make up

Discussion in 'Fashion and Crafts' started by xdancingbarefootx, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Dilapidated

Dilapidated Member

First of all, Bohemian_Child, thank you SO MUCH for that list! I always spend forever in stores looking at the small print on the backs of bottles for the phrase "not tested on animals" and you saved me a whole lotta time. :)

Anyway, yeah i wear makeup (not lately though) but only when I feel like it. THen I usually wear black eyeliner (my eyes get lost without it), blue mascara (today i bought purple cos the blue's kinda old :p black or brown is just boring), and foundation... i absolutely hate my freckles. It bothers me when people absolutely cannot leave the house without it.. half the time i dont even notice when other people do or don't wear it, i wear it because first of all i have nothing better to do with my time and also i feel more confident with it. :sunglasse

2. Sunset_tree

Sunset_tree Member

I hate my freckles too. Right now I am looking forward to seeing whether or not Lemon juice actually works on hair. My dad recommended it - I don't wanna use dye because its too much of a hassle.

I wear green eyeliner(it looks black tho!), lip gloss and SOMETIMES blush. Depending on my mood. lol

3. xdancingbarefootx

xdancingbarefootx Member

thats exactly what it means

4. Lizz

Lizz Member

I know I'm terribly late, but thank you for that list! That really is the main reason I don't wear it, I would actually prefer to wear at least some. :)

5. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

oh ok so I guess, jewelary, tatoo's and clothes and other things we use to decorate our bodies also are???!
    Idiot.

6. 0nomat0poeia

0nomat0poeia Member

make up and other ways to decorate the human body are only signs of being unconfident and brainwashed if it's like that:

some younger teenage girl only cares about what seventeen or other mags tell young girls about how to be or about what it sees on mtv. she's unconfident about her body and herself and copies what the media is telling her about how to be.

or:

you do it because of peer pressure or b/c someone told you how awful you look and stuff like that.

it is not a sign of being brainwashed if you like it because YOU decided to do whatever you do.

it's so lame to fight about if it's neccessary to wear make up - you know, everyone cares fo other rules so live and let live. :)

7. xdancingbarefootx

xdancingbarefootx Member

lol your the idiot jewelry and tattoos are all things that we use to express ourselves

makeup is not stupid lil girls like you think oh well im not hot and i have to get guys to like me so i NEED to wear makeup which just isnt the case nobody needs makeup and its not about art or any of that bullshit its about all of you feeling sorry about yourselves

8. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

My goodness. Why so harsh? Anyway, I don't wear makeup because I don't like to. I don't like the hassle. But, I don't care if anyone else does! I def. think people use makeup to express themselves. Some people are very bold and artistic with how they wear makeup...all the glitter and stuff. I've seen girls draw little designs on their eyelids w/ eyeliner. Shit, don't be so critical of other people. No one is forcing you to wear or not wear makeup. Be cool!

9. sarahstar

sarahstar Member

um i think that's up to the wearer and why THEY decide to put it on or not put it on. no one else really has any right to say why someone else is wearing makeup. personally i usually don't in fact i haven't in years BUT at festivals i've put on glitter and i don't think that's really any different. it's just a form of expression for some people.

if someone wants to use it as a creative outlet, good for them :) and if someone feels that they NEED it, that doesn't make them an idiot, that just means they have a little more to discover about themselves, maybe, or that that's just the way they feel comfortable.

i don't know, some people don't feel like we need clothes, but personally i just feel more comfortable going out with clothes on, so that's the way i will continue to leave the house ;)

DeNuttySquirrel likes this.
  10. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

yes, gosh you got it one. Makeup is only used by those of us who are horribly insecure, and your abuse of people with insecuirities helps them get over it really well. Inspirational stuff really.

and there is a big diffrence between NEEDING to wear makeup and PREFERING to...

But, if we are to accept your argument - why stop at makeup? i wear clothes because I need to (i get cold etc..and I think people will judge me if I don't.) i guess that's just a manifestation of the immense sorrow I feel for my poor, shallow self.

