marijuana and depression

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Duck, May 30, 2007.

1. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

That's what I was gonna say...you stole my answer.

You're so smart :tongue:

2. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Smarter than your average David Bowie fan.

3. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

LOL You walked into that one, so I'm not even gonna go there...

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot truth

This describes my experience almost perfectly

I'm not going to go out on a limb and say this applies to everyone but I'd be inclined to give the same advice. Unless you have chronic clinical depression I'd strongly recommend wiring your brain to constructively process the lows and even yourself out without the assistance of weed or any other substance lest you develop a habit. Using a substance to even yourself out- whether it's weed or something prescribed offers a convenient escape without confronting whatever it is that is causing the low. The underlying issue remains and in all likelihood will compound.

Again, I'm not saying that one size fits all- there are likely those who can measure their use of pot and still confront issues that are bothersome but they are in the minority.

5. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

...a minority indeed. I must admit that I know people who are extreme potheads and function very well... but yet again, clinical depression is not something everyone experiences... and I still would not suggest a marijuana habit for those who are TRYING to fight it.

6. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

most people who experience depression experience mild to moderate depression. the pharmaceutical industry actually has huge campaigns to make people think that they're more depressed than they are, so they will ask their doctors for drugs.

granted, even mild depression feels terrible, so it can be easy to exaggerate, especially it you're not used to allowing yourself to feel good. but mild and moderate depression is not the same as clinical depression, and even severe depression can be successfully treated without the use of drugs, with competent care and the therapies I mentioned previously.

7. madcrappie

madcrappie crazy fish

IM going to agree with the majority here........ weed only makes you feel better, while the problem still exists..... its just like alcohol....... its a temporary solution. you drop off your high, and you are back to where you were once before.

people should find more constructive ways to deal with stress. Ive seen people chain smoke because they are stressed out, or get hammered on alcohol, or get blitzed out of their mind on dope.....

art and music are good ways out of depression and stress..... you can also walk, run, do any kind of sport..... just release that stress and tension and depression in other constructive ways

8. kitty fabulous

kitty fabulous smoked tofu

clinical depression needs more than the release of stress to treat. you have to actually observe and change your thinking which is why cognitive behavioral therapy (or zen meditation, for that matter) is such a successful treatment. exercise not only releases tension, it also actually alters the brain chemistry.

9. rasprophecy

rasprophecy Member

[​IMG]

10. BraveSirRubin

BraveSirRubin Members

Hush... n00bZ111!!!!111!!!!one111!!!one!!!11111