Martial Arts, anyone do it?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by sheeprooter, Oct 19, 2010.

1. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

If i was only in shape

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

you would start exercising only if you were already in shape?

3. ruski

ruski Senior Member

I did karate for a year, it was fun, but I moved on to other things as I usually do. I didn't like the gradings where they made you stand in sumo stance for like 15 minutes.
    I wouldn't mind taking up something new though, maybe kick boxing.

4. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I have a black belt.

It goes on the most stunning cocktail dress. :)

5. Sitka

Sitka viajera

I wrestled competitively in high school. I just missed out making the provincial team senior year.

6. Jimmy P

Jimmy P bastion of awesomeness

I used to do a lot of boxing, and I've done a little bit of muay thai as well. It's great exercise, really gets you in shape quickly.

And yeah, I think you can get addicted to any form of exercise. I used to train 7-10 times a week, but I don't think it will get counter productive unless a) you're training stupidly or b) it takes up time that could be more reasonably spent otherwise.

I've discussed this with pacifist types previously, and I'm fairly pacifistic myself; I wouldn't hurt someone unless I had to defend myself (Or they had pissed me off really badly) but the sheer athleticism that comes with martial arts is very impressive. The amount of training and discipline required to get to even a semi-competitive level is significant, and anyone who's done any physical exercise should be able to appreciate that kind of accomplishment.

7. deleted

deleted Visitor

yeah. I got married today/.. :D Its an art..

8. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

You perform martial arts in a cocktail dress? :rolleyes:

9. Heat

The only black belts I own do go on clothing. I do not do martial arts in a dress or at all, to be accurate. :)

I was only joking. :)

10. shaggie

shaggie Senior Member

Why do you think I used the :rolleyes: ?

:)

11. Heat

How am I going to threaten to toss you about now when everyone knows? :)

12. MrDot

MrDot Senior Member

i train, nigga

13. Shadow Walker

Shadow Walker Member

i may not look it but ive trained in iado, kendo, bo-jitsu, as well as tai chi and other unarmed arts.... so yea you could say i have a bit of an obsession.

14. Sethvir

Sethvir Member

I used to do sul ki do, but after about one and a half years I more or less lost interest and motivation. I've been doing archery for about a year now though, if that counts as a martial art (not sure myself).

15. ruski

ruski Senior Member

i am highly skilled in su do ku

16. ChrisFromScotland

ChrisFromScotland Lang may yer lum reek

Ive always been interested in Chinese martial arts mainly kunk fu and tia chi, i done lou gar kung few when i was a small boy and again just a few years ago, i enjoyed it alot too and it gave me more confidence and general well being, its something i would definitely get back into when I'm in a fitter state, famous last words lol nah im sure i will though it is enjoyable

17. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I have an extensive DVD collection of martial arts movies but I’ve never been interested in taking it up.

Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, Bruce Lee, James Ryan, Steven Seagal, David Chiang, Ti Lung, Alexander Fu Sheng (who died tragically in a car accident) Jet Li, Sonny Chiba, Jean Claude van Damme, Chen Kuan Tai, and the majority of movies produced by the Shaw Brothers Studios.

Hotwater

18. Mr. Mojo Risin'

Mr. Mojo Risin' Senior Member

I did Capoeira for two hours.

19. Deranged

Deranged Senor Member

i joined an mma gym a few months ago and love it. we do striking and grappling, with a focus on kickboxing, jiujitsu, and boxing. judo class just started this week too. i wish i was obsessed with it as you. takes a bit to get my lazy ass in there. try to go 3 times a week but i'm too lazy and/or stoned sometimes. i'm thinking about maybe trying an amateur cagefight in the summer. middleweight is the current plan. not pressuring myself into it though. just plan on seeing how it goes and doing it if i feel like i still want to after ive got a year or so of training (minimum)

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

thats my purse, I dont know you..