Macron's open letter to EU citizens

Discussion in 'Politics' started by EloiseAtThePlaza, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

One of the mistakes of the EU is that it already expanded too fast by adding countries that weren't suitable or ready to join.

What you are talking about here is alternative reality. It can be interesting, seeing things from another perspective and all but yeah.

2. Asmodean

Putting the good ol' blinders on

3. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Lol, and what makes them suitable to join?

4. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Kind of thought this thread was meant to be about discussing the ideas in Macron’s letter, not the wisdom of the existence of the EU itself.

Driftrue likes this.
  5. Meeting the Copenhagen criteria.
    Political, economic, acquis communautaire, absorption capacity of the EU (probably not very high atm). Geographic criteria too, hence why Morocco's application was rejected.
    And specific special demands that depend on the country. Like cooperation with the ICJ in Croatia's case.

But you know all that already, you're just being cynical.

The problem is the lack of application of these reforms and rules after accession. Which is probably why Asmo jokes about kicking Hungary out.
    I am sure he'd like to see us out too though, so fuck you Asmo!

Of course, sometimes accession was rushed and more politically motivated, like it was in Romania's and Bulgaria's case. And clearly it doesn't work well that way.

Asmodean likes this.
  6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Van

LOL – there are already such unions. Do you know what a Trading Bloc is? The EU is a trading bloc and there are others.

As to forming unions of independent states then the US is an example – remember that states joined the union – there were 13 at the beginning but places like Oklahoma (1907) and Arizona (1912) didn’t join until later and Hawaii only in 1959.

7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Van

It seems to me that we have a sweeter deal than that now – the Norway model would be worse - but then every Brexit is worse than what we have now.

Did you read what a Norway Brexit would mean? How would that be an improvement over what we have now?

8. I am sure Poland would be thrilled.

9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Van

Ok well first did you read the article I linked to?

Dude, where's my North Sea oil money? | Aditya Chakrabortty

BlackBillBlake likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

IF they ally with me, I think so. :)

Unite us! Unite us! Unite the clans!

11. Haha

Germany and Poland

What could go wrong

12. lode

lode Banned

I remember when I still had faith in people.

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Explain your flow of logic there

I say, why not form a union between North and South america.

You respond with Do you know what a Trading Block is? The EU is a trading block

Huh?

Do you know why you spelt it bloc then? And not block, started with an agreement in 1903/4 between the french and english over what other countries they would let each other colonize

Then you give the US as an example of "independant" states forming a union....remind everyone again what happened when Alabama, Georgia, Florida etc wanted to leave.....asked back nicely where they?

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I wanted to hear Asmos personal definition of suitable ;)

16. Asmodean

Lol Mainly posts cynical bullshit. Asks for others to explain their logic.

17. Asmodean

They don't have to suit me personally. So my answer would have been roughly the same.

18. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Van

And….

So where did our billions go? Hawksworth writes: "The logical answer is that the oil money enabled non-oil taxes to be kept lower." In other words: tax cuts. When the North Sea was providing maximum income, Thatcher's chancellor, Nigel Lawson slashed income and other direct taxes, especially for the rich. The top rate of tax came down from 60p in the pound to just 40p by 1988. He also reduced the basic rate of income tax; but the poor wouldn't have seen much of those pounds in their pockets, as, thanks to the Tories, they were paying more VAT.

19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Van

What the fuck are you on about?

English Dictionary -

Bloc - a group of countries or political parties with common interests who have formed an alliance.

Block - a large solid piece of hard material, especially rock, stone, or wood, typically with flat surfaces on each side

The point been that countries do create trading groups the US is in one with Canada and Mexico maybe one day in the future other countries might join the EU started with six and grow.

Again what are you going on about?

The states did join but wanted to leave because they wanted to keep and expand slavery – are you saying you are in favour of slave states?