Men and women being “equal”

Discussion in 'Democracy' started by WomenPower, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

LOL - So are you saying you can’t think for yourself or won’t think for yourself?

I’ll ask again - was slavery in your view fair? Were women not having the vote in your view fair? Is someone getting less pay for the same work because of their gender or race fair in your view? Is voter suppression in your view fair?

And I brought up what i meant by equality in my very first post in this thread and in another - now in a third - that to me the definition of equality on this issue was about in law and pay and treatment?

2. Flagme15

Flagme15 Members

claiming to be christians

stormountainman likes this.
  3. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

And they never think of Muslims as equals to their Christian brethren.

4. wrat1

wrat1 Members

you never answered any of the questions I put forth

5. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Bare naked women's boobs are ok'd in the national forests re: Rainbowgatherings . Should be alright in Washington D.C . Have a go !

TrudginAcrossTheTundra and wrat1 like this.
  6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

What questions have I not answered?

You wanted my definition of equality in the context of this thread and I’ve given it (four times).

Even the dictionary you use allows for the same definition

Definition of EQUAL

Or you could try the Cambridge Dictionary on equality

Equality :

the right of different groups of people to have a similar social position and receive the same treatment:

equality between the sexes

racial equality

More examples

· Civil rights include freedom, equality in law and in employment, and the right to vote.

As to how someone views what is unfair – that can be up to the individual and says a lot about that individual and that is why I set the questions

Is slavery in your view fair?

In my view not – what is your view?

Were women not having the vote in your view fair?

In my view not - what is your view?

Is someone getting less pay for the same work because of their gender or race fair in your view?

Is voter suppression in your view fair?

Why are you evading answering?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
  7. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Relevant and disappointing

It could take U.S. women 61.5 years to reach pay equity with men, new report says
    • The COVID-19 pandemic has widened disparities, both in the U.S. and abroad, with women exiting the workforce at higher rates "partly due to their disproportionate representation in sectors directly disrupted by lockdowns," the report says.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/01/wef...nder-gap-it-will-take-135-years-to-close.html

One reason why the gender gap has widened is that sectors hit hard by Covid-19 — such as tourism and retail — happen to employ many women, she said.

soulcompromise likes this.
  8. wrat1

wrat1 Members

All I did was to attempt to clarify by definition the 2 important words equal and fair and YOU begin with a personal attack
    Very nice

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

LOL oh please not with the fake righteous indignation AGAIN

I’d already given clarification (in one case several times)

You are the one that was (and is) evading the questions

Of course I’m going to take the piss out of you when asked to answer very simple questions you reply with constant evasion.

Come on let’s say I ask the same things again and this time you just answer them –

Is someone getting less pay for the same work because of their gender or race fair in your view?

10. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Not fake or righteous just fact

11. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

wrat1

Oh LOL the actual fact here is your constant refusal to answer questions

AND AGAIN - once more with feeling....

12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

If this kind of attack on equality is some kind of right-wing culture war play – I don’t understand it

How are you meant to attract people to your political cause when you are saying you don’t think it unfair to discriminate against people on the grounds of gender, race or sexual orientation (and seemingly if anyone complains to just tell them that ‘life isn’t fair’).

Yes, you might appeal to and get the vote of certain types of white men but wouldn’t it put off large numbers of other people?

I mean if these right wingers can’t even bring themselves to say they think slavery, denying people equality of opportunity and voter suppression vote is unfair – what does it say about what kind of society they would wish to build?

13. wrat1

wrat1 Members

[QUOTE="Balbus, post: 9078455, member: 1139"

What is your definition of equality - to me it’s about in law and pay and treatment

.[/QUOTE]

Equality (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

‘Equality’ is a contested concept: “People who praise it or disparage it disagree about what they are praising or disparaging” (Dworkin 2000, p. 2). Our first task is therefore to provide a clear definition of equality in the face of widespread misconceptions about its meaning as a political idea

Kinda what I attempted by bringing the actual dictionary definition in

The terms “equality” (Gr. isotes, Lat. aequitas, aequalitas, Fr. égalité, Ger. Gleichheit), “equal,” and “equally” signify a qualitative relationship. ‘Equality’ (or ‘equal’) signifies correspondence between a group of different objects, persons, processes or circumstances that have the same qualities in at least one respect, but not all respects, i.e., regarding one specific feature, with differences in other features. ‘Equality’ needs to thus be distinguished from ‘identity’

Gender Identity.

Not quite as simple as you would like it to be

14. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Social equality - Wikipedia
    The standard of equality that states everyone is created equal at birth is called ontological equality. This type of equality can be seen in many different places like the United States Declaration of Independence. This early document, which states many of the values of the United States of America, has this idea of equality embedded in it. It clearly states that "all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights".

I would argue the use of the word "men" was in regards to people in general NOT gender

15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

So i think we've established that to me in the context of this thread equality is about in law and pay and treatment - I'll ask again what is your definition of equality in the context of this thread?

16. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Wrat1

The Declaration of Independence, which was written at a time when slavery still existed in the US and continue to exist for nearly another hundred years (and it could be argued that a large number of Black people didn't gain real freedom until they got the right to vote in 1965 and the end of JIm Crow laws)

SO AGAIN

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  17. wrat1

wrat1 Members

Equality (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

Both equality and inequality are complex and multifaceted concepts (Temkin 1993, chap. 2). In any real historical context, it is clear that no single notion of equality can sweep the field. (Rae 1981, p. 132) Many egalitarians concede that much of our discussion of the concept is vague and theoretical.

sorry its just not a simple concept that a few words will cover

for my answer to your question

Equality | Definition of Equality by Merriam-Webster (merriam-webster.com)
    1: the quality or state of being equal

18. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Is it though just by coincidence that a woman and a man in an organization do not make the same salary?

It is more likely a circumstance prescribed by our cultural traditions - our expectations for behavior, and the directions that they suggest within the context of business and the job-world.

Your career depends on you behaving as a trooper, take the initiative, be professional - all of which are counterpoint to the traditional gender role prescribed for girls.

No, if your daughter behaves as any of these she could likely expect there to be questions, or even therapy sessions.

It is at the root of our culture - particularly with those at the top of the ladder in most every organization - to scowl when a woman is forthright, forward, and assertive. Dare she question men? Or their given role? Their societal patriarchal entitlement??

She can expect no more than below the median and average-at-best. :(

Flagme15 likes this.
  19. wrat1

wrat1 Members

The OP nor I made any statement towards slavery I see no bearing as to the op statement although you keep bringing it up
    the same goes to your other questions

20. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

And she's doomed to front-office mundanity... literal mediocrity of phones and copiers.

It's so unfair and blatant.

SHOW ME THE MONEY! :)