Man on the Moon

Discussion in 'Conspiracy' started by wilsjane, Jun 5, 2018.

1. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I always wonder whether the science fiction writers knew something that we don't or whether the boffins at NASA read a lot of science fiction in their younger days.
    When we opened the film "Capricorn One" the sound consultant asked Peter Hyams the origin of the story. He simply smiled and replied "What story" Many people now accept that the moon landing film was linked together with several studio shots, which Peter may well have filmed, but will we ever know the full truth. Every year, someone manages to work out a little bit more about the direction of the sun on the day of the landing and question the shadows on the 'so called' genuine footage and question the timeline of it all.
    I don't believe in the sinister conspiracy theories, but perhaps that is because I don't see the truth as sinister. Once someone tells porky pies, it is difficult for them to find a way out of the mess that they have created..

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Many people are idiots.
    We already know the full truth, twelve men walked on the moon...not a sound stage.

3. wilsjane

I have little doubt that is true, but we were not told the whole story. Certain information was undoubtedly classified and studio shots of the spacecraft were used in the run up to and during gaps in the coverage to keep the program continuous and these were the cause of a lot of the doubts and speculation.

4. MeAgain

I never heard that studio shots were used for anything, source?

I used to have blown up black and white negatives (about 8x10) from one of the Hasselblad chest cameras used in one of the landings straight from NASA, I forget which one.
    We used to make contact prints from them of the rover, flag, astronauts etc.
    Stuff like this:
    [​IMG]

But I lost them somewhere.

Mike Literous likes this.
  5. wilsjane

These were the machines used to show the pictures to the public in 1969.
    I was there on the transmission, one of my first jobs in the film industry. Being qualified in physics and film engineering I was invited to help.

Eido13.jpg

6. wilsjane

I was talking about the giant screens in London that were used to cover the landing. More than 5,000 people were kept attentive by the program that was 'padded out'. Unfortunately, people did not all differentiate and that was the cause of a lot of speculation and debate after the event.
    I have already posted a picture of the Eidophor machines used for the transmission. These cost a fortune and went on to recoup some of the money by being used to cover events such as live boxing from America on London cinema screens.
    I am sure that the still material that was returned to earth was genuine, but some of it was classified and the rest was not released for several days.

7. MeAgain

Got ya.

wilsjane likes this.
  8. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I don't really understand what you are asking, but the main hard core, serious Science Fiction writers were not keeping any secrets. They were the brilliant visionaries for all possible futures....where main stream society got its ideas from. My father was reading Science Fiction as a small boy under his blankets with a flash light, as at the time....SF was poo poo'ed upon and travelling to the moon was laughed at, for instance.

Quote of yours...."Once someone tells porky pies, it is difficult for them to find a way out of the mess that they have created.."

Oh, really? Like L. Ron Hubbard, for example? He started as a Science Fiction writer seemingly serious enough about it, but then turned out to be a hack with his Scientology religion cult, which is an abusive religion....and made his money...People ate that up and still do, as people like bull shit...more than anything real or serious, it seems....just look at the US commander in chief right now, for instance.....as well. I do not see my two examples ever having to find a way out of any porky pies messes they have created and are creating...not that Hubbard is living any longer. LRH was a joke and embarrassment between the real hardcore, serious brilliant SF writer circles...

Do you really think that Isaac Asimov, Arthur C. Clarke or Heinlein were trying to pull the wool over anyone's eyes, for instance?

People have gone to the moon, as much as the conspiratists with any gripes they harbor still try to debunk.....I have no time for then or bull shit.......I don't waste my time on bull shit...life is too short for it.

I also have a fondess for several of the fantasy and horror writers' material.....and I like soft core SF also....like Revolt on Alpha C by Robert Silverberg......., which is probably the first SF book I ever read as a small child of 8 or so.

