loose meat loose weight

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Samhain, May 21, 2004.

1. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

my friends been a veggie for twenty years, she says when she first stopped even though she was eating fatty veggie products like cakes and nuts she lost tons of weight.
    is this usual has anyone else found this?

s

2. ericf

ericf Member

I weighed over 200 pounds when I turned veggie. Over the course of six months I dropped down to 174. That is still big for my height (5'5") but that is pretty major considering how much better I felt. 34 MBI -> 29 BMI. I dropped from obese to overweight. I was eating all sorts of food and never felt starved. I really should commit to dropping another 25 lbs for my health but I love food. :D

Yes I think you could say that people who switch to veggie will see a drop in their weight -- if they are big... and the bigger they are the bigger drop could be expected. They are changing their eating habits and will be finding a better method of eating. On top of that the fiber helps you get digested food out, so it isn't adding anything extra.

Okay... I have no real idea why it works at all... but it does. I don't know if it happens to everyone and I am sure the closer you are to your correct weight the less change (if any) you would see.

3. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

I gotta say I didn't lose any weight after going veggie... although I should have... lol...

See, the thing is, I messed up because I ate waaaaaaaaaaaay too much dairy (cheese is the worst), egg products for a bit (mayo) and overall lots of fries and crisps and other processed foods like that.

Now, a vegan diet would definitely make anyone lose weight... I've found that when I really manage to keep off animal products, I lose weight, regardless of what I eat. *shrugs* But losing weight, even as only a vegetarian, is much easier for me than losing weight as a meat eater...

4. babovic_sonja

babovic_sonja Member

Hmmmmmm, eric, this may be true for my case :D I'm 5'8 and weigh 150... which I'd say is maybe slightly overweight... but I only wanna lose like 10 pounds, and I'd say that's my ideal, slim weight.

5. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

Sonja's right about the dairy. Cheese is a damn sight more fattening that even meat.

I never lost any weight, thankfully. All those weight/height chart thingys said I was too skinny pre veggie (Yes I'm that bitch who can eat God knows what and it makes feck all diffrence to her waistline.)

TTFN

Sage

6. rain_in_summer

rain_in_summer Member

You're lucky Sage. [​IMG]

I didn't lose weight when I turned veggie, at least not enough to notice, but that probably was because I stopped eating meat shorty before christmas and christmas is always the time of way too much sweets and other food. So what I might have lost because of turning veggie I "balanced" by eating so much sweets and stuff. Not good, I know. [​IMG]

I'm a bit overweight, but not too much I think. Enough to mind. [​IMG] Some people keep telling me I'm completely normal, others say I'm fat.
    And me, I say I'm slightly overweight. [​IMG]

7. physicalxgraffiti

physicalxgraffiti Member

after 2 or 3 months of being a vegeterian i lost about 20 pounds, then i starting eating meat again for about a month, and gained it right back very quickly. i'm not sure if it was the kinds of meat i was eating (lots of sauce, fried) that did this, or the meat itself. but i stopped eating it and am back to veggie again because it feels much better.

8. Enron

Enron Member

I lost 12 pounds in a week, but thats mostly because of the politics with my parents and they refused to put anything on the table other than meat for a while. Over the past year ive gained it all back, stupid potatoe chips.

9. scrap_rat

scrap_rat Member

Dropped from 200 to 165. I could drop lower but intentionally choose not to. My ideal weight is probably some around the 150 mark--- I kinda like my extra pounds.

10. acetonephish

acetonephish lickage

hmmmm, ive gained about 3 or 4 pounds :p

11. Maria420

Maria420 Member

I didn't lose much weight from being a vegan...many 2-3pounds, but that is alos probably because I still eat alot of junk food like fries and chips. You could lose weight from being a vegan but also gain muscles. A few of my guy friends workout and play sports and they don't look like malnutritious children, even though they are vegans, they have nice bodies. It all depends on what you eat but if you went vegan and ate healthy then of course you would lose weight, but I'm a college student and smoke so of course I'll get the munchies.

12. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

I've lost over 40 pounds in the 15 months or so that I've been Vegan. BUT . . .

I made more changes than just not eating meat and dairy. I've also cut back on refined carbs. I eat very little bread (I use whole wheat tortilla wraps instead), very little traditional junk food like chips and french fries and cookies and cakes. And I don't usually eat bleached flour or white rice.

Most importantly, I very rarely eat out. Unless I go specifically to a Vegetarian restaurant, the food really isn't very good anyway, and the portions are too large and too filled with fat. I prepare my own meals, eat very little pre-packaged food, and eat mostly whole grains and fresh fruits and vegetables.

I prefer the way I eat now than how I used to eat when I was an omni, and I feel a whole lot better. It was the best lifestyle change I've ever made, and it's just a side effect of my ethics, which makes it even better. But you can easily gain weight, even as a Vegan, depending on what you choose to eat.

13. HappyHaHaGirl

HappyHaHaGirl *HipForums Princess*

I lost about 15 during the first couple of months that I started, but I've stayed about the same since...

14. Veggieburglar1963

Veggieburglar1963 Member

ahaha. thats exactly what my parents did, stupid parents, is there no acceptance for the vegetarian lifestyle in the middle of the suburban midwest? ahaha, i guess i could answer my own question. anyways. a couple of my friends have been vegetarian for a while... about half a year, and they're still fatasses. maybe its just because they arent trying, that and those fattening potatoe chips...

15. HappyHaHaGirl

Yeah...all I got tonight was cole slaw. But I made a veggie burger later... :(

16. MentalFloss

MentalFloss Member

I can't really judge weight loss after becoming vegan, because in the year beforehand I lost 80 pounds (weird metabolism thingy), and I was still losing when I went vegan. After that I lost 15 pounds but gained 10 back rather quickly as my doctor has me eating high calorie foods and such.

17. HappyHaHaGirl

I saw a girl on Tech TV that lost like 50 pounds playing Dance Dance Revolution. What a nerd.... :)

18. MentalFloss

MentalFloss Member

I saw something like that on MTV I think. My ex-boyfriend used to lose weight for wrestling by DDRing. He was hot ::drools:: ...what were we talking about?

19. IvSeenTwilght

IvSeenTwilght Member

when i first became vegetarian i didnt really know about the nutrition, and i never read any animal rights things, i just stopped cuz it was gross eating animals. well i figured that since i wasnt eating meat, i should replace it with more cheese and eggs. that was a bad move. i would eat so much cheese and eggs. like egg sandwhiches every day. thats real bad for you. I actually gained weight when i first became vegetarian. It really just depends on what you are eating. this was like 7 years ago. i turned vegan about a year ago, and i did loose weight. i was 115, and i went down to like 105 in about 2 weeks. i never went down anymore than that though. i think i read somewhere that vegetarians stay at their weight. like they dont loose or gain weight as easily as others. i think its true, because i was the same weight from my high school freshman year, till the time that i started college. i only lost weight when i became vegan.

20. flowerspirit

flowerspirit Member

I put on weight when I became a vegetarian.
    At the beginning I ate too much because I was afraid of getting too less minerals.... and now I donĀ“t know... maybe it is because of the pills i have to take.
    It is not funny but it is also no reason to eat meat again:)