Loss

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Libbygrable87, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

How do you get over a loss of a friend or family? I have had three of my grandparents, my Step Dad, my first ex boyfriend, an old nanny and her husband, two friends, and a divorce happen in the last ten years or less and I have people that don't talk to me that where very close. I miss them very much. I think I am over it and then something comes up and I miss them all over again.

2. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

Mostly time.it still hurts, it just hurts a lil less as time passes.

Libbygrable87 likes this.
  3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Time heals all.

4. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

I am not sure about that. I think it is more about what you do with that time that will make a difference or not.

Meliai likes this.
  5. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

I don't believe you can "get over" these losses. You just keep living.
    If we let ourselves descend into depression, then it's not that we need to get over it, it's that we need to understand that the hurt isn't going to just stop.. We have to just begin living as we used to, with the pain as part of it.. And over time the pain will become less intense.

Libbygrable87 likes this.
  6. Libbygrable87

Libbygrable87 Members

I have friends that have lost their kids and I don't know how they do it. I have had friends that have lost spouses and siblings and parents.

7. Driftrue

Driftrue Banned

Because the only alternative to coping, is not coping. My sister died a few years ago.. My dad was pretty devastated. I doubt he feels okay about it now. But what can he do? It's let his own life fall apart, or not. Humans usually have a pretty strong survival instinct. Pain is part of living.

Libbygrable87 and MeAgain like this.
  8. bft4evr

bft4evr Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your sister. As a parent I think the toughest loss to take would be the death of a child. You expect your parents to pass before and you do but no one expects to outlive their child.

Libbygrable87 and Driftrue like this.
  9. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter