayatree Member

Umm... did I misspeak? Nope, your own my dear.
    Great - peace out kid. :)
    Is that a joke? Guess what kiddo - you benefit every day from the great United States. Do you drive a car? Live in a house/apartment? Have a job? Go to school? Eat when your hungry? Sleep when your tired?

Like it or not - you're a part of it. I said it above so I won't say it again but... your previous statement makes you look like an idiot (and a hypocrite at that)... if you disagree with something, change it. Otherwise your no better than the rest.

with love,
    kayatree

9. dhs

dhs Senior Member

Mui if you are planning on leaving this country where exactly are you going to go? To the other stretches of the planet that as you say the US exploits? I'm just curious, why is the choice to leave instead of standing up for your own beliefs and trying to make a difference here? Your choices sound somewhat cowardly to me. The grass isn't always greener.

10. riptiderevolucion

riptiderevolucion Member

I believe it's flawed to look at things from the perspective of "look what we're allowed to do that in other places you can't". It's like saying, "Don't complain about the food because in other countries people are starving." I feel that such sentiment does nothing but maintain the status quo.

Everyone? Please.

You know what? I continue to be blown away by the straw-man argumentation and statements that could easily come from people like Limbaugh on these forums. I thought these were "hippy" forums. Since when are hippies middle of the road, non-extremists? I'm not saying everyone here has to be a hippy (I don't see myself as such) and left wing or anarchist but I really don't know why you spend time here if you identify primarily with not rocking the boat and slam people trying to make some noise about the FACT that Saddam Hussein gassed people with "weapons of mass destruction" that we slaughtered thousands more people to not find, which were sold to him by our government to fight another country whose government we helped to topple and tell people to buzz off who hate America.

Ever think that a person may identify with the land, not political boundaries and legal systems established and maintained with the explicit or implicit threat, or use, of violence?

Here we agree.

11. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

It isn't? You and I live in different Americans, then, if you don't see this.

12. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Well, I hope you are independently wealthy and never need it. It sucks to have no food and have no where to live. No one LIKES "welfare" but people would starve without it, like THAT or not. I HATE poverty, the system which instills it, and the Right, which NEEDs it to survive.

13. Pressed_Rat

Hmm... well, I live up in the northeast so I don't have much of an opportunity to see these rural midwestern hicks chasing each other around with guns. Around here, 99% of the gun violence I ever hear of is committed by really hip, fashionable ghetto thugs in the inner city. Not hicks or rednecks.

I agree with her, I don't like welfare either. HOWEVER, this is America and I feel that NOBODY deserves to go without food or shelter if they're in need. But being the Libertarian I am, I don't think it's the government's responsibility to pay the cost. Under a Libertarian government, charties would play a much larger role in needy people's lives, not the government. This is because the government would have much less of a role in people's lives overall, which is a good thing.

14. Jozak

Jozak Member

You need to get out of the midwest if that is seriously what you think. That is a patheitc assesment of the gun owners in this country, and I am from Eastern Europe.

15. Jozak

Jozak Member

If you seriously want to see how much Michael Moore LIED in bowling for columbine, check out http://bowlingfortruth.com/ ---it is amazing what a camera can do, and how it can fool so many people.

16. GrievousAngel

GrievousAngel Banned

What about people who won't work? Is it ok for me to have a total hatred of them? Because i do. I do agree that for the most part the "street culture" of African America is totally self-destructive. I live in the one of the most rural areas in America (Southeastern Kentucky) and there is little gun violence here, so your arguement is totally false as to rural america being the haven of gun crazies.

17. metro

metro self-banned

18. metro

metro self-banned

I'm certainly not wealthy, but I would do all in my power to never rely on gov't assistance. I didn't elaborate in my earlier post because I didn't have time nor did I want to go off topic, but I think welfare is OK when someone has had a tragic circumstance and just needs it to get back on their feet. However, I have seen too many lazy unmotivated people use it as steady income and a replacement for a job. My cousin has a child and she and her boyfriend get welfare. The kid wears Polo socks, little Nike shoes, etc. They aren't getting married because that will allow them to get more welfare. This is the type of abuse I'm against. I think some folks get dependent on it and lose interest in finding a job. I don't think they feel very good about themselves either for soaking the gov. and that just perpetuates the matter.

19. AT98BooBoo

AT98BooBoo Senior Member

Just like the bumpersticker on the back of my truck says.

"Proud to be American,Ashamed of the government."

20. Pointbreak

Pointbreak Banned

You mean charities would HOPEFULLY play a bigger role, and if they don't, then what? You can't just assume that in a libertarian society everything somehow sort itself out in some kind of spontaneous utopia.