Low(er!)-cal drinks

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by yesplease, Jan 13, 2005.

1. yesplease

yesplease Member

not sure if this is in the right forum but here goes...

so, I've been doing pretty good with becoming more healthy and losing weight (I'm not hugely overweight, but just looking to be more happy/healthy, yah know?).

anyway, one huge temptation/problem for me is alcohol...I'm a college student. Drinking is a pretty big part of my social life...I know that beer is baaaaaad cause it's full of calories, but what about liquor? any suggestions on what to drink that would be less calories? which liquors have the least/most amount of calories? thanks!

2. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Yeah, just stick to liquors.... I'm not sure which have less calories or whatever, but the higher the alcohol content the lower the calories obviously... :rolleyes: Perhaps clear liquors? :D

3. morningglory

morningglory Member

Bacardi and diet coke doesn't have very many at all!

4. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

to clear up some misconception, beer itself is not fattening. the most likely culprit is the food your eating along with washing that food down with beer. straight liqour depends on what proof it is. a higher proof liqour has more calories than a lower proof. now, mixing drinks will of course give you more calories. 1 big mixed drink could get you up and over 400 calories easily.

stick to what you like. if you know that your gonna be drinking that night, be mindful of the foods you eat. and take it all in moderation...

now, i too am a college student who loves indulging in drinking. i've been up to canada to drink on most of the days in the week, including school nights. were trying to go up to canada for every day of the week before this year ends (we haven't been up there on a tuesday, wednesday, or thursday...but every other day we've been up there, so 3 to go). but i know that after a night of drinking, i gotta work my ass off to lose what i gained cuz most of the times i do drink in excess of what i wanted to do.

5. yesplease

yesplease Member

ok so for tonight i drank vanilla vodka and diet coke.....with some diet coke and whisky (at the bars...)

so how "BAD" was that?!?!?!?

6. DwarfJuggler

DwarfJuggler Member

Whereas 1 beer may have 140 calories (mich ultra light has 95), a 1oz shot has just about the same. The alcohol content will only vary the calory content slightly. So, if you have a mixed drink, with 2 shots of 2 types of alcohol, plus the fruit juice or pop that you add (another 100+ calories), your drink suddenly consists of over 300 calories. And that's just one drink. A 4oz glass of wine is comparable, with the same amount of calories as a 12oz bottle of beer.

At one time, I too thought liquor was the loop hole to reduced calorie drinks, but alas, I was wrong.

7. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

Wow, never realized alcohol had so many calories.. :eek: Guess that explains why when drinking constantly I was never hungry.. :rolleyes: