Meet up on the greyhound bus?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by Professor Jumbo, May 9, 2004.

1. Professor Jumbo

Professor Jumbo Mr. Smarty Pants

Here is a nutzo idea. I have been wanting to do it for some time, now I have both a desitnation and a good reason. A cross country trip on the greyhound bus. I'll be going from Annapolis MD, to where ever national gathering ends up being. If any of the folks out there will be taking the ol' dog (greyhound) to national gathering perhaps we could have a big ol meetup enroute if we plan right. Any body else up for having a greyhound bus full of rainbows?

2. bradleydontpush

bradleydontpush Member

I think that sounds great, but I'm in Arizona. That would be excellent. Get like a crew going on the way there, start a little early!

3. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

"A bad day hitchhiking is better than a good day on a Greyhound..." But you might have found the way to solve that problem...

4. xmissionx

xmissionx Member

Yeah, this sounds rad. I've spent enough time on the grey dog & have the ticks to prove it :). I don't mind greyhound, but would be willin to meet up with some cool people and ride together to the national if I can't get anything else to materialize. Sounds cool.

5. Professor Jumbo

Well, the first step in doing this is for everybody who knows that they will be taking the bus to post some info. All that is needed is the town that you will be starting in, the day on which you on plan to arrive at the gathering, and time of day at which you will most likely want to start your greyhound ride. Now some towns have more than one station, if this is the case with your town then be specific about which station it is.

We don't know where specifically national gathering is yet, but if everybody posts the day on which they want to get there we can all figure out for ourselves when folks are likely to be leaving for the gathering.

Go to the greyhound website(http://www.greyhound.com) plug in your info and find out when busses leave from your town.

If we all have everybodies info on place and time of departure and date of arrival we can plug it into the greyhound website thingymado ourselves and get everybodies bus schedual. That way we can know who will be getting on the bus when and at which towns, who will be transferring busses where and etcetra.

The only difficulty with doing this now is that greyhound does not plan all scheduals this far in advance. Some are already planned, but some are not. Mine is not so I cannot get a schedual. If we wait a couple of weeks all should be well.

6. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Ahem

greyhound and airline tickets are about the same amount ($) ....
    I've been pricing both. Of course if you'd rather ride a flea ridden bus than the not so friendly skys...I wouldn't question your judgement.

7. Professor Jumbo

Which airline is this? About the most expensive greyhound ticket you'll find, assuming that you buy them ahead of time and its not a holiday, is about $150, most are well under $100.

8. BobbinBecca

BobbinBecca Member

Hi,

I've done the flight/bus comparison thing too and a round trip cross- country bus ticket is almost as expensive as a plane ticket, just check out orbitz or other cheap ticket site. I flew that year because I wanted the guarantee of a return trip, but I could have gotten a one-way bus ticket for cheaper and tehn found a ride home and given that driver the rest of my cash. It's not that hard to find a ride out anywhere, as long as you're not in any hurry. Don't forget to factor in the cost of feeding and taking care of yourself for the 3 days a greyhound trip will take. At least airlines offer peanuts and give you a free movie or more free peanuts if your schedule is delayed. :)

Becca

9. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Right now I'm in Kingman,AZ but on May 20th I'm getting on the
    bus to go to Plymouth,NH for about 3 months. The bus ride is costing me $119 cuz I got it a week in advance. I'm not crazy about NH
    winters so I'll need to figure out where to go next. Does anyone have a suggestion on a good place to hang out for the winter?

10. MamaTheLama

MamaTheLama Too much coffee

Somewhere warmer? ;)
    It depends how you'll be living really.
    Are you looking for somewhere with cheap apartments? Or a house in the country? Or somewhere where the cops won't fuck with you for being a squatter (good friggin luck)? Or a long line of rainbow holding camps?
    Somewhere with lots of local youngins willing to adopt a hippy,or a more transient community? ie..do you need people to sell hemp necklaces to, or to buy em from?
    It's all relative.

11. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Does anyone know exactly when & where all the gatherings will be? Or any other type of hippie groups are meeting next Fall? I will probably leave NH
    at the end of August or maybe September. So I wouldn't want to go to any gatherings/groups until then.

12. MXNR

MXNR Member

Hey Now,

What a great idea, starting the celebration early by having a bus full of Rainbows! Anyway, here's what I know.

Despite all the fight'N and'a feud'N which is occuring between East Coast and West Coast Rainbows, the gathering will most likely be in Mt. Shasta California, definatly somewhere in northern CA.

I also live in Annapolis MD and would love to ride with Professor Jumbo and any other Rainbows who got on in the area. I was planning on leaving on or about June 20th but my dates are flexible. Lets make this work. Send me a message and we can arrange everything.

13. ChytownAngel

ChytownAngel Member

Hi! Last summer I took the Greyhound from Chicago to Arcata, CA to see my bro who lives there. Everyone thought I was crazy but I loved it! I met a whole lot of cool people and saw a lot of stuff, and it was a cool adventure. I was actually homesick for the bus, when my trip ended! I was thinking of doing it again this year, since the National is probably gonna be down there, and then I would just go to the National and then continue on to Arcata afterwards. So, if this plan of yours is materializing, I'd like to go!!!

- AnGeL

14. Professor Jumbo

I'm still going on the greyhound bus, yup. Another thing to do is to wear a distinctive piece of clothing on the bus, and tellus all what it will be. This way we will all be able to recognize each other right off with out having to ask around every time more people get on the bus. I'll be wearing a grey ball cap with a bright yellow construction crane on it that says "Raney Cranes" in blue letters.

15. WanderingturnupII

WanderingturnupII Grouchy Old Fart

No. No one person is allowed to have all that information. That way, one Government Assassin can't take out our whole memory.

16. ChytownAngel

ChytownAngel Member

Professor Jumbo...
    Hi! Are you still working on the Greyhound idea? Because I was thinking, since you came up with the idea and you are traveling from coast to coast, then you should just figure out the route number you are going to take. And then let us know, so all interested people can start figuring out how to possibly meet up with that route!

- AnGeL

17. Professor Jumbo

I going to start work on this probably on thursday. I am in pittsburgh now trying to consolidate and get rid of most of my stuff. When I get back to Annapolis it will be time to really start getting things together.

18. Smokinjoe

Smokinjoe Member

me and my friend are going to the nationals on the greyhound hopefully with these cool hippie chicks were gonna meet.it would be cool to run intpo some more family on the way. ::)

19. ChytownAngel

ChytownAngel Member

So, Professor Jumbo, what'd ya find out?

- AnGeL

20. Professor Jumbo

Nuttin'. The site for nationals should be announced within the week though. Before that happens however, it will be beneficial if all of the greyhound riders post their city of departure as well as when they plan to arrive at the gathering. This way the importance of the location of the gathering to the task at hand is minimized. If it is possible it will also be good to post in as much detail as possible what you will be wearing when you board the bus. This way we will be able to regocnize each other right off without having to ask around a bunch. I will now create another thread exclusively for the posting of greyhound travel info.

I will be leaving from Annapolis MD and plan to arrive at the gathering on the 25th. I will be wearing a brown greek style fisherman hat, a black t-shirt, a brown vest, a thermal long sleeve top, green pants with several large pockets, a copper braclet, and brown boots. I will have a guitar and a red camping back pack.