Manson In His Own Words

Discussion in 'Biography' started by TooMuchTheMagicBus, Aug 25, 2005.

1. TooMuchTheMagicBus

TooMuchTheMagicBus Member

So I've been reading this book called "Manson In His Own Words" by Nuel Emmons. I'd recommend it, it really sheds a different light on the Manson murders. The whole story is told in Manson's words from tape recordings of Manson telling Emmons the story and it doesn't justify the murders but it really goes beyond the hype and commercial media of "charles manson" and really goes into the true motives and reasoning, it's much more believable then Helter Skelter although it may not be as fun. The story he tells will still blow your mind though.

2. White Scorpion

White Scorpion 4umotographer

Does he explain his motive for his crimes?

3. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

I've read Manson in His Own Words. It is a really interesting book,if you want to hear his account of his life and the events that happened. But,I've heard that Manson denies even being part of this book. So,who knows...it's still a good read,though.

4. gunison

gunison Member

If you want a definitive answer to why the Manson Family committed the murders and whether or not there was any prior connection to the victims, read 'Helter Skelter' by Vince Bugliosi. He was the lead prosecutor at the trial. This was case made largely by circumstantial evidence (given an almost utter lack of physical evidece) and an important part of the prosecution's case was based on motive (Manson, for example, didn't actually kill any of the Tate victims, in fact.... read the book). So, the motive is gone into in painstaking yet very interesting and engaging detail.

Moreover, Bugliosi is an excellent writer. The case is presented very matter-of-factly and he puts the reader right in the middle of the action. All around an excellent read.

5. HuckFinn

HuckFinn Senior Member

Manson still denies that he orchestrated these killings. Are we supposed to believe that he was framed by his delusional followers? They've at least come to grips with reality in prison, but he's as whacko as ever.

6. TooMuchTheMagicBus

TooMuchTheMagicBus Member

I've read Helter Skelter and it is a REALLY good book BUT I think Bugliosi hyped up the whole Helter Skelter hypnotic magic man Manson thing. It's seems like it capitalizes more on the commercial hype of the Manson Family, "Manson In His Own Words" is a more toned-down realistic account of who the man really was.

7. Wonder Girl

Wonder Girl rhapsody in pink

Oh yeah,I've also read Helter Skelter....I still feel none the wiser to any of it. Who are we to believe...any author can be biased and any author can twist a story to make it more interesting(more money made that way). Both books are really interesting,but I don't believe either one is completely accurate.

8. gnrm23

gnrm23 Senior Member

do read the book _the family_ by ed sanders...
    he was one of them there hippies --- founder of the fugs, busted for writing "obscene" poetry & art magazines in the 60s, proprietor of the peace eye bookstore in NYC, etc... (also wrote great book on cults & cult leaders _mindfuckers_ check it out..)

9. SunLion

SunLion Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think Bugliosi hyped up the whole Helter Skelter hypnotic magic man Manson thing

That's certainly his style- lofty, bombastic conclusion-rendering. Which can be enjoyable, for instance, in his anti-Bush rants. But yeah, I think the Helter Skelter thing was a bit of a stretch. Maybe it's true, maybe not, I really don't know.