Method Of Learning A New Language

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by Moonfox13, Sep 11, 2014.

1. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

Good job, keep going. The ability to speak many languages is quite useful.

2. lion1978

lion1978 The King

Duolingo is definatley a great app when it comes to learning languages.

If you choose not to use that then the best way is to start by learning the 500 most used words, then expand your vocabulary from there, Ultimately learn to put the words into sentences and gramma. It's alot easier to learn the gramma onve you've got the vocabulary down.

Also when learning the vocabulary try to make images in your head that correspond to the words, this will make the learning procces a lot faster, if nothing comes to mind then just imagine the object with the word written on it.

When it comes to using a free translator service use yandex translator instead of google translate, it is far supperior, but still not perfect. I belive the link is translate.yandex.com otherwise just google it.

if you want to learn multiple languages, I'd suggest first learning one then others that has the same origin, for instance if you learn spanish then both portuguise and italian should be alot easier for you to learn.

And finaly once you've learned a language, keep practicing it, reading news in that language, wathing news in that language and so on. But be carefull with songlyrics and poetry as @Irminsul said, because often songwriters and poets uses a fair bit of linguistic creativity in their writing, plus especially with poems it's important to keep in mind that languages evolve over time.

ZenKarma likes this.
  3. ~Zen~

Excellent and timely advice for me as I struggle to learn Spanish and converse.

I was doing well before the quarantine. But since then my interactions with the locals has dwindled to nothing... so no practice for me. Duolingo is nice for getting started, but I find it aggravating. I will try your suggestions, especially getting my vocabulary up to a higher level.

lion1978 likes this.
  4. ~Zen~

I lived in the Netherlands for ten years, and the Dutch hated it when I would attempt to speak a few words.

They all said the same thing, leave the Dutch to us as we all speak English. And they mostly do, in the big cities. Out on the polders you had best know the difference between an old cow in the canal and a windmill.

5. lion1978

lion1978 The King

Yeah dutch is a funny language, for a lack of a better word. I undrestand most of it, but I don't speak it, it's kind of like a combination of german, and the scandinavian languages (Danish, Swedish and Norweigen) mixed together and then an occasional english word is thrown in :)

Yeah quarentine just made a mess of too many things.
    In reality I suppose the easiest way to learn a new language is just like how you learned your native language, problem htere ofcourse is most people don't remember how they learned that :)

ZenKarma likes this.
  6. ~Zen~

Perhaps a Montessori method would work for language studies.

I know that at the beginning of any school year I would get another batch of 3-4 year old kids who spoke simply, but could not read or write.

After that first year my little stars would be reading and beginning to write simple sentences.

I think we all learned a language from birth by listening and copying, which eventually leads to understanding.

lion1978 likes this.
  7. Alyssa24

Alyssa24 Members

Learning languages can be really entertaining: you can watch your favourite series and cartoons on the language you are learning. Of course, the choice of the episode should depend on your level and it shouldn't be too hard.

ZenKarma and lion1978 like this.
  8. lion1978

lion1978 The King

I think you might be right threre, at least from what I know about the method

ZenKarma likes this.
  9. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

I think we are born with language . There are dialects that emerge . And then dialects become codified until there is
    alienation from the essential and natural meaning . Example : two words that sound the same may come to have
    different meanings . It gets too weird .

Grin and bare it .

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
    ~Zen~ likes this.
  10. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

Don't know if it will work for you but there a bunch of Russian language videos on YouTube .

~Zen~ likes this.