Mein Kampf

Discussion in 'Non-Fiction Books' started by pandapandapanda, Jun 27, 2013.

1. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

I like how I'm neg repped to "seek help" for having a mental condition he referred to as "disturbed" = "marked by the symptoms of mental illness".
    So I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the treasured life of someone mentally ill but he's allowed to condemn me on the same premise. What a coward.

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well you really shouldn't be posting your opinions on the internet, derrrh. =p
    It makes people upset. ='[ and you shouldn't do that because it's mean. =[

3. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Seems to me that there could be a problem here over who decides a person is mentally ill to the extent that they get the chop.
    It might be easy for a ruthless state to use this kind of thing as a pretext to rid themselves of unwanted or difficult people, dissidents. 'Undesirables' who are not mentally ill, but a thorn in the side of the authorities.
    Mental hospitals were used in the Soviet Union as repositories for those who didn't fit in with the system or who voiced opposition.

4. oscar2u

oscar2u Banned

Do you plan to self terminate when you get old as you surely will ? Also. where are these self termination centers ? Are there any in the USA ? I have been thinking about it. ...Oscar

It need not be unpleasant. I would imagine a good hit of cocaine followed up with an overdose of demerol is about as good a way to go as any. On second thought: Just go with an OD of demerol. That cocaine might make you chicken out.

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I think one of my biggest fears is to have a child that is severely mentally challenged, and I'm stuck raising (or paying for care for) this life form that is of no value to me, the world, or even really themselves.

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm sure the Dutch have a centre for self deliverance.
    Me personally, I'm not sure how I want to go just yet. If it's at all possible before I die, to somehow reincarnate an animal that killed me then I'm totally going to fight a polar bear, a lion or a great white shark xD but only if I get to become one. :2thumbsup:
    I've got my funeral sorted no problems, just not the death yet.

7. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It scares me too. I really don't see a problem with what ygg wrote. I know many people won't agree but then here you are too, with your own justified personal reasons. It's a harsh topic with no doubt, many opinions.

8. -Yggdrasil-

-Yggdrasil- Einherjar

Glad to see somebody else with the same thought. I was speaking to the missus about this last night and she also agreed with me but mentioned that these days you can get tests done on an unborn child to see how it'll be and can terminate pregnancy in early stages if something is wrong.

I read somewhere once that interracial babies have a better chance of not gaining diseases or defects etc. because the gene pool is really split up so if we did have kids we should be pretty stout.
    That's one area that Addie was wrong with keeping one culture of people I guess. But I don't know how true any of it is. Don't really care either.

9. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

Interesting

10. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

I see it the same way. If someone chooses to die (I can respect that). But I don't think the state should have the right to make that choice. It could easily become a very dangerous thing.

QP

11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

What if the individual in question cannot respond to such a question.
    Who are you to say they should have to live their miserable life out the way they are? You'd probably look just as bad as the people who keep animals in filthy cruel conditions to some people.

I couldn't respect a person who chooses to keep someone else alive living in such horrible conditions just because you think they deserve some sort of life. It's wrong. But hey, that's just MY opinion. =]

12. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Define miserable for me? Who are you to judge these people (and decide if they should live or die?). And BTW, I don't equate human beings with animals, so save that for another thread.

I guess you think Helen Keller was a miserable person? I mean, she was deaf, dumb, blind, and had no sort of future (by the standards of most). But look what she accomplished: much more than some so-called "normal" people. But by your very own definition - she'd been better off dead? I think not.

There are always exceptions. And that's what worries me about seeing such things purely in black and white. People with disabilities that CAN contribute to society could be put to death. And that is a risk I am not willing to take. But hey, that's just MY opinion. :sunny:

QP

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Miserable to me would be like can't even move, stuck in a chair. Can't speak, can't do anything. You're just stuck there and the sad thing is you wouldn't even know what you're missing out on. That is not something I believe is worth the millions of dollars that is thrown at it for research or even the cost to keep them alive. I'm sorry, I just can't see any positives.

I believe you're suggesting we are speaking of all challenged people but me specifically, I'm talking about the "vegetable" type of people. I know you can be retarded and still hear, talk, listen and learn.

14. QueerPoet

QueerPoet Senior Member

Fair enough. :)

QP

15. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

If it's only people in a persistent vegatative state, I don't have any real objection to that. If the doctors are just keeping someone alive artificially or whatever. Cases where there's no realistic prospect of any recovery.

It's a somewhat different issue from euthanasia of the mentally ill.

However, as there aren't that many of those people, the monetary saving to your tax bill would be infinitesimal.