11. mick_jagger_is_so_hi

mick_jagger_is_so_hi Member

HAHAHAHA GO SOPH!!
    This is the last time I'm going post in this thread. That barefoot moron has NO idea what she is on about. Clothes, makeup, jewelary, tatoos and hairstyles are all forms of expression DUMBASS, I am not someone who wears it because I am not hot and to say that just makes it clear that you see people who look a lot better than yourself and get so increibly jelous you lash out against make up. You havnt said what you class as make up anyway you stupid dick, would you count soap, cleansers, toners or moisturisers as make up? They improve the clarity of your skin, keep away acne and help your skin to 'glow'. I am sure, however, that you use soap and other products on a daily basis!!
    You are so caught up in trying to be 'individual' and 'strong enough to think for yourself' that really your making a complete ass of yourself HAHA.

12. xdancingbarefootx

xdancingbarefootx Member

nobody "prefers" to wear makeup they feel the "need" to wear it its not about preference at all and i dont care if you wear clothes its the law in case you didnt notice but nobody forces girls to wear makeup its all in their heads

13. marymicrogram

marymicrogram Member

Women are made to feel insecure about themselves to make the little line on the graph go a little bit higher. What people will do for profits, right? Sort of makes you feel like your duty as a woman is to be pretty, doesn't it? Every television show featuring a sucessful career herione is about how the herione feels incomplete, and in the end a more sucessful career man sweeps her off of her feet and sweeps her into a home in the suburbs where she spend the rest of her days sweeping up the cheerios that their 5-year-old threw across the room. And then she's happy. That's right, my friends, to be a real woman you must be married, in the suburbs, with a child, and none of this will happen unless you buy Clearfinish, the magical foundation that covers all of your imperfections- none of that feminist business, either- that's just what the ugly women say to make themselves feel better. It seems like every movie or TV show these days has an 'ugly' tragically intelligent woman who is magically freed from her debilitating condition by a 2 coats of mascara, Cherry Berry lipgloss and a ranch home in Oppressedville just a few miles north from Beingtakenadvatageofbycapitalistprofiteerstown.

So to answer the question- No. I don't wear make-up because I think it's sick to convince 12-year-olds that they will grow to be Old Maids (and we can't have that) because the 12-year-old boys will only like 12-year-old girls wearing Sparkletastic Lip Stain (contact your local Avon lady) just so that some 50-year-old white male sitting in a swivvel chair somewhere in New York can buy himself that new sportscar he's been pining for and all the while he is certain that he will stay in power (and that his gender will stay in power) because only FOUR of the top 500 companies are owned by women because women are too busy worrying that their eyes are too close together (which is why they should use Essentially Black eyeliner by Jane, available at the department store near you) to notice that the glass ceiling is only INCHES above their heads!

14. RaZoRblAdEKiSsEs

RaZoRblAdEKiSsEs Member

i wear eye make up and foundation thats about it because i dont see a point in anything on my lips, i wear makeup because i like to be creative with it.

love.
    chelsea

15. FrozenMoonbeam

FrozenMoonbeam nerd

i just don't think that being an equalist and wearing makeup are mutually exclusive.

16. xdancingbarefootx

xdancingbarefootx Member

why would anyone want to put that crud on their face.. forget the fact that you all feel the need to fit in and crap but... what the hell is in that shit i dont like puttin shit on my face that causes pimples and other nasty shit

17. Bloody_Kisses

Bloody_Kisses Thizzler

i personally dont think people need it...i think everyone is beautiful, but if makeup makes someone feel better, then why not? its their descision.

18. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

While I agree with you that people don't need to wear makeup, dancingbarefoot, and the stuff that is in it can be NASTY ie recycled cooking grease, putting people down for doing it is not very nice. Why do you have to get so upset about it? If someone wants to wear makeup, let 'em! They don't need to be harrassed for it. People have a right to do what ever they want to themselves. Where's the love?

19. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

odd how we, as humans, get defensive over our choices?

I remember someone, maybe mick is so hip, maybe not, if I liked sex because I don't shave. I don't wear makeup either, and my partner appreciates REAL beauty and not a face out on for the public.

dancingbarefoot, do what makes YOU feel good, and that can be texturally, too.
    I touch my face constatanly and makeup would be a total waste of effort.

DO use sunscreen if you forego makeup. That sun protection built into most foundations is a grand idea.

20. gypsy_laurel

gypsy_laurel Member

All the world's a stage,
    And all the men and women merely players.
    They have their exits and their entrances,
    And one man in his time plays many parts,
    His acts being seven ages."

--From As You Like It (II, vii, 139-143)

So make up only adds to our character.