Looking For Mr. Goodbar. Did You Hate It?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by PoetDude39, Dec 31, 2004.

1. PoetDude39

PoetDude39 Member

Okay, I know many folks think this is a totally depressing movie (and it is). And that Diane Keaton was the wrong choice for the lead (I actually liked her quite a lot). But I really think this flick does an outstanding job of depicting just how sleazy (and lonely) the bar scene could be in the 1970's. Plus the music is fun to listen to again, and the great tragic moment takes place on New Year's Eve. I sorta thought that was a nice touch.

I mean, even when I still used to go out on the town to bring in the New Year with style (and a lot of booze), I always found that night to be an especially sad and lonely one. No matter the amount of people and drinks within reach. And the movie does a nice job of capturing all the loneliness and false joy in a crowd. Because who wants to be alone on New Year's Eve? So we take a risk, and head out the door. And tell ourselves that anything is better than being alone. And hope the risk won't prove to be too great. That we will live to see a brand new day. Even though we could not make it through the night alone.

Peace,

~PD