Maybe Tarantinos best is yet to come

Discussion in 'New Movies' started by Vanilla Gorilla, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, the n word thing is one of the reasons he gives me the creeps

I know you have to separate the artist from their art to some degree but I feel like with Tarantino (and Mel Gibson for the exact same reason) he uses his art as an outlet for his fucked up fantasies

Like the rape scene in Kill Bill. I used to love that movie but now it bothers me because of that scene

2. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Well that was the other thing I thought about mentioning: Someone's always a sadistic fucked up sleaze. You're talking about the doctor charging men to rape her while she's in a coma, right? Yeah, that was fucked for the sake of being fucked. You take that scene out, the movie doesn't change. At least I think. I don't really remember. Haven't seen that movie in a while. Never cared for it. But the end of The Hateful 8 was complete unnecessary. For the same reason

3. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

It's obviously left an impression...

I agree about Tarantino having some cringy moments in his movies but I feel he has a way of making even his sleazy characters somewhat personable, which I think adds to the intensity or shock value when they do something fucked up.

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Mood swings

Noserider likes this.
  5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

‘Once Upon A Time In Hollywood’ won’t be Burt Reynold's last movie since he’ll be replaced by Bruce Dern.

Tarantino really wanted Reynold’s like he really wanted David Carradine, John Travolta, Pam Grier, Robert Forster and Michael Parks in other movies, but now it’s just not possible.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh, thats a shame

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

That scene in Dusk til Dawn with Selma Hayek's dance and pouring wine down her leg makes me feel a bit creeped out. Like, you wrote that into the script for your own character..

8. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Well, yeah.

9. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

It's creepy. I know it's what a lot of people would do. But it's kind of creepy.

10. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Let's hope all directors from here on out make generic politically correct movies that don't expose us to scenes and themes that make us uncomfortable.

Asmodean likes this.
  11. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

But the purpose of being challenged in that way is to provoke new ways of thinking, acceptance of what is, bring things out of being taboo..

Sometimes, GRATUITOUS sex and violence is just that. It serves no purpose.

Noserider and Meliai like this.
  12. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Do you blame him, I mean have you ever seen a sexier vampire than Salma Hayek?

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

What Mel Gibson movie are you talking about? Passion of the Christ? Given its box office success, many christians lapped that shit up, something I always found weird about all too-devout christians

Paul Bettanys self bondage character in DaVinci code as well, that was fucked up, who directed that....Ron Howard....hmmm. he did Solo too, surprised there werent any bondage scenes in Solo,oh hang on there was, Chewy was in chains.....and he did blow up Thandie Newton way too early, I'm like, what the fuck was that

OK, yeah maybe you have a point

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Uhm.. that was a great erotic scene. Only creepy in the sense you mean it if you make it so yourself. Now, that other scene in the camper where Tarantino's character is perving on that guy's daughter (Julliette Lewis) seems creepier. But it was ment to be creepy/make his character look pervy and it was well executed imo. It doesn't make the director creepy

15. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Nobody seems to be quite getting me here. If someone else had written the script, I wouldn't be saying it. I'm not even saying he IS creepy, or wrong, for doing it.

There's just this slight aspect of... Him writing a scene for his own character just to experience it as himself.

Like, imagine a guy who can't get a very hot woman to kiss him in a position where he can think "I'll write it into this script, then she'll HAVE to kiss me"

It never looks creepy but the thought behind it was. Anyway maybe Tarantino wasn't thinking like that, but it's possible.

16. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That one and Apocalypto
    Which I never watched so I guess I shouldnt make a judgement on it
    But I didnt watch it because the only thing anyone ever said about it was how gratuitously violent it was

But one thing I do have to give him credit on in both films is his use of historically accurate language. That's some dedication, it would have been so easy for him to do the films in English and he didnt.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  17. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Apocalypto is pretty good. Some of the violence in Passion of the Christ annoyed me more. I bet sadists love that movie...

18. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Apocalypto is brilliant!!

The violence was necessary. He had to go through the most horrific thing possible, win, and then you see the ships at the end and realise their whole culture will be wiped out anyway. It was necessary for that contrast.

19. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Yeah, ditto from me on Apocalypto being brilliant, one of the most under rated movies ever, but yeah a bit nasty in places

Hacksaw Ridge was pretty good to, but again very nasty in places

Agree with Asmo, the violence in Passion of the Christ annoyed me more than the others, yeah made for sadists, or obviously to milk the catholic guilt or something, kind of why I am always iffy about bible thumpers, one is supposed to say they are not all like that, but they are

I got to watch Apocalypto again, its been a while