Men's Forum

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by vanadium3333, Jan 10, 2005.

1. OSF

OSF Señor ******

I’ve often wondered the same thing. Not exactly in this context but with regards to the field of ethics called “feminist ethics”. Feminist ethics is not about justifying feminism. It is about taking into account and legitimately considering those elements of life that tend to be female in nature. The best way to explain it quickly is by offering this little dilemma. Suppose a mother is at a beach with her child. She meets a man who tells her he has just discovered a cure for cancer and before he saves every cancer patient in the world he wants to take a swim. So he and the woman’s little girl go out for a swim. The currents and undertow are strong and both begin to drown. Supposing the mother can only save one of the people who ought she save?

In most ethical systems, and in the average person’s mind, the woman ought to save the scientist who has cured cancer.

Feminist ethics proposes that the woman might have legitimate justification to choose her own child over the scientist. It is a system of ethics that pays special attention to the things that otherwise would be outweighed in such an ethical dilemma. Such as the caring and nurturing tendencies that mothers are famous for. Of course I have only offered two specific elements, but there are many others.

My point is that because of socialization, education, and traditional roles such aspects, that tend to be of women are not considered (or not given much weight) in just about every sphere of life. Feminist ethics gives those ignored or overlooked elements a face and a justification.

There is no masculine ethics because most ethical systems tend to account for the tendencies in the nature of the male.

Keep in mind that there are caring and nurturing men and logical women. The groups are not exclusive. Notice my careful use of the word ‘tend’.

Something similar is at work here in giving women a “women’s issues” forum.

2. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

seriously, I think women have more issues to talk about........

what do men need to talk about really?? losing their remote control??

3. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

what are you talking about every forum belongs to the men thats why they were given a womens forum:D

*continues skating across thin ice*

4. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

that's nothing to joke about mr you know how annoying it is to have to get up to change the channels id just as soon buy a new tv

5. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

well, yea. if we could ask that question to other guys, maybe we could find the remote faster.

and its really hard to get up to change the channel manually everytime you want to watch a different ball game.

6. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

Seamonster, ROTFLOL, I heard your post in my dh's voice! Priceless.

And from Navy Dead Head...........
    Equally ROTF enducing! "No, hOn, you look just fine, you look great.....LET'S GO!!!!" (As she heads for the door and starts the car, as Navy Dead Head is still brushing his hair and checking his teeth for spinach.........)

7. vanadium3333

vanadium3333 Banned

I think maybe the best thing to do would be to change the Women's Issues forum to a Gender Issues forum.

8. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

i thought the love and sex forum was a male issues forum :D harhar, that was rather lame, should have probably kept that one to myself, ay...

9. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

so...how do I avoid those unsitely skid marks?

10. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Haha, that's funny....good work! :D

11. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

haha, yay glad I am not the only one :D thanks you're such a super lady :D (i had someone actually call me that :D)

12. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

This is really stupid. Who would I save, as a woman and mother? MY CHILD, in a heartbeat. Because I am a woman/feminist? Hell, no. His father would do the same.

First of all, some weird guy just told me had a cure for cancer but he's going swimming first.........sure you did, buddy. [​IMG]

Also, scientists "tend" to keep records of experiments.....not just in their heads. They "tend" to work with others in a funded lab, not just alone in their garage. So if this stupid guy is drowning....maybe that's for the best...

13. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Do I get to wear the "S"? haha My friend had some old lady call her "Precious" at work once.....:D

14. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

hahaha why of course you can :D
    haha precious..
    I was driving in a parking lot one time trying to park and this old lady was walking right in the way, and I kind of made a face at her, and as i drove by she called me a hussy :D I about died, I was like holy hell, she just called me a hussy :D it was priceless :D

15. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Hahaha, I'm gonna use that one....:D

16. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

it was the funniest thing ever, I have never been called a hussy before, and then having some grandma lady calling me it was even better...its moments like that that I live for :D

17. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

It was probably the worst thing she could think of....:D You painted lady-of-the-night!

18. mystical_shroom

mystical_shroom acerbic

hahahaha, now that has to be the best right there :D haha i love that one...

19. OSF

OSF Señor ******

In order that we remain focused on the issue I must clear up a few things. In response to your objection on the grounds that a scientist who has just cured cancer wants to go swimming I must ask that such implausible circumstances be overlooked. My intention was not to have an accurate explanation of how you have come across the dilemma but that you indeed have come across it.

I suppose that such a reply would suffice to your second objection to the notion that the scientist is the only one with access to the cure.

Such objections are nothing more than nitpicking. I intentionally used the word “suppose” in order that the alchemic circumstances are taken as a hypothetical and not literally.

Your two objections, literally, are absolutely true. Fortunately, for me, the plausibility or implausibility of the fantastical story I have come up with have little to do with anything other than a set up to the real meat and potatoes, which is, of course, the dilemma you are to face in saving either your own child or the scientist who holds the cure for cancer.

Luckily you did provide an answer.

Precisely. You would save your child over the scientist who cured cancer. What I am trying to say and what feminist ethics attempts to do is justify that decision. If I were to take a national poll asking the question of who you ought to save in that situation, chances are that the vast vast majority of people would not choose your daughter. The only people that would are the mother, the father, the brother, the sister. In short only those with an intense emotional and familial bond with the little girl would choose to save her. Feminist ethics says that the reason that you would save her should be given some credence.

It is the same reason that there is a women’s issues forum. Because there are elements of life that tend to go against the vast majority of opinion that have some merit in themselves.

20. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

OSF, wanna try to make a baby? that rocked.