Memorizing the bible

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by RainyDayHype, Mar 2, 2019.

1. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

I've been going to a church for the past month. I feel like such a noob navigating the bible. How do people memorize the location of the chapters? Are their any tips or tricks? Can they just easily navigate because they've studied it for so long?

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i always assumed those people just picked a few favorite verses and memorized them, rather than memorizing the whole thing.

4. JoeyTribbiano

JoeyTribbiano Members

try to memorise the books' names in order .. Old Testament then New ..
    by time you will be able to locate the books accordingly .. chapters and verses ..

for example after sometime you will find out that if you open Psalm 119 is exactly located in the center of the bible . ."at least it wast in the Arabic version" .. :)

5. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

There is only one trick I know of... the one mentioned by Joey ^^^ up there. Psalms is in the middle of the bible. Genesis begins it and Revelations ends it. :) At one point I knew them all in order, but it takes me a moment to recall where some of the lesser read (or more obscure) books are.

Genesis is the beginning...one of my favorite (couple of) verses is Genesis 1: 29-30. It talks about God making green herb which bears seed that is as meat for men. :D To me it is saying right up front that weed is fine with Him.

Isaiah is probably my favorite Old Testament book....but to really address your question....the best and probably only way to know where the books of the bible are is reading/memorizing the books, and I'm sure the only way those others at the church you speak of that easily navigate the bible have done so because of much practice. Just keep looking at and reading that book page, and you'll learn it quicker than you think. I know you're smart. :)

It really is harder (I think) to memorize verses and whole passages (and where they are) that some people seem to think. You will know the parts you are drawn to. Read through the concordance, and it will send you right to any of your subjects of interest.

Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    Irminsul likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

People who know the Bible really well were likely raised on it.

I havent been religious or been to church in like...17 years, but I can still quote a lot of verses and flip right to them in the Bible because I spent my childhood learning tthe Bible. We had to memorize the order of the books of the Bible in Sunday School, that might be helpful just for being able to flip straight to a book when someone says "now turn your bibles to Psalms" or whatever

Orison and JoeyTribbiano like this.
  7. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

So many know the words so well and understand the meaning so little.

EloiseAtThePlaza and Lynnbrown like this.
  8. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Wouldn't worry about memorizing stuff. If you’re interested in the subject matter it goes by itself. But yeah, Genesis, Exodus, once you read it once you just know this basic stuff.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Most of the passages I know from the bible come from cradle of filth lyrics and song intros :p most notably this one.

And there was war in heaven, Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon fought with his angels but prevailed not. Neither was their place found anymore in heaven! And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpant called the devil and satan, he was cast out into the earth and his angels were cast out with him!

10. My favorite part is when they start talking about who begat who. I don't have the whole thing memorized...yet. Soon, though, and then I will be respected by the "in" church crowd.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think that's in the start of the bible lol.

12. It's the part I never got past because I like it so much.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

What if it was regular modern names

First Kayden begat Brayden
    Then Aiden begat Hayden
    Then Peyden begat Jayden

And the Lord said, it is good.

14. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

It's really a conversation stopper at cocktail parties. then again, the fundies don't do cocktails.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Where'd they find people with names like Matthew, luke, Paul and Daniel in the Middle East anyway?

:p

You've got like Noah and Abraham, jesus and Mohommad and Able.

G'day, Paul, mate. Scarn on this arvo' mate you headen out to that last supper with Matty, bro? Lukey Luke gone be there man, gone be epic!

Yeeeah shit yerr Dano I'll be there Dan the Man from Jerusalem!

Pauley! Pauley ya mad rooter! I'll see you there Brahh!

Could probably make some money with an audio book, The Holy Bible (Australianised)

First, Shazza begot Dazza
    Bazza begot Gazza
    Robbo begot Shano

Mazza and Broseph gave birth to a kid in a barn outside Dubbo, named him Jono who grew up to be a shit carpenter and lousy fisherman. A jack of all trades and master at none. Mazza sat at the window slot said go on git ain't no dingo eat my babay:tearsofjoy:

And the rain poured down, like grandkids chewin mcCains super juice corn over a corregated roof it pissed down! For 40 bloody days and 40 bloody nights Huey send it down he did. Ol' Nicko, Nick the dick, built himself a big tinnie to escape the flood. He fit on a couple kangaroos and some wombats and echidnas, come from far and wide platypus and crocodile and even some koalas and they all fit on the big tinnie like peas and corn. Then after the rain they settled on mt Kosciusko. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  16. JoeyTribbiano

JoeyTribbiano Members

Cradle of filth .. Gosh .. i haven't listened to them in 19 years .. :D

\m/

Irminsul likes this.
  17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Some of those names were ancient greek which had a strong influence over that area for centuries (hellenistic). Luke was Lucas for instance. John was Yohannis

This is why if I ever end up with kids, I will give them good biblical names like Bathsheba and Neb.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  18. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I didn't even know they existed that long ago. :p

20. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Life is neither good nor evil, but a place where good and evil reside.