Bradbury became my favorite to read...very softcore SF with much fantasy and life lessons ....although, I did not care for the man's politics.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    tumbling.dice likes this.
  9. Moonglow181

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I'm not entirely sure about all moon missions but I never believe the first one. That shit looks fake as fuck and technology is making it look worse and worse as the years go by.

Perhaps they got there in the end on another mission. Possible. But while we all sit and look at photos of Mars I still have to wonder why they can't take a photo of that flag up there.

11. wilsjane

What I was saying was more the other way around and that some (but not all) science fiction is nearer to fact than we may believe. I find it difficult to accept that the human race is the only form of intelligence that has ever existed in the universe, but I do not believe that we have any reasons to fear the existence of other life forms.

Regarding the moon landings. Again, I have no doubt that they took place, but I believe that certain things were initially withheld from the public.
    You can see what I am saying from other posts on this thread.
    With it now known that more than one billion planets, moons and stars could have supported life in the past or in the future, I wonder if our mere existence holds a few secrets.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oh dear, you are one of those guys

13. wilsjane

I do not believe that it is a conspiracy, but we are not shown or told everything at the time.
    One of my first jobs was on the large screen Eidophor screening of the 1969 moon landing and as I mentioned, some studio shots of the spacecraft were used to keep the 5,000+ audience involved.. Although I am fairly certain that a few parts were edited, I never doubted the material transmitted from NASA.

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You seem to be hinting at the idea something spectacular is captured on certain NASA footage which could be so mindblowing or confusing it is withhold from the public. Like evidence of extraterrestrial life. That's a conspiracy theory, just a different one than the 'I believe the moon landing was fake' one.

Also, just because plenty of sci fi authors have intriguing and worked out theories or can have 'visionary' ideas on where society or technology is heading, and make excellent use of science in their fiction (which it is called for a reason! ) doesn't mean it is plausible they based it on real secret info lol. Like, it seems the likeliest to me that the guy who answered your question with 'what story?' was just keeping the fantasy/conspiracy alive. Probably just for good fun though.

15. MeAgain

scratcho likes this.
  16. Moonglow181

but what does this all have to do with the SF writers? I feel you may think they knew something that no one else did?....and covered it up or something? Nah.....
    Jules Verne?...and countless others?
    If they knew anything secretive, it must have been by osmosis and sheer brilliance.....lol.....not because they were privy to something others did not know.....and now we are into the govt cover up con conspiracy theories, etc...They were not part of any of that....and don't forget...many of the stories and books were written before the internet was even in place.......another idea that first came to be in an SF story.

I don't think we are the only intelligent life in the universe either....and there are many theories....about time being cyclical, etc...advanced races here before, etc...........so maybe that is where you are headed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
  17. Moonglow181

Exactly...the more real science used in any SF story......then it is more hardcore....and not soft core...what i meant before.

Isaac Asimov was one of the most brilliant minds...Not only was he writing hardcore SF ........he put out books like Asimov's Guide to Shakespeare...Asimov's Guide to the Bible.....

18. Moonglow181

Speaking of Sf visionaries......how about Leonardo Da Vinci...with his complex illustrations and diagrams of the first flying machines and all kinds of things?.....We can go very far back ...if we think about it.

scratcho likes this.
  19. wilsjane

I agree. My original point was that I have often wondered whether some (not all) writers have belief or some insight into extra terrestrial life. Some of heir stories predate modern sightings, but have a strange reality.

Regarding what we are told, it seems to be more of a denial than a conspiracy.
    Governments are aligned to the church in most countries, leaving me wondering if promoting theories of intelligent life fills them with fear about how the public will react and how it could affect them at the next election.

20. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

He was a scientific visionary for sure. More so than the greatest scifi author. And hey, i dig a lot of scifi don't get me wrong. But it is fiction. Stories to entertain and inspire and make people think about alternative possibilities etc. Not a daring eyeopener about real secret knowledge. But if i was a scifi author I might hint at that too ;) :p