Manhattan Terror Attack

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by Aerianne, Oct 31, 2017.

1. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

True believers have always been around, believing in one cause or another. They are just the worst humanity has to offer in many cases, for example--their so-called cause. Running people down, removing their heads, rapine, destruction of the symbols of civilizations is not new. Takes a certain type of human to reconcile this behavior within themselves. Others are much less overtly violent ---they fuck people over by shuffling papers and making laws to benefit themselves, all the while lying about the fact they are doing it. Humanity--just bigger sticks and useful illogic to employ.

2 people like this.
  2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Threw a sickie today, a bit flu-ey, so had time to watch the morning news

Did a double take when I heard Trump say this on the attack:

"We have to get much tougher," Trump said. "We have to get much smarter. And we have to get much less politically correct. We're so politically correct that we're afraid to do anything."

Good on you Donald, saying what needs to be said

Maybe all Uzbekistani's can stay in Uzbekistan and work their tails off to make their country a better place - which on the surface sounds like a dumb thing to say, but really why not?, isnt really equality working to make sure every corner of the globe is as safe and wealthy as the next

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^but the thing is, the reason America hasnt been unable to institute any kind of widespread Islamic travel ban isnt because of political correctness, but because our constitution forbids discrimination based on religion

Trump tried to get around it by adding Venezeula and North Korea to the list but a judge didnt buy it and struck that one down too

And when Trump refuses to add countries like Saudi Arabia and Pakistan to the ban it kind of looks like he isnt trying all that hard anyways

Plus there's really nothing preventing an American from radicalizing too. We've seen it more in the UK where seemingly normal UK citizens up and move to Syria to jihad, I'm sure it happens here too.

The real focus should be how, why, where radicalization is occuring

And we all need to admit the west has completely destabilized the middle east over the last few decades and given radicals plenty of fodder. We can't really expect change unless we're willing to examine our own foreign policy

Already expecting plenty of kickback here for that last comment so I'll go ahead and say, that does not mean I am excusng terrorists who kill innocent people. But there is a bigger picture here and people are afraid to really look at it

3 people like this.
  5. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't know why he's still alive. He should be riddled with bullets, and nonexistent.....

1 person likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I meant more in a broader sense, thought it was good Trump said that, but not really concerned about any islamic travel ban or his other policies, think Pence and some of the other right wing cronies are the ones in charge of America at the moment, not Trump

But why did radicalization occur in this case? Because the guy won the green card lottery, only to get stuck working as an Uber driver for probably under minimum wage for 6 years, every one around him a lot wealthier and him pissed about that

Depends if you believe it actually was anything to do with radicalization, or if thats just the war cry, or it was really just about money and he ended up on a lower rung of the social ladder than he was on back in his home country. If instead he had gone to fight with IS, as an Uzbekistani he probably would have been seen more commie than muslim by other iraqi born IS fighters

Political correctness and embracing diversity, there is still that implicit racism that he has to pay his dues as a uber/taxi driver or 7 Eleven Clerk, something the left is just as guilty of propagating

I meant in a global / broader sense, why does a Uzbekistani have to migrate to the US in the first place, would he have bothered with the lottery if life was just as cushy back home

Racial diversity isnt the same as Racial equality, whats the use if even the most leftist citizens are never going to let them get past 7 Eleven clerk level

With political correctness we are all motivated by how we want to be seen, judged i.e feelings....not necessarily by the smartest thing to do first

Wouldnt the smartest thing to do is try bring up all the worlds poorest countries to an acceptable standard of living, wont solve all problems, you will still get dickheads like Stephen Paddock, but will solve most of the worlds problems. Immigration isnt really the way to do that, Maybe $8 an hour as an uber driver, paying NYC or Miami rent prices, I seriously doubt he was sending much money back home anyway

7. Joshua Tree

Joshua Tree Remain In Light

I wonder if being "less politically correct" is a euphemism for bringing back torture of suspects.

I don't think the issue is immigrants' wages. Just because you are poor doesn't mean you're going to drive a truck into a load of pedestrians one day. These people are driven by ideology, not lack of money.

2 people like this.
  8. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Deadliest terrorist attack in NYC since 9/11. Fucking sensationalist media again.

1 person likes this.
  9. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Exactly what it says on the tin. He was living in the US and while doing so he was radicalized. Why is this so difficult to grasp.

