Memorizing the bible

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by RainyDayHype, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Says who? Who decides on the objective truth?
    Who decides what things are objectively evil?

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, that was not my primary point anyway (but yes; it can still be a matter of opinion even when 99% of humanity agrees on a horrible practice being evil).
    Anyway, i agree certain stuff is so bad that it can be called evil just fine. But its not some supernatural thing like a force or Satan trying to seduce us or get at us or God. In that way its a fictional concept invented by humans to explain and cope with real bad stuff and trying to understand why it actually exists.

3. Asmodean

There's usually an index. No need to being able to bark out all the bible book names as fast as possible.
    I know enough of the bible to know where to quickly find a Psalm, or a particular book like Exodus or Revelations, and from there a particular story, parable or whatever. It's handy to know everything from heart but far from neccessary for every interested person.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I agree. I think good and evil are rooted in empathy and reciprocal altruism found also in a wide variety of other animals. E.O. Wilson, the father of sociobiology (aka, evolutionary psychology) thinks that our pre-human ancestors developed a specialized mental module in which societal norms of right and wrong were internalized (Freud's superego), and that this development was essential for the social stability that we depend on for our survival. I think for the most part the norms are utilitarian, based on the survival needs of the community and what will contribute to the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people. Since this was a cultural as well as a biological development, some of the rules are quirky--like the dietary laws of Leviticus. In time, the great religious teachers and philosophers sorted out underlying principles to guide application of the rules. There's nothing mystical about it, but it's nevertheless crucial to societal well being. I use terms like "Satanic" metaphorically to describe real manifestations of evil in the world, such as his minion currently sitting in the Oval Office in Washington. I've learned not to talk about encountering Jesus and Satan in the checkout line at WalMart (people can be such literalists) but I still find the metaphors useful in describing essential aspects of reality.

5. OlderWaterBrother

OlderWaterBrother May you drink deeply Lifetime Supporter

Honestly, are you really going to say that something like, say, genocide or serial murder is only
    subjectively evil? Perhaps you could enlighten us with a explanation of when these things are okay and only subjectively evil.

6. OlderWaterBrother

I don't believe I recommended being able to "bark out all the bible book names as fast as possible" and yes, you can use the table of context, index and concordance but like I said they can be time consuming and if you are trying to follow a live discussion that is using quite a number of scriptures you can fall behind fairly quickly trying to use them.

7. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

My favorite Bible quote:

Therefore, behold, I will bring evil upon the house of Jeroboam, and will cut off from Jeroboam him that pisseth against the wall, and him that is shut up and left in Israel, and will take away the remnant of the house of Jeroboam, as a man taketh away dung, till it be all gone.

1 Kings 14:10

8. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I didn't say those things were okay, I asked who decided what was and wasn't objectively evil.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

But yeah, serial murder IS only subjectively evil... because so long as you do it with the right uniform on, it's okay.

morrow likes this.
  10. Asmodean

They're objectively bad, so bad the word evil seems to fit. But that wasn't the point, the point is evil in the rational world in the objective sense means an exceptional kind of bad.
    In the religious sense it means a force, or the way Satan seduces us, and is always connected to this personification of real nasty bad stuff called Satan or the devil. This kind of evil is a human concept as explained, so I won't expand on that again. I thought i did so already quite well.

11. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

So who decides what is objectively bad?

12. Asmodean

Nobody in particular of course. But some things are universally considered unfortunate when they happen to you. When this is caused by (a) fellow human being(s) it can be called an evil act.
    But I agree it is a slightly different definition of 'evil' then, and I merely acknowledge how it can be used that way. Basically put; from my perspective it would technically be better described as 'very bad' or disturbed behavior. Evil, just like sin, is not that useful imo in the original literal meaning.

13. inthelibrary

inthelibrary Members

Your own conscience

14. Asmodean

No, that's by definition subjective.

15. morrow

morrow Visitor

You have to be an obsessive person.. there are people here who do just that, you should have a word with them how they do it..
    My thoughts are if you dont remember every word of your favourite book, you ain't ever going to remember that book..

Oh its lolli in chat, but she is on vacation now.

16. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Some people know the words so well, but the meaning so little. The Bible thumpers strike me as being mainly in that category.

17. deleted

deleted Visitor

Mathew 7.5..

18. OlderWaterBrother

So, why do you think they are not okay?

19. OlderWaterBrother

Personally, I think "serial murder" is objectively evil and it doesn't matter what "uniform" you have on.

neonspectraltoast likes this.
  20. The truth is that the human heart decides what is and isn't evil. One day we must all face up to our actions. The subconscious never forgets, and it doesn't let us lie to ourselves, either. If you have created demons, you will one day face them. It may not be now; it may not be tomorrow. But one day, yes. That is why it's important to always be good to each other and to ourselves.