Lorazepam

Discussion in 'Pharmaceuticals' started by sball14, Nov 13, 2015.

1. sball14

sball14 Members

So, I've been prescribed buspirone (10mg) and lorazepam (.5mg). I'm kind of over drinking because it just makes me sick, and I want to get high. I never have although I am a big drinker. I'm 5'7 125. I've taken pills besides those, so I don't know if that means anything. But what dosage should I try? .5mg doesn't really let me feel anything. I still feel anxious.

2. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

Before you take anything... but especially this... Do some research. Lorazepam is a Benzo. Those horrible drugs have some of the worst side effects in withdrawals. READ up on them. Once your brain gets addicted to a Benzo, it may develop a tolerance for the drug requiring higher and higher doses or it will give you the very symptoms that had you taking the pills to start with: anxiety, depression, sleeplessness.. etc.

Kicking a Benzo unsupervised and cold turkey can be life threatening and doctors prescribe this class of drugs like they were candy.

Get informed. READ. Don't be a doofus.

3. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

Sorry.. I realize that you are trying to kick alcohol. I'm saying that kicking alcohol is probably EASIER than kicking a Benzo addiction, if you are on a Benzo for any length of time. So.. plot your course in a smart, well-informed manner. Don't come looking for dosage advice on a dang Forum and depend on strangers to practice medicine.

google is danged easy to use, dude.

4. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Generally how long would it take to develope an addiction to a benzi if youre taking the lowest dose prescribed?

5. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

it is true that you'll develop a tolerance very rapidly for benzos with the consequent dose escalation, etc. you'll have to wean off gradually when you want to get off it.

however, i don't think people on the internet know the OP's medical history better than his doctor does. if your doc prescribed you a benzo, take it. if it doesn't work or ends up producing adverse effects, you can change it later.

with all their negative effects, benzos are also very efficient and can help a lot of people. just because they have an elevated inherent potential for physical dependence doesn't mean that they shouldn't be used at all.

6. meridianwest

meridianwest Senior Member

in case of high potency benzos, like alprazolam, for example, a couple of weeks of daily usage would likely already result is physical tolerance. however, lorazepam should be somewhere in the middle, and it definitely has a lower potency than alprazolam (aka Xanax).

if you can at all, you shouldn't use them on a daily basis. i used alprazolam for years before developing a physical tolerance. i only took it when i needed it, which initially was only 3-4 times a month on average. but i was prescribed it for sleep issues, and i didn't need it on a daily basis. not every person can afford an intermittent schedule like that though. be smart and consult your doctor and read up on the pharmacology of the drugs.

1 person likes this.
  7. Blu3sLady

Blu3sLady Members

The real problem with Benzos is that most doctors don't explain the addiction factor. Either they don't know or they are simply doing a quick-fix. Withdrawals from them last the longest of anything I could name.

Alcohol?? Sweat, chills, vomit..etc.. three to five days... cold turkey. Never been there, but from what I've read.. the physical manifestation lasts about that.

Benzos?? For people who take them daily, some have reported up to a year's worth of withdrawal symptoms. They start as soon as you start weaning yourself off by cutting the dosage gradually. And if you don't wean yourself but go cold... Hey.. seizures?? heart attacks? Hallucinations?? High blood pressure?? Take your pick. The list of withdrawal symptoms will fill up your screen when you research it.

I had to kick Xanax. I was prescribed it when helping a family member fight leukemia. For stress. The doctor never ONCE told me that there could be any sort of issue when I stopped taking it. Yeah.. I just trusted my doctor. And yeah.. it helped me sleep. But... It took a YEAR of my life to be withdrawal-free. It was hell. I'll never go near any of that class of drugs again. I'll smoke some herbage if I have to de-stress.

I WISH I'd not been a doofus and done my own research before I ever took that first pill. I research everything now.

8. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

lorazepam is weak shit ... but its still a benzo. The tolerance rises EXTREMELY fast unless you take exactly as prescribed. If you abuse at all pretty soon you will have to take an entire scripts worth to feel even a little. Just don't run out, taper down before you run out or you will feel like hell and probably have a grand mal seizure....and then be constantly afraid of having a seizure at any second for the next week which really fucking sucks.

edit: you pretty much have to keep increasing your dose for it to be effective (even therapeutically). it's up to you how fast you want that to happen, but more tolerance means worse withdrawal

1 person likes this.
  9. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Admittedly I've only skimmed through this thread, however, it seems as if no one has answered your question regarding how much to take. (if this has been answered, my apologies).

.5mg will not do anything. 1mg will take the edge off during an uncomfortable scenario. 1.5 or 2mg is a comfortable recreational dose for a "beginner". Anything more than 2mg gets a bit hairy if you're new to this sort of thing. Don't go from 1mg to 3mg or anything like that... Simply increase your dosage by .5mg each time. I haven't touched the stuff since high school, however, 3mg was my sweet spot when used alongside pot.

On a side note, under my old username I once posted a thread which tells the original tale of how I acquired a script for this stuff by simply lying about non existent symptoms... I may dig around to find that...

http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/393359-never-doing-lorazepam-again/ <--- I was an embarrassing 17 year old... (also, I could have sworn I wrote a thread about the day I was prescribed them... Damn memories are getting all twisted)

10. bigrapp12

bigrapp12 Members

Lorazapam or Ativan is a good benzo. I was prescribed Lorazapam for about a year. I would have to take 2mg to catch a buzz. Its a descent benzo its not my favorite but its alright. Enjoy your Ativan when you first start taking it because that's when you'll feel it the best. Enjoy

superSklawz likes this.
  11. superSklawz

superSklawz Members

Ive been on all kinds of benzos but for the first time prescribed ativan. I have a tolerance so i take 3 or 4mg at one dose and i get a really good relaxed calm rush that evens out into a nice long time (day) with no anxiety and panic or stress. Definitely one of my favorites. Yes. underated.

12. superSklawz

superSklawz Members

ativan0.5mg.jpg Ive been on all kinds of benzos for the first time prescribed ativan. I have a tolerance so i take 3 or 4mg at one dose and i get a really good relaxed calm rush that evens out into a nice long time (day) with no anxiety and panic or stress. Definitely one of my favorites. Yes. underated.