Men and women being “equal”

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by WomenPower, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Trudge

Sorry we have been through this at length - why do you repeat stuff you couldn’t defend the last few times you said it?

To repeat you cannot have equality of opportunity in an unequal system -

Imagine a 100 metre race and two runners of equal potential - but you only place one runner at the 100 metre line while putting the other on the 300 metre line. There is no equality of opportunity in the race.

Would it not be fairer to treat the two runners equally and allow each to begin on the 100 metre line? Is that giving the disadvantaged runner better treatment or fairer treatment?

Social and economic disadvantage can be connected to many things sometimes it is connected to race and gender or other biases and prejudices sometimes not.

The thing is that societies are artificial entities that can be built and managed to bring about certain outcomes if the desire is for a fairer and more equal society that is possible to bring about

But that is a bit like standing at the finish line of the race described above and declaring that the runner that was advantaged from the start was the more worthy athlete (who was smarter and had made better choices) while lambasting the loser for not working hard enough (been dumb and making bad choices).

It doesn’t make sense and such an unfair and unequal race is much more likely to disincentivise disadvantaged people when they realise it is so stacked against them. .

2. wrat1

wrat1 Members

NOT even close to what I stated, rarely do 2 people get HIRED the same day and perform the same, be it man or women

3. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

So what is your point?

I’ll ask again - if consistently the bobs in the company are getting paid more than the bobettes for doing the same job and for the same outcome is that fair?

4. wrat1

wrat1 Members

why is it happening? were they all hired the same day? is the work the exact same? what is fair? who decides?

5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

Again what is your point in the context of this thread?

Why is being hired the same day important if it is for the same job?

In this scenario yes the work is exact same(the equivalent)

The employer decides the rates of pay for the grades of employees according to the regulations and laws in place.

But my question is if consistently the bobs in the company are getting paid more than the bobettes for doing the same job and for the same outcome but that is allowed by the regulations in place - is that fair - so in the context of the thread should the regulations be changed to bring about more equality?

6. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

As I stated in my previous dissertation, the gender roles in our culture (assuming everyone can agree that there are in fact such a thing as gender roles; :rolleyes:) are maligned for women in business and politics; though the latter has received more attention of late, there still exists a prevailing situation in so far as equality; particularly for women in traditional business roles.

Typically, the expectation/limitation is that women are saddled with burdens of reception or human resources, not given executive authority, and not awarded the same compensation as their male contemporaries.

Here is a chart from Pew research; a reputable source. It discusses more than one marginalized group, but if you look at the data it's clear that women across the board make thousands less than men in all groups.

[​IMG]

7. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Point being that things are not as simple as do you think such and such is fair.

perhaps my "same day" wording was not as clear as I could have been , surely you know that length of time of employment is a merit that deserves higher pay.

aside from minimum wage there are no laws in place regarding pay

Is there gender pay disparity, YES, is it righteous NO .

Righteous | Definition of Righteous by Merriam-Webster (merriam-webster.com)
    3:slang : GENUINE, EXCELLENT

8. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

One area, in the work environment, where men, and women are equal is when it comes to management. Both sexes are power hungry, and being so, makes for poor managerial skills.

wrat1 likes this.
  9. WomenPower

WomenPower Members

I’m just going to say as a woman I don’t have a problem being paid less than my counterpart..I don’t put my value purely on money.

TrudginAcrossTheTundra and wrat1 like this.
  10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1
    So your point is that you find it difficult to know if something is fair or not - is that why you have been finding it difficult to say you think slavery as unfair?

But then you go on to say that you think gender pay disparity is not ‘righteous’ (meaning of righteous being ‘morally right or justifiable’) so you seem to be saying that you think gender pay disparity is NOT morally right or justifiable.

So you clearly and simply think it unfair

Honestly why didn’t you just say from the beginning that you thought pay disparity based on gender or race is unfair?

What has been your point in seeming to be against equality of pay for people doing the same job when all along you agreed with it?

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Women

And I'd ask why you think that?

Honestly it would be helpful to us all if you actually answered the questions put to you rather than constantly ignoring them in favour of these rather empty statements.

12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

I’m sorry you’ve had such bad experiences - I’ve had male and female managers and some have been good, others middling and some bad ones.

It is usually a reflection of the society, company, business or enterprise, in my experience a bad ethos or leadership promotes or hires bad managers.

If you have a society or business model based on exploitation rather than mutual benefit then you get bad management (in business and in government).

In a system with an exploitative ethos politicians are more likely to serve their own interests and those of their donors rather than the people in general and in businesses it is likely to bring about a management style based on gaining power and getting up the greasy pole rather than doing what is best for the workers.

So you get companies where workers are too frightened to go to the toilet and governments that go for tax cuts that favour wealth and societal cuts that are detrimental to everyone else.

13. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Absolutely amazing when I chose a word for a reason AND posted the definition in the context I used it in and you chose to interpret it how you want

14. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

Once again you are not answering the questions put to you or addressing the criticisms of your views.

As to your choice of the slang definition of Righteous - i’m sorry but it didn’t seem to make sense while the none slang definitions - morally right or justifiable - did fit - and i didn’t ‘interpret’ i just used your own dictionary.

Definition of righteous
    1 : acting in accord with divine or moral law : free from guilt or sin

2a : morally right or justifiable a righteous decision

b : arising from an outraged sense of justice or morality righteous indignation

3 slang : genuine, excellent

I mean think about it this is your statement

Is there gender pay disparity, YES, is it genuine or excellent NO .

Is there gender pay disparity, YES, is it morally right or justifiable NO .

Which seems the clearer sentence?

I mean what is not genuine - there is gender pay disparity but it isn’t genuine (isn’t real, is fake)?

Which implies the contradiction that you both think it does exist and doesn’t exist

But that would also seem to conflict with - there is gender pay disparity but it isn’t excellent (not good)?

Sorry if this were an English test you would not be getting high marks

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

Sorry but you seem to be trying to score points and sow confusion rather than enter into honest debate - as said it would be a lot more honest to just answer the questions put to you rather than waste all this time on this semantic BS, that seems to be more about muddying the water than seeking insight.

16. soulcompromise

17. soulcompromise

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wow. That's not very convenient.

18. wrat1

wrat1 Members

My first post in this thread was a dictionary definition to clarify
    then I backed it up with a philosophical explanation as to why equality is not so easy to define or attain

you choose to "muddy" it up and steer the discussion the way you wish it it to go

19. soulcompromise

Gender gap - Wikipedia.

:rolleyes:

also,

20. soulcompromise

[​IMG]

Don't you wonder "who was 11?" :D