making prayer flags

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by cerridwen, Jan 9, 2005.

1. cerridwen

cerridwen in stitches

Prayer flags are often used in many Asian religions and are gaining popularity here... so I've decided to make some of my own, and are very easy.

I bought a couple meteres of thin, colourful natural fibered material at a fabric store, cut them into squares, and sewn the edges to prevent fraying. I later got friends who wanted to make them write their own prayers with fabric paint, and we strung them out in the back yard to let our prayers blow in the wind, it actually looks really cool :)

2. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

i love that idea! i've wanted my own prayer flags for years. the local majickal shop is selling the buddist prayer flags for a LOT of money, and i'm not buddhist, so that doesnt really work for me, but cerridwen, you are a genius! i have a massive stash of fabric already...

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

actually, they are supposed to fray to carry the prayers to heaven.

4. urbangal

urbangal Member

I don't think one necessarily has to be buddhist to use/enjoy prayer flags. However if you are uncomfortable, create your own like cerridwen did. Any of your fav prayers/mantras/sayings/blessings, etc should work. Pick colors that appeal to you, write them with ink or paint. Oooo....sounds like a nice project on a rainy day or sunny day...or anyday *g*

urby

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

or a birthday! i'm going to do this today as part of my celebration of my life.

anyone have some nice sayings that would work well? i'm sure i'll come up with some of my own too