London murder rate rises higher than NY City

Discussion in 'Politics' started by 6-eyed shaman, Apr 1, 2018.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Exactly, being blatantly offensive is protected by freedom of speech.

The difference is that the ACLU isn’t American and not British.

You and balbus have made it abundantly clear that you’re only ok with freedom of speech, as long as it is speech you guys agree with.

I’m not going to cal you guys fascists or bigots, but silencing all speech of opposing voices, is a key ingredient of fascism. Just think about that for a moment.

I don’t like hard right wing religious psychos spewing their ignorance, but I’ll protect their right to do so. I don’t like left wing provocateurs like Michael Moore, but I’ll defend his right to do offend people.

I like that I have opposition from other points of view. I’ve had my mind changed and formed differently by listening to more than one side of a topic. But you and balbus wish to silence it all.

Because when Islamic extremists use terrorism to retaliate against mockeries of their religion, they use it as a tool to terrorize people into submission and compliance. This is how terrorism works. When the UK government freaks out about filers combining Islam and rainbow flags and censored it, they are allowing terrorism to work.

Shit like this is the reason why #Walkaway is gaining popularity

Anyways, my life threw me a very unexpected obstacle for the worst. So I’m going to take a long hiatus from subjects like politics for a while until I get things straightened out. I need to free myself from negative energy.

Take care.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  2. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

False. I've been saying, rather clearly, that people are allowed to march in defense of ideas, and certainly to voice their opinions. They aren't allowed to defame people, promote obscenity, or use "fighting words" devoid of intellectual content for the purpose of starting a fight. How often must I say this. It's not my opinion. It's the law. Lauren admitted that she wasn't sincere about her message but was simply interested in seeing how Muslims would respond to it--to provoke them.

3. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

No terrorism is involved. Lauren is the provocateur. I live in a community that loves America, land of the free, but it's generally understood that you don't say anything critical about God and country. They all know about the Second Amendment, and I suppose they'd agree that the First must also be revered, since it's in the Constitution. But if you said "God is gay", or "Amer'ca isn't #1", Lord help you. I mentioned we had a little neighborhood patriotic celebration for the Fourth yesterday morning. Last night I was talking about it with some of my friends, and one of them, a libertarian who hadn't been at the event, mentioned that he doesn't believe in putting his hand over his heart during the national anthem or the pledge of allegiance. After he left, another friend commented: "It's a good thing he wasn't at the celebration, cuz if he didn't put his hand over his heart they'd crucify him." I'm not sure they'd go that far, or even git a rope. But it's understood that nobody dares do something like that, and if they do they'll be hell to pay. I never thought of these folks as terrorists--just my neighbors--and I'm sure they'd deny it if you called them that. They're just outraged that anybody could dishonor our fighting men and women who risked or gave their lives for our freedoms-- by trying to express criticism of our country and our God. That's just the way they think, and the way it is. Same goes for Muslims.

4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope it works out. Namaste.

5. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

New statistic have come out showing that there has been a rise in the murder rate in the UK (still only 709 for the whole of England and Wales).

Now many on the right are doing the usual hue and cry about ‘falling’ standards in society and the ones on the far right imply or come right and say that’s it’s all about the filthy immigrants.

But any objective observer will see that the cause for this rise are mainly if not wholly down to the unnecessary and totally ideologically based policy of austerity.

And again this has been predicted and warned against but those on the right still have their fingers in their ears.

As Simon Harding the associate professor in criminology at the University of West London, says “Cuts to youth services mean young people no longer have premises on their immediate doorstep that they can go to, and between the reductions in policing and community safety, there is not a lot of partnership work or community engagement taking place,”

On one we have had cuts in police funding that has especially effected the number of police community support officers who are most likely to be on the street and be from the communities they patrol also the probation service meant to keep people from returning to crime have also been cut.

And on the other something even worse the cuts in social services and community programmes aimed at keeping young people away from the lure of crime have been cut. Once people turn to crime it can be hard to get away from so it’s better to stop it before it happens this alongside benefits cuts especially for younger people are making that a lot more difficult.

So what are the Conservative Party who are in charge doing about this - they are bringing in more cuts and renewing their commitment to the ‘war on drugs’

Okiefreak likes this.