Meat replacements/Quorn

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by veinglory, May 11, 2004.

1. veinglory

veinglory Member

I am curious how many people eat meat-imitating foods (TPV, soysage, notbacon etc). I do because my vegetarianism is ethical not taste-bud based, so I don't see anything odd about using these food if I like them. The down side is that they can be a bit pricey so I keep them as 'treats' rather than a regular thing.

p.s. Anyone up to date with the 'Quorn' scandal. Is it actually bad for you or what?

2. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

I eat some meat substitutes, but only coz I like them in themselves, not because I actually miss meat. Hell, if they actually tasted anything like the real thing, I'd gag! It's been so long since I ate dead flesh that the thought of it makes me kinda ill now.

When you think about it though, a lot of substitutes just provide 'bulk' for the flavour. Just like meat, most substitutes would be pretty bland by themselves.

3. neckienoo

neckienoo Member

I eat vegetarian "chicken". You're right, it is a little pricey. My mom gets it for me at the regular food market fairly cheap. However, Quorn, which is pretty expensive is my favorite! I noticed that quorn is a little fattening; I didn't hear anything about a scandal though. What's it all about?

4. veinglory

veinglory Member

There is some kind of class action suit claiming it is made from a weird fungus and causes various health problems. I have noticed there is a lot les sof it stocked in the supermarkets now to... suggestions of misleading packaging. I am having trouble finding out anything reliable on the matter.