males in yoga classes

Discussion in 'Yoga and Meditation' started by nudistguyny, Feb 12, 2020.

1. nudistguyny

nudistguyny Senior Member

I have started going to yoga classes in my area. I have tried different formats of yoga and have decided what I am looking for is a slower stretching type format I have found a couple of classes that meet what I am looking for. My question is why does it seem that a single male is frowned upon. Or at least that is the feeling that I get from the class. If you show up with a female partner it seems acceptable. But to be alone every one seems to be on a defensive mode. I am not doing anything creepy. I am just doing the class. Any ideas?

DrRainbow likes this.
  2. nudistguyny

As a newbie I tend to set my mat closer to the back of the class so that I can follow the poses easier. Taking the lead from those around me. I am not staring at other people. I am more concerned about body positioning and making sure that I am in the right pose etc. I keep to myself and try not to interfere with the people around me. Some people are helpful with suggestions are far as the poses go. But I still feel that there is like a wall between me and others for some reason. I shower before I go. I wear clean clothing ever time I go. I just do not understand it.

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

my guess would be that other single guys have in the past. but i don't really know.

Eric! likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lolz, bullshit you don't understand

5. parua

parua Members

^^^^exactly what I was thinking

6. nudistguyny

Okay what is it that I do not understand? The fact that I tend to have one row of people in front of me, that makes me creepy? The instructor does not do the poses with the class. So without taking a que from others what the poses are I admit that I am lost.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I would be seriously lost if I was anywhere near a yoga class....

Eric! likes this.
  8. DrRainbow

DrRainbow Ambassador of Love

Will you change instructors and start from fresh again if you see things different?
    What if you changed this? (What if you changed this without changing instructors even?)
    As close to the front of the class as you can so that you are a part of the magic while you are very new (those back there are no doubt magical enough by now.) and stay there every class until you find yourself accepted. It is important that you do not go to the back too soon because you belong here and the rest of the class can be disregarded completely until they approach you. Just switch off and ignore the moment things get in the negative. This is for your health nudistguyny.

nudistguyny likes this.
  9. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

I took a Kundlini class a number of years ago . It was a mix of men and women , but if I had been the only guy there it might of been a problem . Hatha and Kundlini videos are on YouTube for free . I dowl load mine and watch them on a big tv .

10. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I can't do yoga because I have sciatica, but I think it's probably a great thing to add into your weekly routine if your schedule can accommodate it. :)

11. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I see what you're saying - they're apprehensive or something. That may be because they don't want to seem over eager. :p Keep it up! :)

12. Varmint

Varmint Member

They act that way because of fear. It's the same thing that causes a gal to look the other way when a guy walks by. As if looking away will somehow make him go away or make her safer. The idea that said females may provide no interest or value to said male is irrelevant. They fear unwanted attention. I wouldn't concern myself over them or their behavior, regardless of how rude they may seem. You're there for the class, not the @$$.

Asmodean likes this.
  13. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

That's how it starts. They start giving you hard and mean looks, then they start making petty comments at you during class. If you still haven't left then they'll start throwing things at you. Once i was doing a stretch in yoga class and something hit me in the back of the head and i realized someone threw an apple at me. I turned around and a female in class was giving me a hard look. After that, that's when they begin to assault you. I'm telling you those female yogis can be pretty dangerous. They might end up following you then jumping you in a dark alley after yoga class. The only way for a male to advance in yoga is if your yoga instructor is female, is to sleep with her. Then everyone leaves you alone. But a yoga studio can be a very violent and dangerous place for a male.

14. nudistguyny

I haven't gone in a few weeks. I really need to start again. I guess I am just a guy invading their space. And they just don't feel comfortable with it.

15. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

That’s pretty much it. They think you are there to try to score. But look, go anyway and get your fuckin yoga on, man, hell with them! If you are consistent in attending, don’t make any advances at the other students, and keep to yourself- you will be considered less of a threat and seen as someone there with a purpose in trying to better yourself. They just need to be comfortable with you. Don’t give up and run away- be all up in that shit and get ya yoga on!

16. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

And remember to be extra alert. Even when leaving the yoga class. Make sure you park your car in a well lit area and never take short cuts. Women all of a sudden start thinking they're big and bad when they start wearing colorful yoga pants.

17. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

Another thought hear . Years ago when I went to the spa I loved to watch the women doing airobic exercises . Their female body parts bouncing all over . The women in the yoga class may not enjoy the idea of you watching their body parts bouncing all over .

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Go in the front row and accept that other guys have made them cautious in this regard.
    If you're there for the class and not for your fellow class members in any way this should be no biggie.
    If you do like to observe some of your fellow yoga class members and think you hide it well, and are wondering if they pick up on it or just seem to have this attitude because you're a single man in a largely female yoga class: i think they're probably picking up on something. Female intuition can be a bitch :p

19. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

You shouldn't have to do this but just pretend you're gay. Problem will be solved

20. tourguidewv

tourguidewv Members

I've been attending yoga classes for the last 3 years, and most of the time I' the only male in the studio. Maybe it's because I'm "older" (58 now, 55 when I started), but I've never felt like my presence was frowned upon. I've received on encouragement from the instructors and other students. Maybe I'm not considered to be a "threat" since I am older.

I'd look for another studio if you have an option. I don't think that attitude is the norm.

Tags: