Macron's open letter to EU citizens

Discussion in 'Politics' started by EloiseAtThePlaza, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ugh, he had me until the first mention of Brexit

Defend our freedom......from the French President....

Didnt we do that two times already?

2. Visexual

Visexual Member

OK, all of you Europeans, at least your leaders have something that ours (the US) doesn't. And that's an IQ.

MeAgain and granite45 like this.
  3. Oof.

Do Brexiters just hear the word „European“ and immediately get triggered?
    Whenever a European leader is mentioned, the comments are almost always negative.
    Brexit happened because Brexiters weren't happy with the EU (although I agree with Macron when he suggests people were misled about it, and about their post-Brexit future, and not given any good solutions).
    Now a European leader is proposing reforms and it's still seen as negative??

I think his plan might be easier to achieve without the UK anyways :p

The EU is far from perfect, and as Macron states it is a project. It has a sui generis status, and it's a move in the right direction, imo.
    There is a lot of work and history behind it, and to throw all that away would be unreasonable.

4. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Eloise

It’s how they have been taught, it’s a Pavlovian response

5. I don't really understand this post tbh. What in that letter exactly is being addressed by the yellow vests?

Either way, I don't think France's internal affairs and problems make Macron's suggestions and message any less relevant.

6. lode

lode Banned

I'm just being flippant though. Europe's the tops!

Who would choose Antarctica in a continent pageant though? Penguins?

7. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

If the Brits are leaving the EU why this negative, bombastic reaction to Macron’s letter? As one of the larger economies in the EU it’s perfectly reasonable and acceptable for the French president to share his opinion.

Not to mention the opinion seems well considered and articulated.

8. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

No bombastic reactions from me what I meant was what qualifies him to give advice to the rest of Europe if he can't sort out his own country ?

9. lode

lode Banned

That's a logical fallacy.

Tu quoque - Wikipedia

10. McFuddy

McFuddy Visitor

Since no country is without issues I don’t really know what you’re trying to say.
    And as I stated, as one of the more prominent Eu members it makes perfect sense for him to share his ideas.

11. Fuck those assholes

12. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Winston Churchill personal life had been a mess he suffered from mood swings had incurred huge debts and he was often drunk, he had also proposed the Gallipoli disaster, used troops to crush strikers and some say caused the Bengal famine by not helping to stop it.

What qualified him to be Britain’s war time leader if he couldn’t sort out his own life?

Thing is that France has problems most countries do but we do not know that Macron might not ‘sort out’ some of those problems.

Asmodean, MeAgain and BlackBillBlake like this.
  13. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Eloise

Oh yes and the biggest arseholes are those Emperor Penguins, they are so full of themselves calling themselves emperors for fuck sake.

14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

This basically:

Global Finance Magazine - Percentage of Public Debt to GDP Around the World 2018

Modern economies come down to one thing, how well each countries banks are doing

Private debt gives away short term trends; housing prices, consumer spending etc

Public debt gives away long term trends; having to spend on infrastructure to lower unemployment, cost of welfare blowouts

As the article mentions, its dependant on who owns the debt, so you kind have to overlook Japan as its banks own most of Japans government debt ( but still not good), but on the flip side since China owns a huge chunk of US and UK debt, should be a lot lower

But basically any country over 50% on that list is in long term trouble

A few EU countries that are just plain broke, too many others owe too much debt to each other with no real way to pay it back

Or to put it another way. why is Norway the best performer in the whole region and not co-incidentally one thats only got its tip toe in the EU

Also, what McFuddy said, if the UK is supposedly the one that will suffer exiting the EU.....then why is Macron the one throwing a tanty?

15. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Gallipoli was the right strategy on paper, open up two fronts

It failed becuase no one knew how to fight that kind of war yet

16. lode

lode Banned

50% debt per GDP is not at all an alarming number.

Unless you do something crazy that'll drop your GDP by 8%. Like Brexit...

UK significantly worse off under all Brexit scenarios – official forecast

Asmodean, Balbus and BlackBillBlake like this.
  17. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

In the case of the UK I don't think the IQ levels of our current 'leaders' are that high. If you were talking about levels of greed and incompetence that would be another matter.

Visexual likes this.
  18. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Thats kind of what I said

Everybody above that is screwed

19. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Van

It had/has oil and has used that oil money wisely and also to set up the richest sovereign fund in the world.

The UK on the other hand pissed its oil money away propping up Thatcher’s fail experiment and tax cuts for the wealthy.

Dude, where's my North Sea oil money? | Aditya Chakrabortty

EloiseAtThePlaza and Asmodean like this.
  20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Van

Are you suggesting a UK Brexit should follow the Norway model?

That would mean it would still have to abide by the so-called four freedoms - the freedom of movement of goods, services, capital and people. So people from across the EU would still be free to live and work in the UK and Britians would carry on been able to live and work across the EU.

It would carry on making substantial contributions to the EU budget, and would still have to follow EU rules and laws.

All that and we wouldn’t have a say in making the rules, because we wouldn’t have any representation in any of the main European institutions.

Is that what Brexit means to you?

It seems to me that we have a sweeter deal than that now – the Norway model would be worse - but then every Brexit is worse than what we have now.