Lunch...

Discussion in 'Protest' started by kokoyo112, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

No offense, but it's people like you who make "popular" kids exist in the first place, it's people who for some reason think they are worse or socially lower than them because they are popular for some mystery reason, there are no popular kids in Highschool, nobody is more popular than anyone else, and no one is better or worse than anyone else, and if anyone thinks they are popular or better than somebody, they are just retarted.

Peace and Love,
    Dan

2. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

I don't think my school has "popular kids" o fcourse we have kids that are more popular but they don't all hang out in a group and pick on the other kids or anything

3. SDS

SDS Member

I hope of course you saw what I wrote above.

But now I also want to comment on Angel Headed Hipster's idea "people like you make popular kids exist in the first place". Well here it's necessary to distinguish between a state of mind and a state of material affairs. I think what AHH is saying is that people shouldn't go around with a state of mind thinking others are better or they themselves are worse, people shouldn't have inferiority complexes because that legitimizes the idea that others are superior or more popular or whatever.

But here we're dealing with something else. A material state of affairs. It's your right to sit where you want. And if you feel some kind of social pressure to not sit at a certain table I think it's fine to go sit at that table and overcome that feeling and see whether it was just a feeling or whether in fact you were going to be pressured to not sit there.

As it actually turned out in this case (as I recall without me going back to read all the details) when you did go to the other table the other kids got up and left and did not hassle you with your right to sit where you want (unless it was for example by their body language or expressions). So they didn't do anything wrong. (Though I suspect they would have liked to.)

HOWEVER the actions of the principal in this case are totally wrong (if events are as I understand them). You have the right to sit at whatever table you wish unless seats are assigned. You need to stand fast on this right.

Incidentally-- and I forgot to mention this yesterday if you don't know this already but you probably do -- when you do advocate for yourself to the principal or any other person or group don't of course say that your wanting to sit at that table has anything to do with those kids being popular or anything else about them. It is simply an issue of being able to sit at whatever table you like no matter who else is or is not sitting there. In reality of course it is more than that. There is a social pecking order. At least if you let yourself be dissuaded from sitting where you want. That's why AHH's remark (I'm sorry AHH) is off the mark. Because to not have the attitude he talks about you have to assert the right in material fact. Do you follow me? But in defending yourself to others all you state is your right to sit where you want.

If you do not stand up for this right you in effect end up with a situation where "We do not serve people like you at this lunch counter. You are not allowed to sit here." You end up with a situation of privileged territory and that's not good and, regardless of your attitude, that creates a situation where others have the idea that they have some kind of superiority or special rights. You end up with a status quo of inequality and unequal rights regardless of what the law or the "book" or in this case the school code or whatever says. You either have a right to sit where you want or you don't. If you really have such a right it better be a right you can really use and you better stand up for it. If it don't pan out in fact it ain't there.

I also forgot to congratulate you on what you did. This is a top flight issue and you need to hang in there. The principal is wrong. He no doubt just doesn't want to rock the boat but he's totally wrong in maintaining or even trying to create a status quo that is an unjust state of affairs one where rights are not protected or don't exist.There do exist social pressures to keep people in their place. You have to stand up to them. This is what it's all about.

And then do me another favor. Remember what you had to do to overcome. And then don't become an overbearing jerk or a "popular kid" but invite to that table all the other kids who maybe didn't have the wherewithall to stand up for themselves. You do not merit more than they. And if things really went well the popular kids woudn't get up and leave and you'd all get to know one another and make friends. That's the way it's supposed to be but that's pretty idealistic.

4. element7

element7 Random fool

ha ha, here's another idea. Set up a checkpoint and charge em' to sit there :)

5. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

hahaha, me and my friends have an idea of getting to the lunch room early one day and getting all the chairs and selling them for .25 each :)

Peace and Love,
    Dan