Lotion?

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by ThePoetSappho, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What lotion do you guys recommend? I want something made with natural ingredients, economic, no plastics.
    Burt's Bees moisturizers are too oily.
    Dr. Bronner's too expensive.
    What do you guys like?

2. deleted

deleted Visitor

coconut oil..

Deidre likes this.
  3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I don't know--I usually buy whatever reasonably natural product is on sale.

4. Driftwood Gypsy

I go to the store and everything has plastics in it... isn't there just a moisturizer on par with Dr Bronner's or Burt's that isn't greasy or horribly expensive?

5. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

It's all in the beeswax. Probably one of the most underrated products on the planet.
    From preserving antique furniture, to waterproofing tents and making candles that do not wreck all the furnishings, nothing beats it.
    It is hardly surprising that its properties make it ideal for cosmetics. At less than £20 per kilo, this byproduct of honey should be used a lot more and not inflate the price of the cosmetics that contain it..

6. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

Same.

I like a combination of shea butter/coconut oil. You can even buy them separately, and just mix together.

7. Driftwood Gypsy

I might just end up buying Burt's and dealing with the oilyiness.

8. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Have you ever considered purchasing beeswax and the oils needed to make a lotion tailored to your specific skin. You do not need the perfumes and colorants that the commercial manufacturers use.

9. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Do you have a Whole Foods in your area? They have a good selection of beauty products and a lot of lotions out to sample
    Or a natural beauty/health store

If you dont have anything like that in your area your best bet is looking online.
    Alaffia makes some really good all natural products. I use one of their lotions and it absorbs into the skin well and isnt oily

10. Driftwood Gypsy

Here we call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck".
    Yeah, we have a couple here, I've been avoiding them for all their crunchy hipster psuedo natural, overly priced, virtue posturing....

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Thats probably all true but they're also the only national chain to carry a wide variety of all natural beauty products made by small, ethical companies that are sourced sustainably.

12. Driftwood Gypsy

Good point. So it all comes down to the age old question...
    buy environmentally friendly, far trade good stuff which is horrendously expensive
    or the cheap stuff made from child labour tears and decapitated puppy dog tails.
    I hate how getting natural ethical stuff has to be so expensive. It ruins it for poor people.... I get it, it's expensive because of the way it's made... but damn it's unfair to poor people. Yet another poor tax. I feel like the really ethical thing would be to make products affordable.
    Like, oh, this lotion was made from virgin honey bees and all the employees get paid living wages... that'll be 10X the competitor price.

13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah it's a conundrum for sure but sometimes you can find decently priced fair trade stuff

This is what i've been using for lotion, it's under $8 for a big container of it. It's actually a face cream but I didnt like it for my face so started using it as a body lotion instead and I love it -

Everyday Coconut Fair Trade Nighttime Coconut Face Cream