Mail question

Discussion in 'People' started by Z-Man1983, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Z-Man1983

Z-Man1983 Members

so I’m not sure where to post this. But I’m curious on something. Awhile back I found out my dad still owns my childhood home. I’ve talked to a lawyer about my options. I have to save up for him to file decree of descent. If your unaware that means when someone dies without a will this is the process of which to get it transferred to the next of kin, which is me. So I’ve been watching the house & while back I noticed there was no mailbox on the house. But today I found the mailbox. I’ve looked on google and it’s only illegal to open the mailbox if you intend on destroying the mail or defacing it. I just wanna know who lives there. I’m curious though if I open the mailbox and I see mail addressed to mom or dad can I take it? Cause I know mom nor dad currently live there. In fact I have their ashes so they can’t be living there?

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

You have found deeds, but that doesn't mean they own it..
    Local area councils etc are the ones to see, before you possibly break any laws..
    Just because there is no obvious sale or willing, doesn't mean there wasnt one..
    Good luck with this one..

3. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Ask your lawyer about the mail question. Don't do something that will land you in jail, especially if someone else is living there now.

4. Z-Man1983

Z-Man1983 Members

I’ve talked to him. He did a search and everything says dad owns the house. The neighborhood is run by notorious slum lords. As I rode by I saw several houses that could easily be considered condemned

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

At least he needs to check if the house is occupied. If so, they would probably be quite happy to hand over any mail that was not theirs.
    If not, here in the UK it is not a crime to open mail addressed to a deceased family member unless their is a criminal intent, but laws nay be different in other parts of the world.

Eric! likes this.
  6. wilsjane

The problem in posting this question on HF is that you are getting answers from all over the world.
    Every country has it's own laws and legal protocols.

Juicygurl90 likes this.
  7. Z-Man1983

Z-Man1983 Members

I’m just curious. I get not many have faced this situation. I didn’t intend on opening the occupants mail. I’m just curious who lives there. The deceased mail kinda popped into my head. Like plan for everything. Like the rare occasion that I look and see something with mom or dads name. I know neither live there.

8. It's highly unlikely that they live there since you have their ashes.

9. wilsjane

Then knock on the door and introduce yourself. Explaining that it was your parents house for many years will make sense to them and I am sure that they will invite you in and you will have a long and interesting discussion.

Lurking around will have the complete opposite effect. If they spot you, they will assume that you are some type of criminal.