mental health

Discussion in 'Transexual and Transgender' started by regina73, Aug 15, 2022.

1. regina73

regina73 Members

I identify as trans , top only right now. I would like to know if any of you that are trans or transitioning , gone thru periods of depression. I do all the time., severe. was committed to a phych hospital for 10 days because I cut my self. got let out because of covid . they wanted me to keep seeing a shrink and take meds which ididnt, side effects . good thing was seeing the shrink was voluntary and they never followed up. if I hurt my self again its 6 months to a year in th mental hospital and would need 2 shrinks and judge to get out.I want to go all the way with a change but I know my wife wont go for it and would divorce me. intrested in how others handle it

2. KathyL

KathyL Super Moderator Super Moderator

Hi, Regina. I am trans, MTF. I didn't experience severe depression, but it is very common for trans people to experience depression in one form or another. I would urge you to continue seeing the shrink and to take prescribed meds.

Mental health is an issue for transitioning. They will want to see if your depression is caused by being trans, or if believing yourself to be trans is caused by the depression. One way or another, they will want to see that your mental health is stable before any medical transition.

I was married before I transitioned. Still am. I knew I was taking a chance: 50% of trans marriages do not survive. (On the other hand, 50% of cis marriages do not survive!) I resolved to be open and honest with my wife, and to let the chips fall where they may. If she had left me, I would have been sad, but it would not have been the end of the world.

regina73 likes this.
  3. regina73

regina73 Members

I would but then my wife is going to want to know why i am seeing a shrink. would like to do a gender theraphist too. thanks for your reply

4. regina73

regina73 Members

maybe we can chat some time

5. KathyL

A gender therapist is definitely recommended for the gender-related stuff. Generic psychologist/psychiatrists do not usually have much of a clue about gender, though that is slowly getting better.

When I started, the prevailing wisdom was to see the therapist first, and use those appointments to strategize how to tell my wife. I knew immediately that that would not work. She'd want to know what I was seeing a therapist for. So my first step was to tell her. Scary AF! But she was okay and has supported me ever since.

Sure, PM me if you want to talk.

6. regina73

regina73 Members

I am not as bad as before since i stopped drinking. I was real bad when I cut myself. I dont want to do it it because where I live a second time in 3 years is an automatic 3 to 6 months with an extion to a year in the physc hospital. you would need 2 shrinks nd a judge to sign off.when I went the last time I got covid , some of the staff was rude an condesending and indiffrent and it was 150 miles from home and wife couldnt visiteven to bring cloths was a hassle

7. KathyL

I am glad you are in a better space now. Definitely stay out of the psych ward: it sounds nasty.

regina73 likes this.
  8. regina73

regina73 Members

It is they called it a behavior center. the er dx called it a suicide attempt which it was not, 3 day hold. the day charge nurse was like nurse rachet in cucckoos nest. the food was bad, to seasoned for me and stuff that I dont eat the nit staff was way better i had asked for some poly grip for my teeth day nurse said no , need a dx orders the nighy nurse gave me some. one day had to talk to a shrink by video conf with someone holding the I pad. so much for confidential another day i got to talk to one in person the weekend staff was real badthey could care less. during the week they have there little grp sessions and looked down on you and treated you like kids and all they want to do is medicate you. I got something one day that made me dizzy..
    one lady wouldnt take her meds because she wanted to know what they were/ after a couple of days the took her to her room and druged her after putting her in resraints. took her over a day to wake up . istarted questioning my meds but didnt get as far a the other lady. when we had to leave they gave me 2 covid test and the one they shoved the stick and gave a bloody nose. later on I had to go to an endo to get it cauterized

9. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

I am straight. But always here to support you.

KathyL and regina73 like this.
  10. regina73

regina73 Members

Thank you

Candy Gal likes this.
  11. Candy Gal

Candy Gal Lifetime Supporter

At least you can have a married female view. NO PREJUDICE from me. x

12. KathyL

Yes, Candy is nice.

Candy Gal likes this.
  13. FredBrice

FredBrice Members

regina73: I wish you the best and I also support you and I hope you are able to continue with folks that understand your situation, stay positive!

regina73 likes this.