Marijuana Usage And Kids

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by legalizedrugs, Dec 8, 2014.

1. legalizedrugs

legalizedrugs Members

How would you feel if your teenage kid used Marijuana?

What about if you found out your 11 year old kid tried it?

What would you say/do?

2. MaximusXXX

MaximusXXX Senior Member

My step-children are 8 & 9.

I know this will seem funny on here but I as many, only experimented in College and not since. It never appealed to me.

I'm a very healthy individual, physically active and I have spoken up at drug seminars (and not in the corny "just say no" way). So if my step-children were routinely smoking, I'd feel a failure, because they shouldn't be going that way and have been very good not to pick up bad habits so far.

3. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

idk, don't have kids so not sure what how i'd feel.

i do see a lot of people that have issues, and drugs are often involved but I'm not sure that drugs are the only problem; people are the problem, get better friends.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

My situation was a 13 year old who already had motivation issues.

I told kid in no uncertain terms that my friends had better drugs than her friends, and that there were some select adults that were cleared to share. The stepdad and I had jokingly been saying "our friends have better drugs than your friends" for several years, planting the seed of "seek quality."
    Officially, they didn't tell, but a thumbs up meant "deal with a dumber kid." It was a kindness to non pothead parents. (my tastes run to psychedelics, and not in public.)

I also laid out the legal issues and repercussions. The limits of what would be allowed at home, and in what situations.

Ten years later, I have a functional adult child who dabbles lightly, mots,y in psychedelics. She's happy with it. I'm happy with it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

At 11 I would not be thrilled that they had tried it and less thrilled if they continued to do so. At that age I would not be happy that they were using any substance.

As far as solutions, I am not sure. Communication of course about why I would prefer they wait until they are older and the ramifications of usage and health issues that could arise. The reality is that I would not be able to stop them, other than possibly in my own home. As a parent I would obviously still love them and hope that it did not become a serious issue. If it did I would then have to find a way to hopefully deal with it with them as part of the solution or compromise.