Mental Illness Support Thread

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by NRx, Dec 30, 2004.

1. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Actually, I have suffered from depression for most of my life. I myself even took Prozac for a short period of time in high school. I stopped taking it after I found it wasn't working and discovered other alternatives which have since helped a lot.

I don't think people who take meds are weak, so you are wrong in assuming that. However, I think most people are willing to go along with whatever solutions they are provided by their doctors (and the pharmaceutical companies that feed them), without giving it any second thought. Most people are more than eager to go along with what everyone else says and does, automatically assuming that it is the best -- if not only -- solution.

I am referring more to people suffering from general depression than I am people with bipolar and such. Bipolar disorder is generally much worse than clinical depression.

My overall opinion still stands that psych meds (particularly antidepressants) are over-prescribed in this country. They are over-prescribed because of all the money that is involved. Both the doctors and the pharmaceutical companies profit every time a prescription is written up. This is why most doctors will readily write a prescription up for whatever drug a person wishes to be placed on (often one of the big-name, big-money ones advertised on TV) without question.

When it comes to antidepressants like Prozac and Luvox, all these drugs do is mask depression; not treat it.

I have very cynical views on the pharmaceutical companies, most of which are fronted by complete criminals who get away with their actions because they are rich, powerful, and in bed with the politicians whose campaigns they help fund.

As we have been finding more and more lately, there are many drugs on the market which have been determined to not be safe, long after they have been on the market. (This includes many of the liver-toxic Statin drugs which are still on the market and widely consumed by millions of people.) The pharmaceutical companies have long known these drugs to not be safe, but since the FDA and the pharmaceutical companies are in bed with each other (of course it's all about money), a lot of these drugs are marketed anyway. At the same time, the people who SHOULD be standing up for our safety are pocketing large sums of money while allowing sometimes dangerous drugs to flood the market.

I am not willing to take meds unless I absolutely have to. It's not about weakness, it's about having knowledge of how the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry works. Not only do I not want to give my money to these corrupt, negligent corporations, I don't want to injest their drugs which may or may not be safe.

Plus, I just don't feel right about putting powerful, synthetic (man-made) chemicals into my brain to alter my brain chemistry. This is why I prefer a natural approach when it comes to things such as depression and whatnot. I am not saying that everyone should follow my ways, I am just stating how I feel about it, and I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

I just don't believe in being dependent on powerful, mind-altering pharmaceutical drugs to lead a happy life.

2. crystalstarr

crystalstarr Word

No meds wont fix everything. People that have mental issues should also seek counsling!

i do agree about meds possibly being unsafe. i was on zyprexa before which has been linked to forming diabetes in people on the medication. i think they should do more research to find ways to make the medication safer(which they wont because that costs them money) but i have tried everything other then meds, since i was 12 and nothing has really helped me, but meds and counsling.i can push it away for awhile and be ok then it always comes back.

i will add i think paxil and prozac are the worst! those meds didnt help at all, i was much worse on them.

sorry for assuming you knew nothing on the topic.

3. Meeshka Chaukinov

Meeshka Chaukinov Senior Member

I've got ADD. That's about it. Runs in the family.

4. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

i have i lot of mental disorders, almost to psychotic proportion, but i dont want to discuss it. sorry.

5. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

I, for one, have never been a firm believer in Anti-depressants. They tend to be handed out like candy on Halloween. The side effects of the medication can significantly outweigh the actual, "help", it is assumed to provide. For instance, according to statistics, antidepressants have been linked with suicide. They may also have an effect on other illnesses one suffers from, causing the condition to worsen. Factory produced medication can be dangerous to the body in general. It is best to avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Nimh is correct. Food can play an important role in psychology, but this is something that most schools will not teach. None of my professors have made note of it.

What is more distressing is the fact that some Psychiatrists will willing give you medication to take, without recommending that you see a Psychologist. Medication without the proper counseling is pointless. It is sedation plain and simple. Kind of like the evolution of Aderall. Half of America's children are taking a drug they do not need. Granted, some children actually do suffer from some type of disease, but many adults let their children consume preposterous amounts of sugar and then want to medicate them to keep them from bouncing off of the walls. If parents knew of the reverse effects that could be caused by these medicines, they would most likely think twice about giving them to their child.

Some psychological diseases are extremely hard to determine. Symptoms often mimic each other, and can easily persuade a doctor to misdiagnose a patient. I have not even graduated to level of diagnosis, yet I often worry since it is so easy of a mistake to make. Personally, I would like to start a more Faith-based/Holistic approach to Psychiatric treatment.

6. happyhippyflower

happyhippyflower Sucker Punch

Depopulation?

7. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

Im guessing you have all of them?:confused:

8. holy_moly

holy_moly Member

I don't know if anyone mentioned exercise, but it has been shown to be as effective as anti-depressants. Plus, no negative side effects, only positive!

9. NRx

NRx Member

No, I actually jus have major depression with a possible new diagnosis of bi-polar. I'm workin' on racking them all up though. =)

10. NRx

NRx Member

11. Juggalo4ever

Juggalo4ever KingoftheChubbyGirls

Better eating habits can help alot :D, I started eating less fast food and more fruit and vegies and I don't wanna kill my dad as much anymore.

12. well if you are lead to believe it exists, and mental illness is all what happens in your head, isn't that business about belief in an ilness an illness, I'm only doing this half assed right now, I'm kinda tired, I'm sure you get it, your an intelligent guy, play devils advocate for yourself because I'm not doing 1\4 the job I even could be let alone should be (yes I meant to say iy that way)