Do you? Where exactly?

Yawn. Since the guy with the funny hair came into play everyone is screaming about this shit. Which part of "radicalized in the US did you not understand? This is not Minority Report.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Actually it was the mayor and the governor of New York who they were quoting

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I think thats bullshit.

Most ISIS fighters joined up for ideology, or becuasse they were promised a bunch of "wives" and 10 times more pay than they were getting in whatever buttfuck little village they came from?

Everyone from the Columbine shooters, through to the Batman shooter, Boston Bombers to this guy....they all seem to have the one thing in common, losers that knew they were never really going to get anywhere in life. As if their motivations arent always more personal, more self involved.

Trouble is, most in the west seem to want to believe their motivations are more about some bullshit higher cause.

As if this guy had any clue about ISIS, or living in an islamic country for that matter, Uzbekistan was commie 27 years ago.

And if its not that its the bullshit mental excuse, or they had a rough childhood.

Seemingly ever rationale except us wanting to believe in this world there are some guys that are just total pricks. This guy was just a selfish, loser arsehole

3 people like this.
  12. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Ah thanks for correcting that. Saw the same headline somewhere else and didn't want to read the article.

Fucking sensationalist mayor and governor of New York.

13. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

^ This. If you closely at most of these people you'll find that they are just a bunch of losers. Low IQ, impressionable, lost job/girlfriend, socially awkward, no friends.

Then the meet someone - whether in person or online - and they get fed a bunch of bullshit. But now they finally belong to a group. They have FRIENDS.

2 people like this.
  14. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This one apparently had ties to watched individuals.

Saipov was never the subject of an FBI or NYPD investigation but he was reportedly on the radar of the authorities.
    Saipov was in fact interviewed by federal agents in 2015 in connection with a probe of terror suspects who overstayed their tourists visas, ABC News reported.

The suspect was listed as a “point of contact” for two men whose names appeared on a Department of Homeland Security counterterrorism database.
    Miller said investigators were in the early stages of digging into his past and terror links.
    “What we are looking for is how has he touched the subjects of other investigations,” Miller said. “It appears he will have some connectivity to individuals who were the subjects of investigations though he himself was not.” http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/manhattan/terrorist-sayfullo-saipov-feels-accomplished-nyc-attack-article-1.3603698

15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

How does this administration get "less politically correct?"

2 people like this.
  16. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Now, designers are considering innovating “truck stoppers” to prevent more of these Trucks of Peace from happening.

1 person likes this.
  17. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I'm inclined to agree with you. Especially as I see the lack of sophistication in methods. But every so often we get the real deal like Boston or San Bernardino. For the most part though I think your profile is more accurate. Which is why it's so insidious and there's no real defense since the FBI is asleep at the switch trying to avoid hurting feelings instead of analyzing profiles and looking for the needle in the haystack cases.

Another factor I think plays into this is that some "radical" Islamists get to the western world and the US and suddenly have it SO much better than they did at home. This could be a paradigm shift for them. It was for a number of Soviet agents over the years. One of my favorite scenes from Moscow on the Hudson was Robin Williams character bumping into a former KGB agent who made his life so miserable he defected. The KGB guy had defected as well and was running a hot dog stand, much happier than he was in Russia.

They come here expecting to find decadence and depravity on an industrial scale only to discover most westerners are just regular people trying to scratch out a living and provide for their families. While there is some measure of decadence and depravity, most of us can't afford much of it!

1 person likes this.
  18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]

19. hotwater

Islamic State claims responsibility for New York truck attack without giving evidence: the group's newspaper

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for a truck attack in New York City that killed eight people on Tuesday, the group's online publication said on Thursday.
    Islamic State said in its weekly issue of Al-Naba newspaper that "the attacker is one of the caliphate soldiers". It did not provide evidence to support its claim.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/islamic-state-claims-responsibility-for-new-york-truck-attack-without-giving-evidence-the-groups-newspaper/ar-AAunExb

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

IS claim everything to be theirs. If someone farted in a elevator and they all died from stink pollution, they'd jump on that and claim it to be of their own doing. Yeah fuck yeah that was our fart.

2 people like this.
  21. hotwater

Yes and no, he was clearly inspired by ISIS and was at least affiliated with radical elements within the Muslim community

22. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

Always.