meat from the lab

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Smartie.uk, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Smartie.uk

Smartie.uk Member

i dont know if anyone else read this.. but now using just 1 cell from a donour animal we can produce meat in labs... not animals that have to be killed but just hunks of meat..
    i find this very very intresting.. now we can produce all the meat we consume without a single animal being hurt.

now vegetarians can eat meat without feeling bad that animals have been treated badly.. we can feed all the hungry in the world and all from a single animal cell.. and the donor animal doesn't even get hurt in the cell removal process..

so what do you think

i htink its actually quite an exciting prospect.

2. ArtLoveMusic

ArtLoveMusic Senior Member

Exciting yet scary.

3. Dandelion_Blood

Dandelion_Blood Gremlin

so a bit manky really ..

4. Smartie.uk

Smartie.uk Member

well bad meat tastes bad because of the chemicals that stress causes resides in the meat.. but there are no animals so no stress.. so effectively it should taste good.

5. Smartie.uk

Smartie.uk Member

i dont know if i would be happy eating the meat.. but i'm sure a starving african child wouldn't care.

6. HappyHippySoldierBoy

HappyHippySoldierBoy Banned

Surely it's not that easy? Won't this also mean that farmers in developing countries are gonna get an even rawer deal? Don't get me wrong, as a vegetarian I do find the idea reasonable appealing....ish. Maybe.
    I doubt it will become profitable for many years anyway and so we won't be seeing vegetarian meat in the shops anytime soon. Or will we?

7. jonathan_s

jonathan_s Member

Sounds good to me and im not even a vegetarian :)

8. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

Woah. Back up there, cowboy! They think it might be possible to do this. The 'technology' is far from workable currently. The best they can do is culture something similar to spam. So I suppose that's the big mac covered at least ;)

You're assuming vegetarians want to eat meat. Most veggies I know are pretty much disinterested. I've never missed it in the last seventeen years.

I'll believe it when I see it. And to quote the original article....

That just doesn't sound like a healthy, nutritious and exciting prospect to me. I'd be very surprised if it's not just another profit-driven scientific disaster.

9. HappyHippySoldierBoy

HappyHippySoldierBoy Banned

Actually, that sounds terrifying. Imagine, all the workers in a lab are killed in a plane crash, and when people finally go into the lab, the "meat" has filled the lab and is starting to grow at an exponential rate, it's also grown through the air holes in the lab computers and has suddenly become sentient by absorbing all of human history from the internet.
    AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh, it's coming through the windows.... awesome.

10. Smartie.uk

Smartie.uk Member

yup i realise that at the moment its not like creating a joint of perfect beef.. just as i'm sure existing vegitarians aren't going to start eating it because no animal has died.
    just saying that now the only issue for morals is the whole "should we be fooling with nature" thing... but...
    as i say, a starving african would thank you for a bigmac just as much as he/she would thank you for a bit of lab processed meat.
    also on a genetic engineering level, scientists can play around and make sure the meat has all the protiens and nutrients needed. like a big meaty vitamin pill.

but yes i agree to a vegetarian meat is meat regardless of origin.

11. Zonk

Zonk Banned

I would suggest that considering there is MORE than enough food on this planet to feed everyone that the whole idea is both barking and sick.

Fuck there are some twat scientists.:rolleyes:

12. DoktorAtomik

DoktorAtomik Closed For Business

The question though becomes how much energy and resources are required to grow meat in this fashion, and would those resources and energy be better spent on providing conventional food to starving Africans. After all, there's already enough food produced to feed the entire world. So why do we need to grow it in vats?

13. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

Space travel?

14. Zonk

Zonk Banned

You need a spacecraft that works first!;)

15. Smartie.uk

Smartie.uk Member

yup.. certainly this has to be taken into account.. but at the moment.. meat produced in the normal organic way can not be conceivably seen to be energy effecient..(factory farming of meat is a different matter)... so its just a case of which would turn out to be more effecient.

on 1 hand you need x amount of lbs of feed to rear a cow to sufficient weigth to produce meat, as well as many acres of grazing land.. and on the other you need a big factory somewhere and the land saved can be used to grow crops.

also the subject of desiese in which thousands of animals are slaughtered and wasted would become a thing of the past.

and yes i agree.. we have enough food to feed the world now so if this becomes a supermarket reality.. who's to say we will feed the world then.

16. dhARmaMiLlO

dhARmaMiLlO Member

funny, scientists tinkering away up there trying to work out how to build a sustainable enclosed environment to travel through space when... er.... we're ON an enclosed environemt flying through space already.... better start making it sustainable Mr petri eejits! Growing meat in vats is a waste of time if the Earth is no longer worth living on...

~
    [​IMG]

17. Smartie.uk

Smartie.uk Member