melon of blindness

Discussion in 'Music' started by earthmuffin, Jan 16, 2005.

1. earthmuffin

earthmuffin Member

Anyone here in to Blind Melon?

Personally, I think they were an excellent band, and had a lot to offer. I don't understand why they didn't get recognized for anything other than "No Rain". Makes me wonder what they could've been if Shannon hadn't gone. Sadness to the maxxx.

What are your thoughts on the guys?

2. jimi420

jimi420 Member

I'm a fairly new listener to them but what Ive hear so far I like. How did shannon die?

3. Rhythmdevil

Rhythmdevil Member

He died of a drug overdose. I can't remember if it was cocaine or heroin. I think it was heroin. Yeah, they were really good. I only have their first album, with No Rain, but I love the rest of it too.

4. OneOfTheseDays

OneOfTheseDays Member

yeah it was heroin. they were a very talented band, too bad shannon died :[

5. talleywacker

talleywacker Member

you should check out one of the remaining guys projects..... James Mathis and his Knockdown Society
    Really gritty down home music. they actually use a washboard for a snare sound and a washtub bass

really raw, badass music
    peace
    Brad T

6. earthmuffin

earthmuffin Member

Yeah. Brad Smith, Rogers Stevens, and Chris Thorn have their own thing going on as of now, called Abandon Jalopy. I haven't really checked any of it out, but heard it was pretty good. Not Melon, but good.

7. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

Yeah i love blind melon, i have some pictures of Shannon's resting place in my gallery if you wanna take a look. Love those guys though

8. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

I love Blind Melon. They're definately my second favorite band... I have Unified Theory's only cd, with Thorn at frontman.. not Melon, but still quite good, and even better if you compare it to the rest of 2000.

haha you live in WI too, I didn't know anybody else in this state listened to good music too :p :rolleyes:

9. rainbowkid

rainbowkid Member

I really like 'Blind Melon' but I need to get 'Soup' I really want to hear what that stuff is like. I've only two of their albums, and those two alone are brilliant. It's weird in Art today I got into a 'Blind Melon' mood and wanted to listen to the album and then I see this thread. Cool.

10. beatlerific

beatlerific not like other girls

yeah i need to get soup too. i only have the self-titled album and i love all of the songs on it.

11. soulrebel51

soulrebel51 i's a folkie.

Nico is quite good too... I DL'ed Soup, and woulda done the same for Nico but I recommend y'all buy it, there's quite a few extras on the cd, if you pop it into your computer...

12. earthmuffin

earthmuffin Member

Ah! I just got 'Soup' the other day. It was the only album I didn't have, and I couldn't find anywhere, except online. Until, one day, it popped up in our local best buy. Excitement to the maxxx, I tell you. It's absolutely wonderful. There's also a hidden track, right before 'Hello, Goodbye' (the intro to Galaxie). If you keep rewinding past the start of the CD...it's really neat.

13. guitarslinger

guitarslinger Schwa

There is something weird about the soup album. I never could find it in stores up north, but you come down here in the south its in every record store you can find its weird. They also have a dvd Letters From A Porcupine, I found mine on ebay. If you really like them Its a must have. Lottsa of interviews and a whole bunch of live shit, Its really good

14. FreedomRyver

FreedomRyver Member

:) I have all their albums on my pc, if anyone want to download one off me just let me know.

15. FreedomRyver

FreedomRyver Member

[​IMG] oops posted twice

16. Lemur24

Lemur24 Member

Yaaaaaaaaaaay!! As you can tell by my name, I LOOOOVE BLIND MELON!! :D

I've been a fan for quite a few years now.. I have all their albums.. You guys should check them all out, and the letters from a porcupine DVD is amazing! Yeah, it's a pity Shannon died so young :( (and just to clarify, it was of a cocain overdose on their tour bus, not heroin) but at least the music still remains...

I'm going to his vigil in September again this year... I've met his mom, sister, nieces, Jena Kraus and yes, the lovely VERNIE! I can show you guys some pics if you're interested.. We also have a show in Indiana every year after the vigil called "vigilstock".. it's a tribute to melon, you guys should check it out!

Chris and Brad moved on and formed a band called Abandon Jalopy, then they broke up and moved on to Unified Theory.. too bad they only released one album... I really love their stuff, and Chris Shinn is really talented too! I love his voice.. I don't know what they're doing now though... Rogers also has a band called "The quick".. they perform in New York all the time... Glen never fully recovered from Shannon's death and decided to never play again :(

Anyway, keep the melon alive "with a red light shinnin' on a little unity"!! ;)

17. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I love Blind Melon...their music is raw and amazing. Anyone who hasn't heard them should definitely check out the remastered "greatest hits" deal. It gives a little taste of everything.

Personally my favorite songs are Mouthful of Cavaties and Change...

I remember hearing a story about Shannon's mom hearing him sing Change acoustically on their front porch...

RIP