Making Music With A Computer

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by BladeOfGrass, Jul 3, 2016.

1. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Ha! I did too back in the day. Powerful software... But who has the time to learn all that shit?

I made some truly awful music with it. One or two were decent .

Irminsul likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh yeah all mine sucked too haha, simple beats. Couple of doofs here and there. I dunno, I can't music. I'm a good writer but I can't wrote lyrics without the music, and I'm not sure how to engineer it.

3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Sometimes semi-pro producers with a home studio will write music for you. They are relatively inexpensive. You just have to add the vocals. I know your lyrics are good. Do you feel confident to spit some rhymes?

Irminsul likes this.
  4. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh totally, my stuff is lit af. :D my whole EP is gonna be str8 fire!

5. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

There are current versions of FL at guitar center where I live in California. I haven't checked their site, as I'm more likely to lean toward Ableton, but I'm sure you'd find them currently available and updated. :)

6. soulcompromise

this is really nice, neonspectraltoast. :)

7. soulcompromise

The book for my Intro to Music Technology class said too that there are plenty of free Digital Audio Workstations out there; you just have to know where to look. Very cool! :)

I have found this site, kvraudio.com that has lots of plugins and lots of information about DAWs and VSTs etc. I post there when I get stuck/don't feel like youtube/google will cut it for whatever reason (sometimes it's more fun to talk back and forth with folks about something than to watch a video/read an article).

skip likes this.
  8. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

I've watched a few beat making tutorials on YouTube and even though Fruity Loops looks easy to use I think it looks too easy and most of the stuff that I've heard that I know was produced on it just sounds kinda samey. I know blame the producer not the tools. When dealing with Prosumer programs like FL or Grarage Band it is easy to get the Dunning/Kreuger effect happening.

C/S,
    Rev J

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

If you want to make real music use a real software program... Fruity Loops is not real software.

Reaper DAW is as powerful as ProTools if not more so. Personal license is $60.00, commercial license is $225. (ProTools is over $600 last time I checked, which was years ago) You can try a fully functional version for 60 days, after that you get a nag screen on startup but the program stays fully functional. (I haven't downloaded the latest version but that's the way it used to be, with just a 15 second nag screen on startup, probably still is)

It's fully documented and constantly updated/refined/enhanced, updates are free once you own the software. (Also free during your 60 day trial period) Works with all standard music file formats, (wav/mp3/ogg/etc etc) Full VST support (effects and instruments) MIDI support, automation, Latest versions do Video and surround sound also. I've used several actual DAW programs over the years and Reaper is so far the best out there.

Just google Reaper DAW for a link...

(DAW= Digital Audio Workstation.)

I'm still not doing anything with my music... Remodeling the house and outdoor work is taking all my time.

10. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Fruity Loops used to be lousy. It's just called "FL" now and it's much improved. I've heard a lot of good things about it. I'm thinking of going with it.

11. Intheknow

Intheknow Members

Acid pro is what the pro’s use. And have so for years That’s why Sony bought the company and if your lucky enough to get the old version of sound forge they still like the original version of that to.

12. Intheknow

Intheknow Members

This is incorrect it’s acid pro and original version of sound forge. Acid pro was bought by Sony

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Whatever you say chief...

14. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

Sorry. This is untrue. I was an audio production major and interned in a professional studio. We were required to learn Pro Tools since it is what is in every pro studio. As for sequencers from what I've seen Ableton Live is the go to.

C/S,
    Rev J

15. CentFLGuyhere

CentFLGuyhere Members

I still have my brother's commodore 64 he gave me and it still works to this day