Marijuana Growing Issue (outdoors)

Discussion in 'Cannabis Outdoors' started by mattfrank07, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mattfrank07

mattfrank07 Guest

Alright thanks, I think i asked this before but no one answered... when are the plants strong enough to transplant into the ground? They can currently stand straight up on their own and dont sway much in the breeze.

2. M4N14C42O

M4N14C42O Cannabis Connoisseur

no disrespect taken at all from you or our squirrel friend........all friendly vibes!! :2thumbsup:

only reason i had said that was because i personally have never had any real luck with just throwing plants outdoors and hoping for the best.....not saying it can't be done but the chances are far slimmer then with planning and preperation....but to each their own, if you can make it work for you then by all means plant them bitches!!! but for me, i am not so lucky, so i will stick to the way i do it ;)

on a side note.......this year i've kind of went all out, not in plant numbers but in site preperations.......doing 12 plants on a mostly south facing slope, around 6-7 hrs of direct sunlight each day. The holes i dug for each plant are 2'x2'x2', the native soil was HORRIBLE....mostly clay and TONS of massive rocks. So these holes were then backfilled with soil i premixed at a different location (some organic garden soil, coco, worm castings, and dolomite lime). Each hole was then saturated with straight water and mulched over with straw and then allowed to sit for a week and a half before planting. While waiting to plant i hauled up 2 55gal plastic barrels and rigged up "sloosh" ways to catch rain water in each barrel. After this i ran 1/2" poly tubing for each hole.......this will not be automated (which sucks) but at each hole there is a on/off valve so you just bend down turn the valve on for a bit then turn it back off and on to the next hole.....not a perfect setup but it does work for what ill be needing it for. After the plants were planted (may 20th) i needed to set up some sort of fence as the area my site is in is heavily populated with deer and other small critters that love our favorite plant.....so i pounded metal fence posts and ran 4ft high chicken wire all around the site (roughly 15' long by 10' wide), this should deter most of my animal concerns. We've been getting a lot of rain lately and it is supposed to keep it up for awhile so the barrels are about 2/3rds full each and haven't had to use any of that water as the rain falling has been sufficient for the plants in the ground. that pretty much sums it up i think......it's been a lot of work so far and it is only the beginning.....most of the work tho was hauling in everything by foot and frame pack about 2 miles from the parking spot. Anywho, sorry for the wall of text but if you have any questions feel free to ask......i'll also copy and paste this into my thread in the grow journals section that way we don't have to clutter up this thread. Keep 'em green! :watchplant:

- 42o -

3. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

OK, say hypothetically :D...
    Outdoors, if there were plants scattered around where they would get optimum light in woods-like trees...how many plants could you put in a say 10 gallon container? As each seed germinates I'm planting them directing into peat pots and then into where they'll stay some being in the ground, and some being in containters.

However, in the ground I haven't been digging this huge hole and filling it with 20-40 gal. soil. I've been watering with greatly diluted plant food every or everyother night. (according to directions.

4. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

This is dadgum hard work!

5. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

2 per container and train them apart in opposite directions...achieved easy with elastisized thread to keep a strain on the plant

damn rights....i'm gonna be a he man at the end of the summer

6. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

That is what I was hoping for. It is just going to damn kill me if my biggest are males....can you eat them? I read what you posted about 7' tall boys; oh my....it would made me physically ill.

But anyway...can you eat it, but say a lot maybe if it was male? I surely hope I'm gonna be lucky with all females. (dream on, right? :sunny:)

Just curious, have you ever noticed, that you can remember, what are the "better seeds"...as in which ones produced better.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

haha...i am sitting hee praying for rain...i need a break from the watering....3 days of rain will give me 6days break...lynn...the problem with outdoor pots is that the plants rarely get ''wide''..the branches usually wont extend far past the roots extending...many of use use wide holes...a 2 foot wide hole 2 ffet deep will give you a good sized plant...make sure the soil isnt hard packed in the pots...looser the better...with really good drainage....most of my holes are more like 18''by18'' because i went with volume....although my nicest baby is in a huge hole....and no....dont listen to anyone that says you can get high from a male...throw them in the composter and feed them to your other plants

8. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Thanks, ROLLINGA...if I needed to eat the males, I wouldn't have a problem with that....this is just to (hypothetically, of course) be for my own consumption. However, I know the "iffiness" of planting...farming, so to say....and out of 15 plants, I'm just hoping that 3 will make it, as in make it well...and out of 15 to 20 hopefully have some females, which I know to plant separately.

