M.E.TEK revised w/pics

Discussion in 'Cacti Delecti' started by ancient powers, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Cephas

Cephas Member

Greetings from the land of the cactus (Peru). I only came back from living in LA for ten years a few months ago and recently I have been experimenting with San Pedro (want to be able to find myself again like I did so many years ago with cannabis). Unfortunately, I have only had minor results so far (not the right cactus, not enough tea, etc). Your technique, however, has given me new hopes and now I plan to test it next week. I'll keep you posted and tell you how it went.

"San Pedro" from Peru.

2. Gonzo_Kerouac

Gonzo_Kerouac Member

I am enjoying and learning a great deal from this thread. One Question. Is Pachanoi one the species of the South American genus (T something) ?

3. wutthe4k

wutthe4k Mr. Mojo Risin'

yes. you just said it...it's pachanoi lol.

T. Pachanoi

the T stands for like Tricherious or some shit haha

4. Gonzo_Kerouac

Gonzo_Kerouac Member

Thank you. I am old psychonaut experienced with peyote but never tried the South American type (Trichocereus -yeah that's it). They were the most sacred and satisfying trips I ever experienced. Sounds like very similar experiences here and I look forward to trying some.

5. Cephas

Cephas Member

Can you please explain steps 18-20 again. I don't get it; if one is supposed to extract the cactus juice with SAME xylene, what do I do with the rest?
    2. What do you mean by the three salted extraction water? Should I have three different jars for each third of the xylene and then mix them all? HELP

Thanks in advance.

6. Gonzo_Kerouac

Gonzo_Kerouac Member

7. Cephas

Cephas Member

Well, main reason $. I could get 2.5 feet of raw cactus for less than $10 and that's a bargain.

I've never tried it although i'm sure now that's about to change.

8. Ancient One

Ancient One Member

Im not a fan of the acid/base extraction, and find them nasty as hell chemically, but consider the xylene a conveyor belt. When the cactus juice has lye added to it, this strong base changes the alkaloids into a form which is soluble in xylene so they all jump into the xylene, when it is added to the solution. The alkaloids then all jump off the conveyor belt(the xylene) when treated subsequently with acidic water, because they change form again and only want to be in water. So xylene is like a bucket which hauls only the alkaloids from the original cactus muck, to a point where they are seperated by themselves in water. Once the xylene is emptied of its alkaloids, it can go back for more; its very efficient rather than using all new xylene.

Salted water means the acidic water that has drawn the alkaloids from the xylene in the last step; these water treatments are combined and evaporated to yield alkaloid crystals, and, in the case of this tech (stolen in great part from C123), an additional weight and mass of citric acid.

Simply, you liquify a cactus, add sodium hydroxide to it to make it a basic solution (alkaloids assume free base form), add xylene (which freebase alkaloids can dissolve in easier than in water), the alkaloids jump into the xylene, then seperate the xylene from the cactus juice, add acidic water to the xylene (which changes the alkaloids to its ionic or "salt" form which then dissolves in water easier than in xylene),at which time the alkaloids jump into the water. You are chemically filtering everything out of the cactus juice, except the alkaloids and excess citric acid, by changing the alkaloids solubility in water and xylene with the addition of either an acid or base...You would do well to review the concepts of "Acids" and "Bases" from chemistry. This type of extraction is problematical and possibly dangerous as well possibly poisonous and is best left to the chemically inclined and trained individual.

Keep in mind, the author of this procedure is "Ancient Powers", and not me, and he has "lifted" much of his tec from other hipforums contributors...

9. Cephas

Cephas Member

Mmm... you' ve made me wonder. Is this method as dangerous as you implied?

I do understand how the alkaloids are filtered from the cactus juice and the generals mechanism under which this occurs. However, you've made want to go and do some further research on the dangers of this method.

The question remains though, am I supposed to filter the cactus with the same 1/3 of the xylene 3 times (total of 9 times). How many recipients with salted water do I need, one or three?

Thank you for the advice,

Cephas.

10. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

11. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

12. Cephas

Cephas Member

Honestly Ancient, which one do you prefer when it comes to the final effect: the extraction or drinking the tea?

13. st3wy

st3wy Member

14. st3wy

st3wy Member

15. st3wy

st3wy Member

my bad

16. PeaceAndRasta

PeaceAndRasta Senior Member

r u suposed to take the spikes out?
    or when u just eat it?

17. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

18. Severely stoned

Severely stoned Senior Member

This is a very complex process but im sure it works the best. I might try it one day but for now ill just dry my cuttings and drink the powder from them with some water.

19. ancient powers

ancient powers Member

20. kil0

kil0 The Rebel

this thread is outstanding.

I would love to try this, but I dont know where to get cactus. can you buy it online?