Macintosh, Or Linox?

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by magickman, Nov 20, 2016.

1. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

It's time for my monetary relationship to end w/ Sir Bill Gates. He's made enough money off me for what I see as recently, a not-so-great product.
    Mom has a Mac and although she's dealt with a learning curve, seems to be pleased with it.

I've always had my heart set on a Linux, but now I see someone has taken the time to introduce viruses to that line too.
    Somebody needs a real hobby or job, or a woman (lol), since they have nothing better to do than create viruses. These people should be traced down, if possible, and prosecuted.

Not a gamer, I just surf (a lot) and download music and video.
    Any suggestions?

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

well if you are concerned with virus and malware, your screwed, no system/OS is immune.
    Nice thing with MS is that they at least address stuff relatively swiftly. Apple takes a few months to react to malware.
    Linux would be the better of the two choices, IMHO.

1 person likes this.
  3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

From reputation that I know I say linox.
    But I never used either one. I also have no intention to in the near future.

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I have an older Macbook and really Enjoy it. It seems way better than the PC's I've had in regards to virus protection and being able to change, restore settings and the like. Updates and apps are fairly straighforward and it'll likely come equipped with iTunes for a music/video library. Also if you play music, there is GarageBand which is a DAW that costs only $5. Other DAW software can cost upwards of $200+ to buy at retailers.

I didn't find the Mac to have much of a learning curve personally, maybe the mouse(pad) might take a few days of getting used to.

I've never had Linux but From my understanding, Linux is much more flexible in terms of its customizability, so if that appeals to you, probably go that route. Although I seem to hear it having the steepest learning curve most often and somewhat difficult to troubleshoot, but I couldn't tell you if those are accurate criticism of it or not.

1 person likes this.
  5. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Ubuntu Linux some, errr, 9 years now? If it's surfin' ya want it's Ubuntu you should get. Not virus or spyware crap. Better yet, no Windblows!

I recommend 14.04 long term support. great one, 2 years on that version so far. no issues whatsoever.

1 person likes this.
  6. lode

lode Banned

OSX is BSD with a lot of interfaces built on top of it.

There is more malware written for it than Linux, and they are generally slower to patch than Debian or Ubuntu. Or Red Hat/Fedora.

IMO the champions choice is any Debian offshoot. I'm running Mint 18.1 Serena.

It's easy to use for a beginner, but has full power under the hood for your discerning nerd.

[​IMG]

7. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Macs and Windows are good for business simply because a lot of people do business on them and windows is better for gaming. For just browsing the web and listening to music Linux is more than you need. The reason people target Macs and Windows for malware and viruses is because they are so popular, while Linux is less popular, yet, updated continually making it the better choice for your needs.

8. lode

lode Banned

Nail on the head.

Androids and Iphones are a more popular vector for malware in 2016, because smart phones are more present.

The ideal attack vector for a hacker if one is not interested in personal data as much as they are scale are IOT devices. Things like networked webcams, security cameras. All over the place, never get updated.

Then such devices can be harvested for DDOS attacks.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3134056/hacking/an-iot-botnet-is-partly-behind-fridays-massive-ddos-attack.html

9. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

Linux Mint .

10. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

I'm using Kubuntu myself. It has a very functional and conventional desktop. About the only distinction I can see from windows and apple is that it doesn't have all the latest and greatest bells and whistles but, these days, those tend to be just consumer oriented B.S. for people with no knowledge of computers whatsoever and who have more money than time.

11. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

Linux does not have the best games , but most stuff is free. Distro watch has many of the distros as there released. I have never tried Kubuntu , but I did try Ubuntu as a live boot from a usb drive.
    www.distrowatch.com

12. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

There are a number of the distros that are for penetration testing , hacking . Kali , wifi Linux , black box , and a few more .

13. solar.lover

solar.lover Members

Mac vs Linux! I don't think Mac normally comes into comparisons they're such different systems. Basically, mac is super user-friendly and you can get many virus, but it's so retrictive you basically have no flexibility at all when you use it and Apple are a nightmare to deal with as everything has to be Apple and you can only get help at the Apple doofus bar. Windows is seriously underrated in my opinion. I have two systems one Windows and one Linux--if viruses are your main concern then I would go with Linux as that's pretty safe, but it's not so beautiful or sleek. I like the last Windows and don't find it bugs or anything. But you can also find more comprehensive comparisons in a google search: this article is a pretty good run down on the pros and cons of Windows and Linux which you should definitely look at! Hope that helps!

14. Sparkle Princess

Sparkle Princess Members

I have had several Mac Books.:D

15. new Athenian

new Athenian Members

Longtime Windows user I really like a couple Linux Distros , Elementary & Mint . The thing that keeps me with Windows is personal file migration. I've read quite a few stories of users not being able to migrate personal files to any Linux distro.
    My feeling is that developers haven't made this a priority along with printer compatibility . I have tons of personal files and a Brother Printer I'm very happy with and just have no desire to throw a monkey wrench at it.
    Linux developers ever fix this critical area and it will truly hit mainstream, as for now it's on the fringe just hinting at what it could be.

16. Boozercruiser

Boozercruiser Kenny Lifetime Supporter

Well I have never had Linux, so I really cannot comment on it.
    But I love my Macs.
    Prove it?
    O.K. then, but I am not bragging you understand!

I have

2 27" IMacs (One with Retina Screen. I am using that now. Really lovely).
    Previous model my Wife has the use of that one.

3 12.7" IMac Pro IPads.

3 10" IPads.

2. 7" IPads.

1 Mac Air 13" laptop.

1 Apple Watch 4

1 Apple Watch 3 (My Wife's).

IPhone 8 plus which is mine
    IPhone 6 which is my Wife’s

O.K. Apple is more expensive than the rest, almost to the extent of 'rip off'.
    But!
    I have never had any problems or issues with any of them over 5 years.
    So a good buy really.
    Particularly now there is no charge for upgrades to the latest operating system.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
  17. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

There are some Linux distros written to run on mac hardware . I have never used them so I dont know well they work .

18. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Our main systems run on XP professional which is the only Microsoft system that works, but sadly it's RAM capabilities are limited.
    I have windows 10 on a laptop and it is the worst operating system that I have encountered in more than 30 years. As slow as a snail, even with multi-core processors.
    I will seriously look at Linux when we upgrade our system, but I have concerns about controlling RAID and distribution of our email servers

19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

that's unfortunate. I've got Windows 10 on my "refurbished" like new Dell Latitude E6430. It works well. Every once in awhile one of the apps does something wonky though; usually itunes or the mail app. :)

20. Psychopath

Psychopath Members

Linux 100%