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

Ate my first few males the season already.... Preflowering clones and drones before moving outdoors.

10. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Sorry to worry y'all; but, I never really understood (one of) the original questions....

When is a plant "ready" to be transplanted into the ground? (or even outside) I have NOT been having success putting them directly there (outside), despite putting down sevin dust...they keep getting eaten off even with the dirt! Should there be a few leaves or what? I have 3 decent ones, well 1 decent, 2 runts. :( numerous ones that I'm germinating so that WHATDAMEVER can eat them at the soil-level. :)

11. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

So you let 'em do some growing inside, then, right Orison?

Cause I'm thinking that is where I'm messing up.

12. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

what i/we do is to start setting the tray of plants outside during nice weather..this usually involves putting them under a shady tree or bush....this allows the plants to get used to the outdoors...it is called 'hardening off'...bring them in again at night for the first couple nights....

13. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

But still, after the "hardening off" (I know what you're speaking of)...when I think it's time for them to take off...boom, they are DEAD at the soil line. period. :(

I know I've seen 10 to 15 "go" to seedling heaven that way.^ But I am persistent, and determined this year and have some more germinating, etc. I'll start the hardening off more; but as hot as it is here at night and day, I'm not thinking that is the issue here. I'm flummoxed.

14. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

hmmm...ok.....what strain?...do you know?...some connoisseur strains are difficult to grow outdoors.....

still need more info such as.
    ..did you pre germinate?
    and into what did you start the seedlings?
    ...did you attempt to use any store bought starter nutrients?.
    ..what height are the plants when you put them outside?...
    .how did you do the outside move?ie..into holes?..
    in their pots?
    what time of day did you transplant?

there is so many different things that can hurt a plant...even watering at the wrong time will shock and/or kill them ...water too cold...water too hot.....too much water...the wrong water...how long do you wait to visit them after moving them outside?...in the wild?or back yard?

more info...dont be shy:mickey:

15. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

what strain? (lol) have no idea...from some seeds of what I've been smoking but not anything special like white widow...
    I've been germinating the seeds in the old stand-by of paper-towel wetted down on a plate, covered by another wet paper towel and covered by plastic...so far, the germinating part is ok.
    I then put the "good" ones into peat pots which I've filled with potting soil. Some of the potting soil has had minimal fertilizer in it. I've also used "seed starter" soil (?) that I put in the peat pots. When I saw these bugers up and going I would put the peat pots in a prepared place...but they would not be tall.
    Is that ^ my problem? Not letting them get any real growth going before putting them outside?
    I've always transplanted them early morning, and watered them in the late aft or even at night. The thing about the water being too cold might be something, too...cause it's just water that comes from a well. I have been (about every other watering) putting in a teeny bit of plant food. The one single plant I have going that is doing ok is in a large container and should probably be topped; but, I'm ascared. But the color is good on all 3 (THREE) plants...just 2 of them are freakin stunted!
    Which being stunted is better than being DEAD like the other 15-20 I discovered "gone".

Edit: thanks so much for the advise, RollingA

16. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

the peat pots....they are awfyl..those peat pots restrict the roots..i bet if you bypass the peat pots you will have 1000 percent better results....the ones that they say can be planted,pot and all?right?...wrong..they are too thick for the fragile weed root and better meant for herbs..the root will stay within the pot and wont penetrate where as the peat pucks have a thinner 'wall' and the roots plow right through them......

..put the babyies in a regular pot with soil..when its time to transplant just hold your hand over the soil and turn the plant upside down..one shake and it pops out...

17. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

^my new hero:2thumbsup:

18. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

:blush5:aw shucks...t'was'nt nuttin:mickey:

19. vinnie kaz

vinnie kaz Banned

If the seedlings are being cut off at ground level, you either have cutworms, or slugs, munching your seedlings. Growing them larger before transplanting them outside would solve most of your problems.

Spreading diatomaceous earth and crushed eggshells on the ground all around the seedlings will keep the slugs and cutworms away. It cuts up their bodies as they crawl thru it, they do not like it.

If the plants are just falling over at the base, and the base of the seedling is a brown color, and looks like it was "pinched", then they are rotting away from fusarium wilt.

Fusarium is an infection caused by the soil around the stem staying too moist. A very cold soil temperature will also promote fusarium. Always water around a seedling, trying not to touch the stem with the water. A wet stem will promote fusarium wilt, which is lethal to mj plants. Fusarium kills marijuana quickly and efficiently, and there is no cure once the plant is infected. Keep the stems and the soil surface very dry.

Good Luck To You!

Vinnie Kaz