Looking for a book about Africa

Discussion in 'Political Books' started by Rand0mX1985, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Rand0mX1985

Rand0mX1985 Guest

I'm interested in reading a good book all about the history of Africa.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, since both Morocco and Madagascar are considered Africa, if you want a really good book about their history you might want something more specific than just a book about the whole continent. Is there a certain part you are more interested in? Like maybe as big as the south of the continent or central Africa would already narrow it down a little. Specific interest in north africa means more and early history (as it can include countries like Egypt). South African history though starts centuries later.

3. Rand0mX1985

Rand0mX1985 Guest

I actually was interested in reading a book all about the what has caused the suffering in certain regions.

4. Asmodean

Which certain regions? ;) :p

5. Beca012

Beca012 Member

I can recommend the book "The Horn of Africa: Intra-State and Inter-State Conflicts and Security" It's an amazing read! Perhaps it's a bit too modern for you but it's a good complimentary book because it ties history and present together in a good way.

Here's a description:
    The Horn of Africa, comprising Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Sudan and Somalia, is the most conflict-ridden region in Africa. This book explores the origins and impact of these conflicts at both an intra-state and inter-state level and the insecurity they create. The contributors show how regional and international interventions have compounded pre-existing tensions and have been driven by competing national interests linked to the 'War on Terror' and acts of piracy off the coast of Somalia. The Horn of Africa outlines proposals for multidimensional mechanisms for conflict resolution in the region. Issues of border demarcation, democratic deficit, crises of nation and state building, and the roles of political actors and traditional authorities are all clearly analysed.

[​IMG]

6. Asmodean

Wow, that sounds like an interesting book indeed! How far does it go back (in time) in exploring those origins? (yes, it might a bit too modern for me too.. if it ony focusses on the last half century for instance) :p

7. Beca012

Beca012 Member

It goes back to the colonization at times but they talk about it only because it is essential to explaining certain situations etc :eek: So maybe it is a bit modern! Hmm... I think I found a better one for you though now when I went through my bookshelf and that's "King Leopold's Ghost" by Adam Hoschschil. I don't know why it never crossed my mind but that one is perfect if you want to know about the past. I'd still suggest reading The horn of Africa afterwards though because it's still a good "wrap-up" book that gives you a good basis. :) Hope this is helpful!

Warning: King Leopold's Ghost can be very shocking at times.

8. Asmodean

Sounds interesting for sure! Thanks for the tip :)